Development At 10th St. And Ashland St.

tmariar

KHOU reported yesterday that there have been four fires in the last 10 days on the same property at 10th and Ashland. The city tore down the duplex there after the first three fires, but yesterday the scrap heap left behind was apparently found on fire.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

That's where I thought it was, too - but then saw something today saying there was a fire yesterday, bringing the total to 8 since August 11. Hope for the sake of those living in the area targeted that they find whoever it is soon.

Was walking the dog this morning and heard the fire engines and shortly thereafter the helicopters. The structure is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the block between Tulane and Ashland and is on an alley.

The fires are uncomfortably close to us (Rutland north of 11th) and we've been making sure to keep a look out when we go on our runs in the morning.

How can an arsonist set almost 10 fires in a month all within a few blocks of each other and not be caught yet?

Even if you don't have an official neighborhood watch program... how are neighbors not talking with each other, patrolling, taking turns spending the night in their cars with binoculars and walkietalkies?

Same goes with the cops. You know this guy is going to hit the same area a few times a week.. How has it gone this far ??

I sure hope not, because then stuff would be, like, burned in hate, which as we all know is FAR worse than being burned without hate.

I didnt think it was unoccupied...it was the structure with the skinny guy who sells and rebuilds old lawnmowers....As far as hate...naa...I think this is a developer, or someone trying to buy up lots in the area...its isolated to the more run down homes and outhouses...nothing worth much has been damaged yet. I think it could be someone looking to burn that which they cant buy...some of the older more run down homes may not have insurance, thus cant rebuild, and badabing...lot for sale. Wait to see who buys, you may just find your guy.

Also worth noting is its location within a block of the outpatient mental facility on Ashland/Waverly....not saying its a mental patient doing the burning, but Im not not saying that either....

I didnt think it was unoccupied...it was the structure with the skinny guy who sells and rebuilds old lawnmowers....As far as hate...naa...I think this is a developer, or someone trying to buy up lots in the area...its isolated to the more run down homes and outhouses...nothing worth much has been damaged yet. I think it could be someone looking to burn that which they cant buy...some of the older more run down homes may not have insurance, thus cant rebuild, and badabing...lot for sale. Wait to see who buys, you may just find your guy.

Also worth noting is its location within a block of the outpatient mental facility on Ashland/Waverly....not saying its a mental patient doing the burning, but Im not not saying that either....

you know, when i saw the house that was burned this morning "unscrupulous developer" was the 1st thing that popped in to my mind. i quickly dismissed it but i am so glad to see that i am not the only one who had that come to mind. after all why would a developer have burned the shed next door to the 1st house?

you know, when i saw the house that was burned this morning "unscrupulous developer" was the 1st thing that popped in to my mind. i quickly dismissed it but i am so glad to see that i am not the only one who had that come to mind. after all why would a developer have burned the shed next door to the 1st house?

Persistence?

It's tempting to think so, but if it is a developer then he must be either really desperate or just insane. Burning down properties in hope you can sweep them up and make a profit isn't a sustainable business practice. There's way too much risk vs reward. But, stranger things have happened. I'd put my money on either a pyromaniac or someone with a personal grudge. If someone knows the addresses, try looking them up at HCAD and see if there is any common ownership.

It is weird but yes, this came to my mind as well.

A few years ago Austin there were very similar occurrences happening in our neighborhood which was largely being bought up, torn down, and rebuilt. One building was set on fire 4 times in 2 days. If I recall right, the rubble was set on fire the last time the fire department came out. Eerily similar, though I think the lot was already purchased by a developer and the tenants were evicted.

There were several theories but one was that the developer didn't want to mess with tearing it down amidst the rest of the intact and tightly packed neighborhood. Far-fetched but still plausible.

Archived