HAIF-HD Upgrade

editor

Wow. I leave for a few days and come back and everythings changed.  This is what happens when you leave the Editor alone.  RedScare, I thought you were supposed to be watching him?

This is going to take some getting used to. I had just almost figured out the old site.  

Editor. Since your revamping the site could you make it so my Aspell spell check program works?  It works on absolutely every other forum and/or internet site but this one and I really need it. 

On-the-fly server-side spell checking makes browsers all crashy, especially on older computers. I don't think I'd put that on HAIF.

It's probably not necessary, anyway. Macs have had built-in spell checking across all applications for years. It's only a matter of time before Redmond gets on board.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually liked seeing the new HAIF gallery images loaded at the top of the main board. I thought it would have been a cool way to keep us updated. I for one don't usually go searching for new uploaded images, but that was a cool way to get the word out. Maybe those who do or don't like it can rate this message? If not, cool.

I don't mind having them on the front page, but I don't like them at the top. If I could reposition them to the bottom of the page, I would. But the routine was written really stupidly so that it can't be moved without breaking everything else. The developers have stated that they're going to put together an alternative that can be moved. When it's released, I'll re-enable this feature.

I think Trae is speaking of the darkened adspace at the top.

In that case, it's his punishment for using an ad blocker. Thanks for nothing, Trae.

Oh yeah!

I forgot about that!

Great job, so far!

Once the mobile site works again, I'll see if there's a way I can make it work with Android so I don't have to write a separate app.

In that case, it's his punishment for using an ad blocker. Thanks for nothing, Trae.

Once the mobile site works again, I'll see if there's a way I can make it work with Android so I don't have to write a separate app.

Ooo! How about a "Mark all topics read?" on the new msg screen?

Just realized I can adjust reputations!

Muahahahahaahah!

Ooo! How about a "Mark all topics read?" on the new msg screen?

Just realized I can adjust reputations!

Muahahahahaahah!

What's the difference between a reputation and rating. It's even in our profiles.

Someone could be rated 3 stars, but have a -1 reputation?

What's the difference between a reputation and rating. It's even in our profiles.

Rating is what people think of you. They rate you directly.

Reputation is what people think of your posts. Each post can be given positive or negative marks.

Someone could be rated 3 stars, but have a -1 reputation?

Yes. He could be a really nice guy who writes stupid things.

Reputation is what people think of your posts. Each post can be given positive or negative marks.

Yes. He could be a really nice guy who writes stupid things.

That could be me!

Yes. He could be a really stupid guy who writes nice things.

Or that could be me!

Depending on your viewpoint. :)

I edited Ed!

• Switch to .com
  • Sunday.
  • Holiday weekend.
  • Summer vacation season.

It's kind of a perfect storm, which is why I chose this weekend to do the upgrade -- it would disrupt the fewest number of people.

Yeah, it has gotten much better today. Not only because there's some more activity but because you've put so much effort into restoring the functionality that was at first lost with the upgrade.

There's still sort of a bloated effect, and it is coming as much from the "top heavy" banner as it is from a perception of there being extra white space between posts. But it seems as though with each passing hour, HAIF is returning to an increased level of user-friendliness.

I shouldn't have doubted you as you clearly have a master plan in mind, but a little forewarning would've been nice. Changing up HAIF in any significant way is like changing up the prescription meds of a bunch of geriatrics living in a group home, all at once. We're all a little weird to begin with, but shock our systems and some will get anxious, some will lavish you with praise, and others will become obnoxious haters.

Yeah, it has gotten much better today. Not only because there's some more activity but because you've put so much effort into restoring the functionality that was at first lost with the upgrade.

There's still sort of a bloated effect, and it is coming as much from the "top heavy" banner as it is from a perception of there being extra white space between posts. But it seems as though with each passing hour, HAIF is returning to an increased level of user-friendliness.

I shouldn't have doubted you as you clearly have a master plan in mind, but a little forewarning would've been nice. Changing up HAIF in any significant way is like changing up the prescription meds of a bunch of geriatrics living in a group home, all at once. We're all a little weird to begin with, but shock our systems and some will get anxious, some will lavish you with praise, and others will become obnoxious haters.

That's why I was keeping my sniveling to a minimum; I knew he was working on it and it would take a considerable amount of time. He'd eventually get to it without people whining or nagging at him.

Changing up HAIF in any significant way is like changing up the prescription meds of a bunch of geriatrics living in a group home, all at once.

Exactly. It would be extraordinarily dangerous to give them warning, and a chance to revolt.

• Fixed. It now takes up your full screen, and overflows onto the TV screen in the next room, and your screen door.

gruel.jpgPlease, sir, Can i have some more gruel?

It's all lookin good.. almost feels like home again actually.

Only thing i have to get used to is not having the "New" button work like I'm used to if I'm currently under "members".

On-the-fly server-side spell checking makes browsers all crashy, especially on older computers.  I don't think I'd put that on HAIF.

It's probably not necessary, anyway.  Macs have had built-in spell checking across all applications for years.  It's only a matter of time before Redmond gets on board.

Well I don't have a Mac and I have been using this program for years without any problem and I have never ever heard of anyone else having a problem with it. 

How about giving us the ability to delete the photos in our gallery. I posted a few while experimenting, trying to get them hosted by HAIF so I could use them in my posts, but that either didn't work the way I wanted or otherwise didn't merit them being in a photo gallery forever and ever.

You mentioned in an earlier post something about now being able to host images on HAIF for use in threads. I've got a bunch of photos from fireworks on the 4th, so how do I do that?

How about giving us the ability to delete the photos in our gallery. I posted a few while experimenting, trying to get them hosted by HAIF so I could use them in my posts, but that either didn't work the way I wanted or otherwise didn't merit them being in a photo gallery forever and ever.

It doesn't look like there's a setting for that anymore. But if you tell me what photos you want deleted, I can go in there and manually take them out.

You mentioned in an earlier post something about now being able to host images on HAIF for use in threads. I've got a bunch of photos from fireworks on the 4th, so how do I do that?

Just use the Attachment section that appears below the writing area when you are writing a post.

Click on the "Choose File" button. Pick your picture. The click "Attach This File." Then when it's uploaded, click "Add To Post" and it will be inserted. You can attach more than one image to a message.

I totally don't know if this will work, but...

If you have an Android phone, hit HAIF and see if you end up with the mobile version. I mucked around in an area I had no business being, but it's worth a shot. Let me know if it works.

It doesn't look like there's a setting for that anymore. But if you tell me what photos you want deleted, I can go in there and manually take them out.

Just take them all out. I've got some good sets to upload, but I want a fresh start.

I totally don't know if this will work, but...

If you have an Android phone, hit HAIF and see if you end up with the mobile version. I mucked around in an area I had no business being, but it's worth a shot. Let me know if it works.

I tried it, and as far as I can tell, I'm not getting a mobile version on my Android.

24 hours after you wrote that, how do you feel know?

Much better. The fever is down, and my left hand and eye no longer twitch. :)

Having watched the fixes come online over the last day or so, it is clear that the old comfortable parts of the old forum are coming back. The new forum now feels like a new pair of shoes. They fit, and they look great, but it just takes a few days for the leather to break in the right places.

Just tried out the Blackberry HAIF. Sweet! Looks like it belongs there. I'm ready for the next hurricane now!

Archived