Halbert Park At 200 E. 23rd St.

OutfieldDan

It seems to me that Halbert Park is being avoided by most nearby residents recently. In place of families with children and dogs, we have more thugs and gang members. It doesn't help that there is a basketball court there. It seems to attract tough guys from outside the area. Rarely do I see an HPD cruiser drive around. I think I have only seen one in the past 3 months late at night.

There is a recurring graffiti problem, and I often observe suspicious activity involving supposed "basketball players." I believe that gangs are congregating there and mask their meetings with the appearance of playing basketball. Usually later at night (about 9-11pm) I see groups of young men on the basketball court and only one or two of them are shooting baskets. The rest sometimes smoke something, or huddle closely together. Cars come and go. Such was the case last night and more gang graffiti was at the back of the park this morning.

I have been trying to go there as much as I can late at night to walk my dog, and I try to stay close to the basketball court. I think we need others to do the same to make the thugs feel uncomfortable with our presence.

that's why the hoops came down at Proctor Park and it's been great.

please call 311 and report any and all instances of graffiti. also, if you are suspecting bad behavior and don't see any police, call them. sqeeky wheel gets the grease!!

Not only does calling get response, but it gets logged as activity, which can result in increased patrols. If and when you call, if it looks like drug activity, TELL THEM it looks like drug activity. Numerous vehicles arriving for short periods of time, "loiterers" leaning into the vehicle to "talk", exchanges of small items between persons, all of these activities can be indicative of a drug deal. While loitering, especially in a park, may not get a police response, suspected drug activity will.

Is there a special phone number to call, short of 911? I don't want to call 911 all the time to report suspicious activity and apparent drug dealing that I am not sure of. I figure I'll call pretty often. Last night I'm almost positive there was a drug deal that happened about 8:30PM between two parked cars near the basketball court. Two men were in one of the cars. One got out, seemed to stumble to his car, and then both cars left.

Besides that, the park needs to be improved. Maybe put an iron fence around the park and improve the grounds. There is a playground for kids, but it's getting run down. There is old PVC plumbing from some building that was torn down that's exposed. Someone suggested a dog park. We can do a lot to bring more honest local neighbors to the park.

HPD is at 713-884-3131. A call to the Heights Storefront is probably in order, too (during the day).

I can say that almost without a fail - the absolute quickest way to increase gang activity and shady figures is to install a free to the public basketball court. I have seen neighborhoods put them up, and spend a fortune making courts only to turn around and remove them 3 months later due to the drastic increase in crime associated with basketball courts.

When I was looking in the area there was a house right near the courts that I decided against buying solely because of the presence of the basketball court. Seems that they become permanent hang outs for 17-25 yr old young males who dont work and still manage to afford nice cars. I dont mean to jump to conclusions here, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to connect those dots.

I had never heard of Halbert Park, so I looked it up. From the Key Map, it appears to be the rear portion of Hamilton JHS. Is that the case? If so, is there no football field there anymore?

No, it's at Harvard and around 23rdish - just to the NE of Hamilton. Hamilton still has its football field.

No, it's at Harvard and around 23rdish - just to the NE of Hamilton. Hamilton still has its football field.

this whole thread makes me sad, too, b/c it has sooo much potential to be a great park. not a donovan-style playscape-o-rama, but just some solid green space. i wonder who we can notify about that??

additionally, i think that close to a middle school, the police might be a little more receptive to calls.

I think we need others to do the same to make the thugs feel uncomfortable with our presence.

I saw this email address in a previous post for the central division of the HPD, centralpatrol2district@cityofhouston.net . I have never used it before but I imagine it would be an easy way to communicate your concerns and to follow up if there is no progress.

The March, 2009 newsletter of the Sunset Heights Civic Club includes the following:

"Our "Second Saturday at Halbert" was canceled due to the weather, but we got some trash pickup done the third weekend which was beautiful. Right now the side of the park next to Cortlandt is a staging area for the Cortlandt reconstruction project as are residents' yards."

Just FYI, but perhaps you should contact SHCC with your concerns since they are apparently actively involved with park upkeep.

Just FYI, but perhaps you should contact SHCC with your concerns since they are apparently actively involved with park upkeep.

Yes, Sunset Heights CC runs the park. I think there are some improvement suggestions on the table, but I don't believe that taking down the basketball courts is being considered, at least not seriously. The park is unfortunatley affected by Courtlandt street construction right now. However, it appears that Courtlandt adjacent to Halbert Park will not be reconstructed, maybe because of preservation of oak trees.

Last night there were more neighbors than usual, and that's great. Some were playing tennis. The thugs playing basketball seemed to have been outnumbered for a change and they didn't linger.

I agree that we should cause this park to be improved. Taking down the ugly basketballcourt - pigeon hatchery would free up lots of space for more greenery, etc.

Hasn't Halbert Park always been "kind of rough" part of the hood? I remember walking through that area many times when they were trying to rebuild/gentrify that area in 1996-2000 and it's come a long way, but I guess it still has a way to go...displacing others or not. As long as you have active neighbors and an increasing tax base, they won't be there for long bc they simply won't be able to afford it.

One word of caution, be careful and try to act like you are minding your business when out there, esp if you don't blend in...we are in a recession and armed robbery is common in that area(reported or not). :)

Yes, Sunset Heights CC runs the park. I think there are some improvement suggestions on the table, but I don't believe that taking down the basketball courts is being considered, at least not seriously. The park is unfortunatley affected by Courtlandt street construction right now. However, it appears that Courtlandt adjacent to Halbert Park will not be reconstructed, maybe because of preservation of oak trees.

Last night there were more neighbors than usual, and that's great. Some were playing tennis. The thugs playing basketball seemed to have been outnumbered for a change and they didn't linger.

I agree that we should cause this park to be improved. Taking down the ugly basketballcourt - pigeon hatchery would free up lots of space for more greenery, etc.

just to say, we have had a lot of luck in myneighborhood park (proctor) with taking down the nets. however, the concrete itself adds a lot to the park for the kids- a canvas for sidewalk chalk, a place to practice new tricycle and bicycle skills, scooter riding and other things that are great for kids but you can't do on the grass. so, take the hoops down but don't desire to tear up the pavement. it might be more beneficial than you imagine ^_^

Outfield Dan's campaign of intimidation (I kid, I kid!) seems to be working already...took the kids there last night and no one was playing basketball, plus a police cruiser came by. Still some "shady types" hanging about. I actually take my kids there quite a bit and haven't had any problems other than occasional language drifting over from the courts and seen guys lighting them up in their cars. That being said, I'd be all for taking down the nets - I'd be annoyed if I lived in the immediate area about all the activity. My peeve is all the couples who go there to grope each other on the benches in front of the kids...really?

Is there a special phone number to call, short of 911? I don't want to call 911 all the time to report suspicious activity and apparent drug dealing that I am not sure of. I figure I'll call pretty often. Last night I'm almost positive there was a drug deal that happened about 8:30PM between two parked cars near the basketball court. Two men were in one of the cars. One got out, seemed to stumble to his car, and then both cars left.

Besides that, the park needs to be improved. Maybe put an iron fence around the park and improve the grounds. There is a playground for kids, but it's getting run down. There is old PVC plumbing from some building that was torn down that's exposed. Someone suggested a dog park. We can do a lot to bring more honest local neighbors to the park.

There is also an email address to report suspicious activity (not emergency). For the HEights area that email address is centralpatrol2district@cityofhouston.net

That goes to Carol Trautwein who heads up our district's police. She is very responsive and if you send email everytime you see suspicious activity, you will see an increase in patrols.

In the past I have complained about particular suspicious activity to our DIST H council member's office, who at the time was Adrian Garcia, and they got on it too. So call the police but also contact your council member. Currently, it is covered by the assistants in that office, but they do a great job. At one point, they set up a successful sting operation with our cooperation, so don't think that your calls go into a black hole. They listen and they take action.

One word of caution, be careful and try to act like you are minding your business when out there, esp if you don't blend in...we are in a recession and armed robbery is common in that area(reported or not). :)

I am being careful. I try to stay alert. I've entered the phone number for the police and the email for the central2district into my phone, and I will use those numbers to contact the police whenever I see suspicious activity.

This morning I noticed a pair of dangling tennis shoes that are hanging down from a support of the basketball court roof. This can mean drug and/or gang activity. I'm not sure how long they have been there.

The immediate neighborhood around Halbert park is probably above average for the greater Heights area. There is new construction on Courtlandt, 23rd St, Harvard, and 24th St. Many professionals live within a block or two of the park. The neighborhood gets a little fringy further north, but it's still nice with new construction and renovations.

I am being careful. I try to stay alert. I've entered the phone number for the police and the email for the central2district into my phone, and I will use those numbers to contact the police whenever I see suspicious activity.

This morning I noticed a pair of dangling tennis shoes that are hanging down from a support of the basketball court roof. This can mean drug and/or gang activity. I'm not sure how long they have been there.

The immediate neighborhood around Halbert park is probably above average for the greater Heights area. There is new construction on Courtlandt, 23rd St, Harvard, and 24th St. Many professionals live within a block or two of the park. The neighborhood gets a little fringy further north, but it's still nice with new construction and renovations.

Is that in Sunset Heights? Dangling shoes is very bad. I have called and emailed the city about the ones dangling over N. Main at 26th-ish for years. I don't know a quick easy or safe way to remove them from the power lines, but if they are hanging from a support you should be able to get them down.

Let's organize a neighborhood walk outing around that park. We did it over here in East Sunset Heights a couple of times. John, the Sunset Heights Association president can send out an email to the neighborhood and post it on the website to meet there at a certain day and time and we can come and make ourselves very known. It doesn't mean being mean or rude to these guys, we just want to outweigh the bad with good. If we do it regularly enough, while rotating days, it may get rid of them. I will get some ESH folks to join including myself. I will contact John and ask him what he thinks and post here. Are you an association member?

Let's organize a neighborhood walk outing around that park. We did it over here in East Sunset Heights a couple of times. John, the Sunset Heights Association president can send out an email to the neighborhood and post it on the website to meet there at a certain day and time and we can come and make ourselves very known. It doesn't mean being mean or rude to these guys, we just want to outweigh the bad with good. If we do it regularly enough, while rotating days, it may get rid of them. I will get some ESH folks to join including myself. I will contact John and ask him what he thinks and post here. Are you an association member?

Fantastic idea! Request HPD surveillance if at all possible too. Be persisitant.

This thug activity is increasing all over, its an epidemic and wait until school lets out. Media or officials downplay the reality at hand. Can we buy rocket launchers? Serious

This thug activity is increasing all over, its an epidemic and wait until school lets out. Media or officials downplay the reality at hand. Can we buy rocket launchers? Serious

I agree. It seems that there is more gang grafitti around the Heights area than there used to be. I saw some prominent grafitti today while riding my bike on 20th, 12th and Heights. The more we get outside and are present, the better. If we see suspicious activity, we should report it and get the police to patrol more often.

From the Sunset Heights CC website: http://sunsetheightshouston.org/

"The Sunset Heights Civic Clug meets the last Thursday of every month at the Houston Brethren Church (Main at 23rd)." I guess the next meeting is April 30? I plan to be there.

I agree. It seems that there is more gang grafitti around the Heights area than there used to be. I saw some prominent grafitti today while riding my bike on 20th, 12th and Heights. The more we get outside and are present, the better. If we see suspicious activity, we should report it and get the police to patrol more often.

From the Sunset Heights CC website: http://sunsetheightshouston.org/

"The Sunset Heights Civic Clug meets the last Thursday of every month at the Houston Brethren Church (Main at 23rd)." I guess the next meeting is April 30? I plan to be there.

Though I live in ESH, I am joining the SH association. I am lobbying to reunite the two into one association as it used to be.

The neighborhood walk I speak of would IN NO WAY include confrontation of any kind of the thuggish types. It is merely about making good neighbors feel safe in their neighborhood again and empowering everyone to take a stand. In fact, we should look them in the eye as we pass them, smile and say "good evening." It is easier for them when they are ignored, and of course you don't want to get into negative confrontation. Anyway, we did it a few times over here and it made us all a lot more aware.

I have sent John an email and I expect to hear back from him soon. I will post if we come up with a day or time and all are welcome to join. It is actually a lot of fun. Maybe we could even have a little pickup game of b-ball.

It seems to me that Halbert Park is being avoided by most nearby residents recently. In place of families with children and dogs, we have more thugs and gang members. It doesn't help that there is a basketball court there. It seems to attract tough guys from outside the area. Rarely do I see an HPD cruiser drive around. I think I have only seen one in the past 3 months late at night.

There is a recurring graffiti problem, and I often observe suspicious activity involving supposed "basketball players." I believe that gangs are congregating there and mask their meetings with the appearance of playing basketball. Usually later at night (about 9-11pm) I see groups of young men on the basketball court and only one or two of them are shooting baskets. The rest sometimes smoke something, or huddle closely together. Cars come and go. Such was the case last night and more gang graffiti was at the back of the park this morning.

I have been trying to go there as much as I can late at night to walk my dog, and I try to stay close to the basketball court. I think we need others to do the same to make the thugs feel uncomfortable with our presence.

Hi OutFieldDan. I am with the Sunset Heights civic club ( http://sunsetheightshouston.org) and we just got our citizen patrols kicked off this month. We currently only have 15 volunteers and it would nice if we got the word out to get more. All volunteers are trained by HPD on how to look for suspicious activity and call it in. Two of the volunteers live around the park and try to keep an eye on it. I also make the park the beginning and ending of my patrols. It is going to take a lot of us from the neighborhood to take things back. I have lived here since 1998 and things are much better than back then. The neighborhood was much more transitional back then. However, crime and suspicious activity at the park has gotten worse in the last year. That was one of the reasons I got into the citizen patrol program. Getting all the paper work done and getting enough people trained and approved by HPD has taken 5 months.

Back in Feburary I saw a fairly big bust done by HPD at the park. They got around 4 guys and tow trucks took the cars off. Near the end of March I saw another arrest at the park. If that activity can continue then I think the bad element will start to get the message.

Yes, the next civic club meeting is April 30th.

Hi OutFieldDan. I am with the Sunset Heights civic club ( http://sunsetheightshouston.org) and we just got our citizen patrols kicked off this month. We currently only have 15 volunteers and it would nice if we got the word out to get more. All volunteers are trained by HPD on how to look for suspicious activity and call it in. Two of the volunteers live around the park and try to keep an eye on it. I also make the park the beginning and ending of my patrols. It is going to take a lot of us from the neighborhood to take things back. I have lived here since 1998 and things are much better than back then. The neighborhood was much more transitional back then. However, crime and suspicious activity at the park has gotten worse in the last year. That was one of the reasons I got into the citizen patrol program. Getting all the paper work done and getting enough people trained and approved by HPD has taken 5 months.

Back in Feburary I saw a fairly big bust done by HPD at the park. They got around 4 guys and tow trucks took the cars off. Near the end of March I saw another arrest at the park. If that activity can continue then I think the bad element will start to get the message.

Yes, the next civic club meeting is April 30th.

Everyone truly needs to ban together. I used to work in those same exact areas and seldom saw frkg graffiti. :angry:

My dream would be for all of the nabes within close proximity to meet and discuss ideas and strategies to "put the fire out before it spreads" We are on the Near East side of downtown & see this bad wave approaching. HPD is so up to thier necks with this same problem "THEY NEED HELP". Some of you long time residents may recall back in early 80's we had "Neighborhood on Patrol". This was a very similar idea that worked quite well. Volunteers would take turns on certain days just slowly cruising around & reporting suspicious activity. Perhaps I can round up others from around my area & join in on the meeting, we have had it too trust me!

Remember though, city says we must have low income apt housing in all nabes. Talk about counter productive. The Heights has always been sprinkled with bad apt complex's then there is the run down Near NorthSide...thats a whole other enchilada.

Remember though, city says we must have low income apt housing in all nabes.

Let's not start blaming the poor. There is a homeowner in my neighborhood, he stole fallen Iraq War American soldiers' identities to purchase items to sell. Stats: homeowner, white, middle income, male, 60's. There was a homeowner in River Oaks, stole a lot of money from a lot of people, fell a large corporation, stats: homeowner, upper income, male, 50s. I grew up in Tanglewood/Briargrove. When I was 11 years old, me and several other kids from our upper income white homeowning families would sneak out at night and roam the 'hood. We stole things from people's cars, broke into houses and hung out and drank their liquor. Some of us are now pretty high up executives all the way up to CEOs of successful companies. We hung out behind some bushes at somebody's house and drank beer and smoked cigarettes. We shoplifted. When caught, they would call our parents who would come down and pay for what we stole. If we had been of color we would have been considered a street gang. Police would have been called. Records would have been recorded. Since we were white, upper middle income, we were considered kids sowing our oats.

Let's blame criminals. Let's not go to war with a broad brush. Let's be specific and go after the criminals. There are good, hard working people who live in the low income housing that are also trapped by these criminals. They have nowhere else to go and voices that are not heard.

Blaming whole segments of society for the actions of a few bad apples, that all segments of society have, gets us nowhere. Taking action against those that are committing crimes, that is what will get you somewhere. Helping the children of poverty to get educated, proper housing and nutrition, that will help curb the helplessness and hopelessness that can lend itself to the sociopathy that we see in our criminals.

Instead of grumbling about it, take positive action.

My question to everyone: What are you doing for your community today?

Edited by EMME
  • Like 1

Blaming whole segments of society for the actions of a few bad apples, that all segments of society have, gets us nowhere. Taking action against those that are committing crimes, that is what will get you somewhere.

Good Post. Seems like this discussion went from "There is potentially illegal Activity in My Neighborhood" to "There are 'Thugs' playing basketball at the park who annoy me when I try to walk my dog/kid there". Vastly different topics.

Most of the so called "thugs" most likely live in the neighborhood and not all of them are criminals. It's possible that some of them play basketball and stay out of trouble.

Too bad for them that they upset your idealized vision of what living in the Heights was going to be.

• Like 1

Good Post. Seems like this discussion went from "There is potentially illegal Activity in My Neighborhood" to "There are 'Thugs' playing basketball at the park who annoy me when I try to walk my dog/kid there". Vastly different topics.

Most of the so called "thugs" most likely live in the neighborhood and not all of them are criminals. It's possible that some of them play basketball and stay out of trouble.

Too bad for them that they upset your idealized vision of what living in the Heights was going to be.

Note that the hysterical post came from a non-resident of the Heights. The other posts suggesting increased visibility in and around the park to deter those contemplating criminal activity is still a good strategy. Increased activity around the park will cut down on potential crime, as the criminals do not like being watched. Budding basketball stars, however, do enjoy an audience, so they will stick around after the drug dealers move on.

Stick to the good strategy of watching, being visible, and keeping HPD's number available, and leave the histrionics to those who should probably be more concerned about their own neighborhood's problems.

Note that the hysterical post came from a non-resident of the Heights. The other posts suggesting increased visibility in and around the park to deter those contemplating criminal activity is still a good strategy. Increased activity around the park will cut down on potential crime, as the criminals do not like being watched. Budding basketball stars, however, do enjoy an audience, so they will stick around after the drug dealers move on.

Stick to the good strategy of watching, being visible, and keeping HPD's number available, and leave the histrionics to those who should probably be more concerned about their own neighborhood's problems.

I live in East Sunset Heights. Halbert Park is in my neighborhood. And I agree. The increased exposure will serve a dual purpose, encourage those there to play b-ball and run those off that are there for nefarious reasons.

My next question would be though, what to do in the nether hours when nobody is going to want to be out (9:00PM on). Increased lighting would be helpful but not ideal since increased lighting on the park means increased lighting on the neighboring houses. Anybody got ideas for the late hours?

I live in East Sunset Heights. Halbert Park is in my neighborhood. And I agree. The increased exposure will serve a dual purpose, encourage those there to play b-ball and run those off that are there for nefarious reasons.

My next question would be though, what to do in the nether hours when nobody is going to want to be out (9:00PM on). Increased lighting would be helpful but not ideal since increased lighting on the park means increased lighting on the neighboring houses. Anybody got ideas for the late hours?

One simple idea is to ask HPD to enforce the park hours. All City of Houston parks close at 11 pm, unless otherwise posted. Therefore, anyone in Halbert Park past 11 pm is trespassing, giving HPD a legal reason to approach the person and inquire why they are there. Anytime you walk or drive by the park after 11 pm and before 6 am, call HPD and point it out, noting that the park is closed during those hours, and further noting anything else that is suspicious. Pointing out that there may be drug activity going on will get their attention, though I caution you NOT to make things up. If they get the impression that the callers are liars, they'll start ignoring you.

Remember, it is the little things, like visible neighbors eyeballing the park that tend to run the criminals off, not full SWAT actions. The drug dealers are trying to operate under the radar, and they are constantly looking for signs that they are being watched. Anything that gives them that feeling that they are being watched is subtle encouragement to move on.

Edited by RedScare

ATF, FBI and SWAT are all at house in the 900 block of Aurora since early this morning. No news yet on what brought them there. A neighbor tells me that the occupants of the house have been problematic for a long time. She reports drugs, dogs, chickens and fights. Perhaps these kinds of law enforcement efforts will help eradicate the Halbert Park and other gang/drug dealer problems. I will report more as I know it.