Why is Editor in Chicago?

IronTiger

I don't understand why Editor is based in Chicago while the rest of us live in Houston, suburbs of Houston, or cities that aren't suburbs of Houston but experience lots of traffic to and fro Houston.

His GeoTag doesn't say HAIFER IN EXILE, and so on.

What's up with that? Why isn't Editor a Texan?

I don't understand why Editor is based in Chicago while the rest of us live in Houston, suburbs of Houston, or cities that aren't suburbs of Houston but experience lots of traffic to and fro Houston.

I moved to Houston from Cincinnati in 1999. I started HAIF in 2001 while I was living in downtown Houston. In 2003 my company relocated me to Chicago.

It's no big secret. It's been asked and answered a couple of times before.

Here's the trivia question -- name the web site I started in 1999 while living in Midtown.

I moved to Houston from Cincinnati in 1999. I started HAIF in 2001 while I was living in downtown Houston. In 2003 my company relocated me to Chicago.

Here's the trivia question -- name the web site I started in 1999 while living in Midtown.

I know I know...

GlassSteelAndStone...

I know I know...

GlassSteelAndStone...

Nope. Good guess, though. And logical. But Glass Steel and Stone was created in 1997 when I lived in Green Bay. Back then it had the ugly domain name glasssteelandstone.home.att.net. But back then people weren't so concerned about domain names, and I even had advertisers for it.

This was at the same time that DMOZ was rising, and was going to be the Next Big Thingâ„¢ until Google came along and ate its lunch. One of the DMOZ editors marked my entry as "laden with advertising" which seriously hurt the number of visitors I got. Truth be told, I only had two or three ads per page, which back than (and even now in many cases) wasn't a lot. But the DMOZ editor I ended up with was one of the puritans who believed there shouldn't be ads on the internet at all. You hardly see those people anymore today. Mostly on Slashdot.

This link will give you an idea of what it looked like: http://web.archive.org/web/20010419222745/...elandstone.com/

Anyway, cleaning out some old files from the server the other day I actually found the original Glass Steel and Stone logo:

GSSBigLogo_One.jpg

I really hate the way the site looks now. It's a little fugly and dated. I need to re-code the whole thing, but I want to wait a little longer until I learn some new tricks so it will be really snazzy.

ed-with-goats.com ???

theflyingwaynelindas.com ???

Hey now . . . not everyone that posts on this forum lives in Houston or the surrounding area. Some of us have been in Chicagoland for over a decade, but are native Houstonians.

B)

I was nosey, and sent a pm to editor a while back...was in Houston, at one time, interesting story of how, after setting up the HAIF, he got distracted with other stuff, and when he checked back the HAIForum people were there, all talking to each other. Yaaaahhhh....original haifer's, & editor, of course, thank you.

Hey now . . . not everyone that posts on this forum lives in Houston or the surrounding area. Some of us have been in Chicagoland for over a decade, but are native Houstonians.

B)

Ditto...just had to add my 2 cents and right now i see that our warm front (40-50 degrees is slowing moving out (back to the 20's, but @least we are out of the low teens for a while!)

Here's a question for the former Texans now living elsewhere...

If you could move back, would you? Or more specifically, what would it take to get you to move back to Texas?

With the economy the way it is, I have a feeling a lot of people will be moving to Houston. Houston is not the best city in the world, but it has a lot more positives than a whole lot of places.

If you could move back, would you? Or more specifically, what would it take to get you to move back to Texas?

Houston is a VERY Underrated city...

I've been in the Midwest( Indianapolis, Madison and Chicago since before 2000 and the right situation (jobs/business venture for my spouse and I) would have us back to Houston in a heartbeat. Houston is unique in that it's People/Residents are very involved in their respective communities...This just doesn't happen in every major city due to major influx of outsiders, lack of common areas (yards/parks) and long term residents.

I REALLY miss the weather, (yes, i'm a warm weather person and can you imagine a winter that typically lasts from late October to May when it's finally 65 degrees) the food and the people. Chicago is a great city, however like every city it has some major pitfalls.. As far as the job selection in Houston, its' industries could be more diverse.

Go figure, I think this secluded highrise living has killed a part of my soul B)

How about it Editor? Can you give us an unbiased opinion?

With the economy the way it is, I have a feeling a lot of people will be moving to Houston. Houston is not the best city in the world, but it has a lot more positives than a whole lot of places.

OK.

Houston isnt the best city in the world, but it has more POSITIVES than other places (cities?)?

i think a little elaboration is in order.

Yes I could . . . I'm not looking to do so, but unlike pretty much everyone I know in my industry in the MW, NE and Canada who despises Houston and it's sprawl, I could move there. It's my home town. In fact, if I came back to Texas, I would only do so if I could live in Houston.

As mentioned by sowanome, Houston is a very underrated city and most who aren't familiar with it or those who've lived there their whole life and think the grass is greener elsewhere couldn't be more wrong. Houston is a fine place to live.

Houston is a great town and has made a lot of life style improvements . . . but Chicago and its neighborhoods, culture and my favorite sports teams are all here. And unlike sowanome, I like the changing weather up here. Besides, this is home to my kids (13 and 11 years); their whole life is here.

But being an energy trader, if the right job came up (along with a promotion), I'd come back to Houston after my kids have moved out or going to college. Houston is the mecca for my industry which is good professionally and I'd be able to either buy a helleva lot bigger house in the burbs or a nice home near downtown after selling my home here. B)

I'd be able to either buy a helleva lot bigger house in the burbs or a nice home near downtown after selling my home here. B)

Yeah, but the one thing i don't miss are the super high property taxes in the Houston area and as i recall, if you're living in Naperville (a great town/suburb that i'm all to familiar with b/c my spouse is from there) you definitely get a larger home in the burbs of Houston!! However, Downtown Naperville would put any houston suburb outlying town to shame b/c The suburbs up this way are just more than outlying areas..would you agree?

Yeah, but the one thing i don't miss are the super high property taxes in the Houston area and as i recall, if you're living in Naperville (a great town/suburb that i'm all to familiar with b/c my spouse is from there) you definitely get a larger home in the burbs of Houston!! However, Downtown Naperville would put any houston suburb outlying town to shame b/c The suburbs up this way are just more than outlying areas..would you agree?

Yes, the suburbs here are actual towns, with established, active downtown areas, Main Street shopping/restaurants/cafes & neighborhoods. Chicagoland ends up being a city of neighborhoods with their own festivals, parades, etc.

I don't live in downtown Naperville, but I'm just SW of it - off Rickert Rd. near the brand new Whole Foods (about a 5 minute drive or 20 minute bike ride to Centennial Beach).

As far as taxes go, the taxes here in Naperville, Dupage County aren't too much less than Houston, and Naperville, Will County taxes are even closer.

• 2 weeks later...
And now Editor is apparently in Asia. So, then, if I'm vacationing in Houston, should I be a "Native HAIFer" or a "HAIFer on the Road"?

You can use either one. Or request a custom one. They're not a legally binding contract and I have no way of knowing where most people are actually HAIFing from. They're mostly for fun.

So what's the name of the website?

The web site was Texas Architecture Info. It was around for a couple of months and then I realized that it was far too large a task for me to follow everything in Texas, so I specialized in Houston. When .info domains became available I re-launched it as TexasArchitecture.info but once again it turned out to be too ambitious, and was abandoned.

Archived