Voter turnout poll.

westguy76

According to the Us Census.

Sixty-four percent of U.S. citizens age 18 and over voted in the 2004 presidential election, up from 60 percent in 2000, the U.S. Census Bureau reported today. Tables from a November survey also show that of 197 million citizens, 72 percent (142 million) reported they were registered to vote. Among those registered, 89 percent (126 million) said they voted. In the 2000 election, 70 percent of citizens were registered; and among them, 86 percent voted.

Let's get everyones opinion on what percentage of US citizens will turn out to vote in the 2008 presidential election.

Just leave a number and a brief opinion on why and what you think it means for the election and the parties.

without getting into a flame war please.

Let's get everyones opinion on what percentage of US citizens will turn out to vote in the 2008 presidential election.

Just leave a number and a brief opinion on why and what you think it means for the election and the parties.

I'd push for 80%, and it's because people want change. . . even Joe the plumber.

I think that the turnout as a percentage of citizens that are eligible to vote wil increase dramatically. But on account of that so many people have just registered that have never voted before and also that there are quite a few disenchanted urban Republican voters, I think that turnout as a percentage of registered voters may actually decline slightly.

I think that it means that Obama will win, that both houses of Congress will become a much deeper shade of blue, and that the Republican Party as it is known today will be thrown into turmoil. Strong single-party democracies don't stay that way for very long, so I suspect that either there will either be a sizable Republican backlash in 2010 if only because Obama isn't on the ticket and that Democrat turnout will be low, and possibly as a reaction to some very dramatic changes that would incite anger among the base--or that 2010 will be a year in which new lines are drawn in the sand (i.e. Libertarian vs. Populist) within both parties. If the latter happens (which I consider less likely, albeit immensely more desirable than the former) I do not think that the Republican Party will disappear, but I do think that the era of Reagan & Gingrich would be effectively over. New alliances would take shape and we'd be back into elections that come down to the wire.

If Obama can't win this election with all of his money, favorable polls and press coverage, then it will be the most colossal loss ever, eclipsing the Edsel. Obama will become the laughing stock of the nation and his name will be synonomous with "big time looser".

I voted for the guy, but his over confidence is starting to worry me.

If Obama can't win this election with all of his money, favorable polls and press coverage, then it will be the most colossal loss ever, eclipsing the Edsel. Obama will become the laughing stock of the nation and his name will be synonomous with "big time looser".

If Obama can't win ...

That's odd, he only casts one vote. We cast the remainder for either candidate.

If a candidate doesn't win, it says more about us than them.

Another factor in voter turnout may be the number of dissatisfied Republicans who just decide not to vote. They won't vote for Obama, but they aren't excited enough to cast their ballot for McCain. Or, they they could vote for Bob Barr just to show their dissatisfaction with McCain/Palin.

He doesn't seem to be overconfident. They seem to be going full bore all the way until Tuesday. I don't think they are taking anything for granted.

Why do people (especially republicans and Mccain backers) keep saying this. Obama was the first one to acknowledge that the polls don't mean anything and anything can happen on election day. He was telling his fellow democrats not to be quick to claim victory which would jinks his chances.

Why do people (especially republicans and Mccain backers) keep saying this. Obama was the first one to acknowledge that the polls don't mean anything and anything can happen on election day. He was telling his fellow democrats not to be quick to claim victory which would jinks his chances.

They're clinging to hope. McCain supporters won't turn out if they don't think that its worth their time to vote for a doomed candidate.

Because McCain and his supporters are trying to turn undecideds against Obama. You must remember that there can be a huge difference between what a candidate says and the truth. Obama is pushing the overconfidence angle very hard. The overconfidence, if any, is occurring within the political pundit class and casual observers, not the Obama campaign. Pay attention to who is saying what, and it will become very clear.

I just hope that Harris County voters continue to break records on early voting. By the way, you have only a couple of hours left to do so.

On Tuesday I'll be working at a polling place again - the Democratic primary voting was an absolute madhouse, and with the interest in the Presidential race we'll likely be swamped again.

I hope every (informed) voter gets out there, but thank goodness they won't ALL be on Election Day.

I agree; however, I think the Edsel would only be considered a mild failure compared to an Obama defeat. If Democrats, including Obama, cannot win given:

An unpopular, misguided war

An economy that is going down the toilet

An explosion in the national debt

An implosion of the housing market

A near absolute failure of free markets

The evaporation of 401K/retiremen wealth

Job losses

An extremely flawed health care system

...combined with...

Obama's overwhelming popularity

Obama's mountain of cash

Obama's clear, concise, and sensible plan to get America back on track and restore balance to the universe

...and...

McCain's tired, grumpy GOP politics

Palin, "the idiot wind"

...if Obama and the Democrats lose... There will never be a Democratic president elected in any future US elections, ever, for the balance of our existence as the United States of America.

...At this juncture, however, it does look promising for Obama and the Democrats. Maybe there is hope for America.

I agree; however, I think the Edsel would only be considered a mild failure compared to an Obama defeat. If Democrats, including Obama, cannot win given:

An unpopular, misguided war

An economy that is going down the toilet

An explosion in the national debt

An implosion of the housing market

A near absolute failure of free markets

The evaporation of 401K/retiremen wealth

Job losses

An extremely flawed health care system

...combined with...

Obama's overwhelming popularity

Obama's mountain of cash

Obama's clear, concise, and sensible plan to get America back on track and restore balance to the universe

...and...

McCain's tired, grumpy GOP politics

Palin, "the idiot wind"

...if Obama and the Democrats lose... There will never be a Democratic president elected in any future US elections, ever, for the balance of our existence as the United States of America.

...At this juncture, however, it does look promising for Obama and the Democrats. Maybe there is hope for America.

So, with all that said, wouldn't an Obama defeat be more of a statement on the ignorance of Americans than the failure of Obama? Your post states that he is doing everything right. For the voting public to ignore that and vote in McCain would suggest that, in spite of all of McCain's failures, and in spite of all of the harm a McCain presidency would do to the economy, the budget, the national debt and foreign affairs, Americans put McCain in the driver's seat anyway. That's on us, not Obama.

So, with all that said, wouldn't an Obama defeat be more of a statement on the ignorance of Americans than the failure of Obama? Your post states that he is doing everything right. For the voting public to ignore that and vote in McCain would suggest that, in spite of all of McCain's failures, and in spite of all of the harm a McCain presidency would do to the economy, the budget, the national debt and foreign affairs, Americans put McCain in the driver's seat anyway. That's on us, not Obama.

Absolutely agree, and so does Wanda Sykes. We gave a blind man the keys to our car... TWICE (Bush)... and look what ensued. Can't blame Bush really... Conditions could not be more obvious, right now, NOT to elect Obama. That's why I hold out hope that America can and will actually get it right this time... If Obama is defeated... there is no hope for America.

We gave a blind man the keys to our car... TWICE (Bush)...

Rather, a drunk man stole the keys to the car, TWICE.

If McCain wins, we'll have all the evidence we need that the voting process has been permanently, fatally corrupted.

Another factor in voter turnout may be the number of dissatisfied Republicans who just decide not to vote. They won't vote for Obama, but they aren't excited enough to cast their ballot for McCain. Or, they they could vote for Bob Barr just to show their dissatisfaction with McCain/Palin.

I think most Republicans are more scared than dissatisfied, which will make for a bigger turnout for them.

Are you including plumber2 in the 'everyone' statement? He said he voted for Obama.

Are you including plumber2 in the 'everyone' statement? He said he voted for Obama.

I was talking in general really but Redscare pretty much summed it up.

What pisses me off about Mccain is that he's not even trying to end the war. He's more interested in Victory and not surrendering than bringing the troops home and putting an end to it all. Obama says that we need to spend the 12 billion per month that's being spent on the war and put back in to rebuilding our own country. That sounds nice. Even though Obama is in the lead, i still think they'll find a way to cheat us again like they did in 2000. If Mccain pulls this off, we all might as well grab some shovels and start diggin our own graves.

If Mccain pulls this off, we all might as well grab some shovels and start diggin our own graves.

I know its OT, but I burst out laughing when you said that. I've got a cheap cardboard Halloween tombstone decoration on which I've scrawled in black permanent marker 'Barack H. Obama', '1961-2009' that's out in front of my door. ...yeah, I know. Poor taste. But its funny! :lol:

I know its OT, but I burst out laughing when you said that. I've got a cheap cardboard Halloween tombstone decoration on which I've scrawled in black permanent marker 'Barack H. Obama', '1961-2009' that's out in front of my door. ...yeah, I know. Poor taste. But its funny! :lol:

I don't get the joke. Are you laughing at the possibility of racists assassinating a black president?

Almost 50% of registered voters in Austin have already turned out for the early voting. This IS a history making election.

Bryan you HAVE to stop watching CNN bro. Ok, the dow went down almost 50% last month, right. Did your personal business drop off 50% last month also ? Mine didn't.

Archived