Depends on where you live, the further to the southeast you get it goes from a deliberate two syllable noun to a pure diphthong. Take your pick, all are correct. Our Arcadian brethren south of I-10 in the next state over, have their own pronunciation for everything. Like "New Awlins" and "Lousana". I think they say "By-you", you make the call.

Wow, sheeats! Shot on sight!

I'm saying what I always say in these debates - there's enough regional variation in pronunciations that I'd not not say one way is right or wrong. Just because a word has a foreign origin doesn't mean it can't be incorporated into a local lexicon with a different pronunciation that is arguably equally correct if you're talking about that locality. I say "BI-oh". And I say "San FIL-uh-pee". These are old Houston pronunciations that are becoming less and less common, even among natives, which is fine - use the pronunciation you like.

I will say, though, that the old Houston "BI-oh" and the more generally accepted "BI-yew" are the only variations I've come across.

Same debate here. (And, yeah, I always heard growing up that you could tell natives by the way they pronounce "bayou" (or "San Felipe") - that's clearly no longer true.)

Yep, it's BY-yew. :)

People who say "BAH-oh" or "BAY-oh" or any other such nonsense should be shot on site. :ph34r:

Last I checked, your name was "sheeats", not "shespeaks". Not "shewrites" either, from the looks of things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go walk my dog down by White Oak Buy-O, while I listen to some Credence.

Is it just me, or is this thread completely lacking a sense of humor? I obviously didn't mean "shot on sight." It was a joke, so let's all just readjust our little wounded egos and move on.

Serious business indeed!

I thought your post was funny. I'm just not good with the little smiley-face icons and rolling-on-the-floor abbreviations.

Saw something else on the bi-yew/bi-oh divide, though out of Mississippi.

Is it just me, or is this thread completely lacking a sense of humor? I obviously didn't mean "shot on sight." It was a joke, so let's all just readjust our little wounded egos and move on.

I thought my post was quite humorous. Sorry for the lack of a smiley. I figured you'd know.

Archived