I've heard from an engineer friend of mine that the Harris Gully releif project is stalled. It appears that the underground boring machine is broke down somwhere under the Dick Dowling monument and that it will take several months to fix it. Parts are coming from Germany or someplace like that.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

The Harris Gully under the Texas Medical Center comes to mind also. The Harris Gully was converted to twin 15 ft. box culverts as the medical center was developed. It's origin is just west of Main St inside Rice University. It is fully covered until it oufalls into Braes Bayou just north of Holcombe Blvd.

I knew two engineers that walked it after Tropical Storm Allison to determine that it was clear and unobstructed. It travereses under TIRR, Baylor College of Medicine, UT Health crossing under Fannin and then the Vincor/Kindred facility before crossing under Main St, with two curious looking intakes popping out of the ground just north of the Rice practice stadium. 

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I was researching the Harris Gully this week. Found lots of photos and map outlines!

Here's a cool one that you can clearly see Harris Gully going through the Rice University campus.

If I was to affix an address to this topic, could I put South Main? The Rice campus has a SM address :ph34r:

Harris Gully is very near the early Rice Institute Athletic Field.

Hand drawn campus map with the title Campus Survey by Freshman Class 1916-17 Rice Institute. May 26, 1917

F7LrizL.jpg

35 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

I was researching the Harris Gully this week. Found lots of photos and map outlines!

Here's a cool one that you can clearly see Harris Gully going through the Rice University campus.

If I was to affix an address to this topic, could I put South Main? The Rice campus has a SM address :ph34r:

Harris Gully is very near the early Rice Institute Athletic Field.

Hand drawn campus map with the title Campus Survey by Freshman Class 1916-17 Rice Institute. May 26, 1917

F7LrizL.jpg

That was a major driver for the flooding of the Rice campus in 1979. There's a page in this link https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/47726874/rice-flood-protection-strategy-rice-university showing the extent of the 1979 flood. I was living off campus then, but had parked in a faculty space at the gym after being cut off from a legal space by someone else. I got lucky, and had a water mark about 6 inches up a rear tire. The other guy's car was underwater.

The old topo maps on the UT Library site show the feature running through the Rice campus and what is now TMC.

• Like 1

Rice showcases Johnson Owl Deck at Harris Gully

Funding for the project was provided by a gift to the Wiess School of Natural Sciences from Judy and Michael Johnson, a federal grant from the U.S. Forest Service and support from the Lynn R. Lowrey Arboretum Committee at Rice.

The Johnson Owl Deck also wouldn’t have been possible without the support of Cin-Ty Lee and Cassidy Johnson, professors within the Wiess School of Natural Sciences, Vassallo said. Lee and Johnson have been instrumental in the preservation of Harris Gully and in finding ways to attract more people to the area.

https://news.rice.edu/news/2023/rice-showcases-johnson-owl-deck-harris-gully

rU7B3Q7.jpg

tyi27bS.jpg

8Pm629x.jpg

10 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I never knew you went to Rice University! Very cool.

Enough maps, I found a cool photo! 1950 aerial of Rice Field.

lWenqsi.jpg

2GuDpaP.jpg

When that picture was taken, Rice was the only game in town for football. Which is why the new stadium had 70,000 seats and sold out for many games. At the time, Texas A&M was a male only school with mandatory participation in the Corps of Cadets. UT-Austin was the main State university for most students.

The stadium in the picture is now the Rice Track and Field stadium. If you look closely at the track on the right side, you can see it extends all the way to Main Street. Rice was one of the few places that could run the 220 yard dash in a straight line.

• Like 1