Sugar Land Cultural/Entertainment District

lockmat

http://www.fortbendnow.com/pages/full_stor..._story&open=&

A citizen task force appointed to evaluate the feasibility of Sugar Land's proposed cultural entertainment district has recommended city council move forward by pursuing minor league baseball and an indoor concert venue, but without utilizing property taxes to fund the projects.

Thanks for the link lockmat. First I have heard of this Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District. A minor league baseball team would be cool but I'm more excited about the indoor concert venue. I added a post in the Sugar Land forum.

• 8 months later...

Seeing as we're less than five years out from having the next UH System university in Sugar Land, the Ft. Bend people should approach UofH. That would be a great way to partner with the university on a state of the art concert venue.

Seeing as we're less than five years out from having the next UH System university in Sugar Land, the Ft. Bend people should approach UofH. That would be a great way to partner with the university on a state of the art concert venue.

There is already a UofH - Sugar Land campus. Also, it is at the same location as the proposed Cultural/Entertainment District along Hwy 59 between the Brazos River and First Colony.

• 1 month later...

Minor League sports in the Houston area. I know we discussed baseball in another thread, but I can't find it.

Here is a story about the Boston Celtics forming affiliation with a new minor league basketball (NBADL) team in Portland.

I'm really dissapointed that we don't have a minor league baseball or basketball team in the Houston area. I know we can support it because we have other minor league teams (hockey and football).

We also have plenty of facilities to host them in. I really wish someone would get the ball rolling and get us one or both.

Minor league sports is a chance for nice/cheap entertainment, at the very least for the people in the suburbs who don't want to drive all the way into town, pay a ton of money and then get home really late on a weekday.

If Dallas can do this, I mean... if PORTLAND can do this, Houston can.

http://www2.nesn.com/boston-celtics/2009/0...ague-affiliate/

Minor League sports in the Houston area. I know we discussed baseball in another thread, but I can't find it.

Here is a story about the Boston Celtics forming affiliation with a new minor league basketball (NBADL) team in Portland.

I'm really dissapointed that we don't have a minor league baseball or basketball team in the Houston area. I know we can support it because we have other minor league teams (hockey and football).

We also have plenty of facilities to host them in. I really wish someone would get the ball rolling and get us one or both.

Minor league sports is a chance for nice/cheap entertainment, at the very least for the people in the suburbs who don't want to drive all the way into town, pay a ton of money and then get home really late on a weekday.

I personally don't see the benefit of putting a minor league team in the same metro as a big league team. To me it just takes away from the big league team's fan base and income. Why would we want to splinter the Astro fan base? Arlington has a team that is pretty much their team, not Dallas' and now Frisco has their own, no big deal. But the Astros are Houston's team, they're centrally located, have success both in Houston and across the state, and are profitable. I think the Astros are doing well with their affiliates in Round Rock and Corpus.

Also, the Rockets just signed a deal of partnership with the Rio Grande Valley NBDL team, it will now be the sole minor league affiliate to the Rockets. Also a good choice as far as developing a fan base. No need to create a minor league team to pull away from your big league fan base in your own metro area. That's just my opinion though.

I personally don't see the benefit of putting a minor league team in the same metro as a big league team. To me it just takes away from the big league team's fan base and income. Why would we want to splinter the Astro fan base? Arlington has a team that is pretty much their team, not Dallas' and now Frisco has their own, no big deal. But the Astros are Houston's team, they're centrally located, have success both in Houston and across the state, and are profitable. I think the Astros are doing well with their affiliates in Round Rock and Corpus.

Also, the Rockets just signed a deal of partnership with the Rio Grande Valley NBDL team, it will now be the sole minor league affiliate to the Rockets. Also a good choice as far as developing a fan base. No need to create a minor league team to pull away from your big league fan base in your own metro area. That's just my opinion though.

You don't believe the Astros or Rockets could keep their fans with other minor league teams in town? I don't see why not.

I think the ideal place to have one is in the Spring/Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land or between Houston/Galveston. It needs to be in a suburb. The Houston area is huge, and I believe many people who would not go to an Astros or Rockets game because of the distance or ticket price would go to these games. They're most likely not going to the Astros/Rockets games anyway.

Let's face it. I would venture to say most people who go to sporting events, sans most Texans fans, are not really huge fans anyway. Most fans are casual fans. They just want to be entertained. Cheap minor league events would provide that.

You DO realize, don't you, that this article is talking about Portland, Maine, which has no major league sports?

You DO realize, don't you, that this article is talking about Portland, Maine, which has no major league sports?

ewww, no, i did not.

Regardless, it can still be done. Dallas easily does it and so does the greater LA area. I'm sure there are other cities that do as well.

I personally don't see the benefit of putting a minor league team in the same metro as a big league team. To me it just takes away from the big league team's fan base and income. Why would we want to splinter the Astro fan base?

A minor league team would not splinter the Astros' fan base. People aren't going to stop being Astros fans and stop going to their games just because there's a minor league team in the area. Sports fans have a major league mentality, where anything beneath the highest level of competition receives more of a niche fan base.

A suburban minor league team will draw from those suburban residents, primarily families with kids who aren't going to drive all the way into downtown and keep their kids up late during the week. Those people weren't going to that night's Astros game anyway.

Archived