Lake Pointe Plaza: Mixed-Use Development In Sugar Land

The New Juniper

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, thank God there's 50 acres of surface parking to absorb the Texas sun. I was afraid some trees or something might pop up in Sugar Land. Fortunately, we're safe from that horrible fate.

I know someone who recently moved to a Midwestern town built on an old Naval Air Station. He was complaining that it was flat and light brown and there were no mature trees. I said, "Dude -- you used to live in Sugar Land. It's like you never left!"

It is nice though, that they are planting a lot of trees in the parking lot, and there even appear to be some grassy areas in it!

I wonder if those grassy areas will actually materialize when it's built though...

It's hard to tell from the renderings, but I wonder how they will use the lake frontage area at the back of that shopping center? That area could have some potential as a good public space...

They mostly have walking trails (they are keeping the trees that are there) and maybe some nice retail, maybe rice village style, in front of the water, too.

I like the building's design (given it's purpose and its function) and I like its proximity to the lake but the parking lot looks scatterbrained, even for a parking lot. I'm also thinking that the western portion of the complex could've done with a parking structure to help maximize space. That way, you could have a green feature in front of the building (due to the reduced parking space) that makes the complex look more appealing overall.

Well, the shopping center in the rendering looks like it is about 2 stories... I hope they make it nice, and NOT as brown bricked as everything else! Perhaps they could do something similar to Market Street in The Woodlands, which DOES, BTW, have ALOT of parking lots.

NOTE the similarities:

notethesimil4om.jpg

However, I hope these plans are final, and I'd prefer that they'd push for some garages, and some more retail!

WISH LIST FOR RETAIL:

Whole Foods (Rice Village is too far!)

Eddie Bauer (hopefully, they reopen in Town square, or even here!)

Chipotle (town square, or here)

Maybe brick, but not BROWN brick, like everything else! As long as they don't go pink, or anything like that nasty brick used on the Shopping Center where the Wel farm Supermarket is. Oh, and they could also resort to the use of some stone, of some sort.

Sure, brown is nice, but I may want to see something a bit out of the norm for SL! Just make sure it is nice!

And BTW, I see you're running along well with the SugarLand mentality! :P

Still, nice town, and I can't wait to see more development! :D

Juniper,

From what I've seen its going to be primarily business-type development along the south side of the development fronting SH 6, all the way from Lifetime Fitness down to the freeway. Along the east side (SW Fwy) its going to be residential. The upper lobe of the development is going to be patio homes/zero lot length and there will be some "livework" townhomes south of that. If you're interested in seeing the general plan and the plats that have been taken through (to date) do a search on this link.

http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/content/Agendas.htm

Just make sure you specify "Planning & Zoning Commission"

I like the building's design (given it's purpose and its function) and I like its proximity to the lake but the parking lot looks scatterbrained, even for a parking lot. I'm also thinking that the western portion of the complex could've done with a parking structure to help maximize space. That way, you could have a green feature in front of the building (due to the reduced parking space) that makes the complex look more appealing overall.

I wonder if they do that to keep the rice rocket kiddies from drag racing.

I wonder if they do that to keep the rice rocket kiddies from drag racing.

Also, if you drive around the parking lots, note that they place huge boulders at the curbs. This prevents preople from driving up the curb, as they see the stone and try to avoid it at all costs. This may also be a sadistic way of injuring the cars of unlucky drivers that happen to run over the curbs, though! ;)

• 1 month later...

Ah man. I thought this was going to be another Sugar Land Town Square, which I am very proud of its urban development. This just looks like another fancy strip mall, except for the urban pedestrain oriented village that they claim it to be. I can't even picture condos in this development.

• 17 years later...

Fluor to sell 50 acres next to Sugar Land’s Smart Financial Centre for possible mixed-use - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Fluor re-upped it's existing lease at Lake Pointe Plaza through 2026 and is selling off the land near Smart Financial Centre that was once proposed for a new campus, prior to the pandemic. 

It sounds like the property is under contract with another buyer which has a mixed-use proposal for the site. No further details at this point.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sold to Dhanani Private Equity Group. Deal closed last month for $28 million.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/12/12/dhanani-equity-group-mixed-use-fluor-sugar-land.html

Developer wants to split between half commercial (retail, office, dining) and townhomes for residential element. Needs to submit updated plans to the city for approval. Wanting to have design phase ended by this time next year so construction can begin in 2024. 

They also have some land under contact at the Imperial site but didn't go into that. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 12/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Sold to Dhanani Private Equity Group. Deal closed last month for $28 million.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/12/12/dhanani-equity-group-mixed-use-fluor-sugar-land.html

Developer wants to split between half commercial (retail, office, dining) and townhomes for residential element. Needs to submit updated plans to the city for approval. Wanting to have design phase ended by this time next year so construction can begin in 2024. 

They also have some land under contact at the Imperial site but didn't go into that. 

Does anyone know if the food hall below is planned for this Sugar Land site?

Renderings for Telfair Food Hall was recently added to Eimer Design Studio's website. In an Instagram post last year, Eimer said they're working on a few food halls for the Houston area, including Sugar Land and East Downtown. The Sugar Land food hall wasn't mentioned in the post or on their website until recent weeks.

According to the description,  "this project takes a 3.5 acre undeveloped lot in Sugar Land, Texas and transforms it into a 15,000 sf / 12 vendor / 350 seat food hall with indoor gaming and micro craft brewing."

http://eimer-design.com/project/telfair-food-hall/

FBYAwiW.jpg

FK7yWIX.jpg

Exclusive: Engineering giant Fluor to leave Sugar Land office campus after nearly 40 years

Construction and engineering giant Fluor is moving its Houston-area hub to the Energy Corridor after almost 40 years in Sugar Land, the company said Wednesday.

Irving-based Fluor recently signed a 12-year lease for the entire 308,186-square-foot office building known as Three Eldridge at 737 Eldridge Parkway, according to landlord Plano-based real estate firm Granite Properties. The lease is the largest publicly known new office lease signed this year in the Houston area, according to Cushman and Wakefield, the real estate brokerage that represented Fluor in the transaction.

Fluor plans to move more than 1,300 employees to the 13-story building in summer 2024 from the firm’s campus at 1 Fluor Daniel Drive in Sugar Land, said Jennifer Kim, vice president and general manager of Fluor’s Houston office.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/fluor-energy-corridor-sugar-land-move-office-lease-18073782.php

So Fluor sold off their 50-acre property last year (that transaction was covered in this thread) and now they're leaving the SL campus for the Energy Corridor. Curious to see what's to come of these properties.

• 3 months later...

Follow link for HBJ's Rendering of Planned Community Developers' Lake Pointe Plaza mixed-use development in Sugar Land, which includes a conceptual design representing Fort Bend County's future tallest building of 20 floors.

GENSLER

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/08/21/planned-community-developers-fluor-campus-purchase.html

"Planned Community Developers previously bought 190 acres surrounding the Fluor campus from Fluor, and this 53-acre site represents the last piece of the puzzle."  -- Florian Martin for HBJ, August 21st 2023

Edited by strickn
Forgot to mention highrise possibility
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, strickn said:

Follow link for HBJ's Rendering of Planned Community Developers' Lake Pointe Plaza mixed-use development in Sugar Land, which includes a conceptual design representing Fort Bend County's future tallest building of 20 floors.

GENSLER

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/08/21/planned-community-developers-fluor-campus-purchase.html

"Planned Community Developers previously bought 190 acres surrounding the Fluor campus from Fluor, and this 53-acre site represents the last piece of the puzzle."  -- Florian Martin for HBJ, August 21st 2023

pcdlakepointerendering.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. I worked in a town house literally across from lake from this. Absolutely loved walking around that lake during lunch. Really felt like Flour was wasting that space and had so much empty parking around the spot. Glad to see this development is taking its place.

• 4 months later...

City of Sugar Land Page tracking this project

Lake Pointe Redevelopment District | Sugar Land, TX - Official Website (sugarlandtx.gov)

Summary of December 19th meeting from the page.

"During the December 19, 2023 City Council meeting, City Council took actions regarding the Lake Pointe Redevelopment District zoning district. The first action authorized an amendment to the Land Use Plan, increasing the designated number of multi-family units for the area. The second action amended the Development Code, and rezoned the property to the new zoning district which allows for a mix of uses to be built in compliance with the approved code."

Updated code information: Ordinance-No-2325-Dev-Code-Amendment-Lake-Pointe-Redevelopment-District-and-Rezoning (sugarlandtx.gov)

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Lake Pointe Plaza: Mixed-Use Development In Sugar Land
  • 3 weeks later...