Nimrod, Seriously, Nimrod?

pineda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Houston Lifestyle & Features

March 16, 2005, 7:02PM

Painting the town

Paula and Uri Kelman, Kelman Design Studio owner, are rolling out the red carpet for Israeli artist Yoram Gal, who is in town with his family to participate in this weekend's Bayou City Art Festival in Memorial Park.

Gal, who just won first-place honors for watercolors in the Vero Beach, Fla., Under the Oaks Arts Festival, is also a playwright, actor and filmmaker.

The Kelmans are treating Gal, his wife, Nili, and their 5-year-old son, Nimrod, to a whirlwind view of Houston. On their itinerary are the rodeo, barbecue at Goode Company, NASA, Space Center Houston and the Holocaust Museum Houston.

shelby.hodge@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Houston Lifestyle & Features

This article is: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/3088938

LOL, well it is a biblical name. One of the so-and-so begot so-and-so's I think.

The only reference I could find as to why we use it to mean slow or dim-witted is because it actually means "hunter" (as in the biblical Nimrod was a great hunter) and Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd "poor little Nimrod".

LOL, well it is a biblical name. One of the so-and-so begot so-and-so's I think.

The only reference I could find as to why we use it to mean slow or dim-witted is because it actually means "hunter" (as in the biblical Nimrod was a great hunter) and Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd "poor little Nimrod".

He built the tower of Babel. Nimrod that is, not Bugs Bunny.

My brother works with oil leases and swears he came across a lady once whose name was pronounced She-thead

Only thing was, the third letter was an "i" not a "e" :blink:

I once knew a Shithead, only it was a guy, not a woman.

The all time worst named child I've ever personally encountered was a girl named Placenta Anne. Yes, you read her first name correctly. This poor girl was in about the first grade when I graduated high school. Story in town was her mother was convinced she was having a boy and didn't come up with a name in case the baby was a girl. Well when she had a girl instead of a boy, she her the word "placenta" mentioned in the delivery room and, not knowing what it meant, decided it would be a pretty name for a little girl. I'm sure the nurses tried to talk her out of it (if not I bet they had a damn good laugh over that one) but this kid ended up with that name. Of course when she was really young other kids probably were just as clueless as she and her mother were about the name's true meaning, but just imagine that day in about the fifth grade when the girls all go to one room and the boys all go to another and they have a little sex education film and everyone finds out what that term really means.

Second place on the worst names list goes to Kikimon Teriyaki, a very sweet girl who was a year behind me in school growing up. She just went by Kiki, and I think by high school was quite embarrassed by her full name.

And yes, my high school had an Orangejello and Lemonjello as well. Makes me wonder what some of those parents in rural southeast Texas are smoking.

The only reference I could find as to why we use it to mean slow or dim-witted is because it actually means "hunter" (as in the biblical Nimrod was a great hunter)

So Im a great hunter huh? :huh: Okay! <_<

Years ago my Grandmother use to work for social services in New Orleans and many of the so called colored folks (As she put it) in this one district were having a contest to see who could come up with the most original names for these children. So many lacking the skills of originality would name their kids after first word they saw after the child was born. She said there were kids named No-Smoking, IV, Exit, Penicillin, and my favorite Bedpan. I am sure there were more but those are the ones that I remember right now. She loves to tell that story a lot.

The Lion of the West, a play written by future Secretary of the Navy James Kirke Paulding, premiered in New York in April 1831 to wide acclaim. Noted Shakespearean actor James Hackett's portrayal of the blustering, uncouth, but razor-sharp Colonel Nimrod Wildfire was recognized everywhere as a caricature of the Tennessee congressman, David Crockett.

I once knew a Shithead, only it was a guy, not a woman.

The all time worst named child I've ever personally encountered was a girl named Placenta Anne. Yes, you read her first name correctly. This poor girl was in about the first grade when I graduated high school. Story in town was her mother was convinced she was having a boy and didn't come up with a name in case the baby was a girl. Well when she had a girl instead of a boy, she her the word "placenta" mentioned in the delivery room and, not knowing what it meant, decided it would be a pretty name for a little girl. I'm sure the nurses tried to talk her out of it (if not I bet they had a damn good laugh over that one) but this kid ended up with that name. Of course when she was really young other kids probably were just as clueless as she and her mother were about the name's true meaning, but just imagine that day in about the fifth grade when the girls all go to one room and the boys all go to another and they have a little sex education film and everyone finds out what that term really means.

Second place on the worst names list goes to Kikimon Teriyaki, a very sweet girl who was a year behind me in school growing up. She just went by Kiki, and I think by high school was quite embarrassed by her full name.

And yes, my high school had an Orangejello and Lemonjello as well. Makes me wonder what some of those parents in rural southeast Texas are smoking.

ROTFL.............I remember in third grade we had a Cherrie Fudge. She pronounced it cheREE. But to me, she'l always be CHEree Fudge.

There is a retired doctor in the Houston area named Dr. Butts, whose speciality is (drumroll, please) Proctology! :D

i don't think he's retired cause i saw his name on the door of a colon clinic in the med center. but i agree WHO would go to a proctologist named butts.

There's a similar situation is clear lake. this eye doctor's name is hopping and his clinic is the "Hopping Eye Associates" when i saw that i told asked my friend whether this a problem like lazy eye? she cracked up.

i don't think he's retired cause i saw his name on the door of a colon clinic in the med center.  but i agree WHO would go to a proctologist named butts.

There's a similar situation is clear lake.  this eye doctor's name is  hopping and his clinic is the "Hopping Eye Associates"  when i saw that i told asked my friend whether this a problem like lazy eye?  she cracked up.

There was a librarian at my school whose first name was Dorkus. Her parents should be ashamed of themselves.