Apartment Explosion In Katy

cla

I think that these developers see companies like KBR moving their heaquarters to Katy, BP moving a whole bunch of employees to this area, 3 medical centers going up, and a whole lot of other development that is going in and around Katy.

There may be a housing slump in the rest of the country, but with this influx of people, the Katy area is going to grow just as fast if not faster than it has been. These developers are not in the mindset "build it and they will come," but the mindset "They are coming, so I better have this built before they get here."

Just a note of caution on fast, apt development.

That very same idea occured and went into action in SW Houston in early to mid 70's. Does the name Gulfton area sound familiar?

Cross fingers these new ones stay very expensive and that there isnt another oil boom crisis. :o:D

That very same idea occured and went into action in SW Houston in early to mid 70's. Does the name Gulfton area sound familiar?

Cross fingers these new ones stay very expensive and that there isnt another oil boom crisis. :o:D

Exactly what I was thinking. I may have to be ready to sell my house within 5 years.

This is not confined to the Katy area we have clients building apartments all over the Houston area. All those people who cannot afford to get into a house now with tighter lending practices and the current "economic downturn" are bound to have to live somewhere.

Quoted for truth. May I add "Alief" to that list?

There goes the neighborhood... :mellow:

Everyone wants it both ways, don't they. All those new restaurants and stores desperately needed in Katy area, judging by the threads on this forum, but I doubt super wal mart is recruiting checkers from inside the gated enclaves. Man, I am beginning to appreciate the irony of Sienna Plantation more and more.

I think there is a serious lack of understanding about what's going on in the mortgage industry-- and how many fewer people will be able to actually own homes.

edit: Sweet baby jeebus, someone makes a list of 'luxury' apartments in cinco freaking ranch, and in 2.5 seconds people are crowing about gulfton and having to put their houses on the market. Isn't there something else to worry about, like an HOA violater with his boat in the driveway or something?

Everyone wants it both ways, don't they. All those new restaurants and stores desperately needed in Katy area, judging by the threads on this forum, but I doubt super wal mart is recruiting checkers from inside the gated enclaves. Man, I am beginning to appreciate the irony of Sienna Plantation more and more.

I think there is a serious lack of understanding about what's going on in the mortgage industry-- and how many fewer people will be able to actually own homes.

So the new restaurants, and stores need apartment dwellers to have employees? The kids in the "gated enclaves" need jobs to. Maybe not to the degree of of those having to rent, but none the less, they need jobs. There are a number of kids from all over Cinco Ranch etc, that have jobs at the fast food joints, retail, and everything else under the sun.

I thought this was a thread about an actual apartment explosion. I was hoping there were pictures.

I can barely hide my disappointment.

Ditto. I was bummed.

What? No bodies?

I agree with Crunch's post.

edit: Sweet baby jeebus, someone makes a list of 'luxury' apartments in cinco freaking ranch, and in 2.5 seconds people are crowing about gulfton and having to put their houses on the market. Isn't there something else to worry about, like an HOA violater with his boat in the driveway or something?

Oh c'mon crunch... Certainly you can understand the fear of the future when a bunch of apartment compexes arive. Maybe we're jumping the gun a little, but it's not good news.

Oh c'mon crunch... Certainly you can understand the fear of the future when a bunch of apartment compexes arive. Maybe we're jumping the gun a little, but it's not good news.

I don't think it's a fear of the future, I think it's a fear of poor people. It's disturbing for someof us to see people so obsessed with using property values as walls to defend themelves from the less fortunate.

I thought this was a thread about an actual apartment explosion. I was hoping there were pictures.

I can barely hide my disappointment.

ROFLMAO!

Sorry, I should have considered my words a bit more carefully!

Well, here are a

I don't think it's a fear of the future, I think it's a fear of poor people. It's disturbing for someof us to see people so obsessed with using property values as walls to defend themelves from the less fortunate.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't fear poor people. Honestly, memebag... You are such a troll sometimes. ;)

I fear the crime that's associated with apartment complexes. Low rent prices are great for providing low-income people a place to live, but -- unfortunately -- they also attract people who'd rather spend what little income they get (legitimately or otherwise) on drugs, weapons, alcohol, etc. And those aren't the kind of people I want as neighbors. Sorry, but once an apartment complex goes downhill, ain't nothing getting it back again. I say if you're going to build them, then keep them nice, keep them well-maintained and keep them occupied with decent human beings (no matter their income level) -- then this wouldn't be an issue.

Agree. I've observed the same BOOM in apartment developments in south Katy as well. I'm assuming the growth and demand for these developments is because families wanting there kids to go to KISD school district without paying the school tax. Any idea for rent prices?

Newer apts in the Katy area are going for a little more than $1.00/s.f. - the average might be around $1.25.

I lived in an older complex (Merrywood) in Cinco when we first came here and a good number of the residents were retirees.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't fear poor people. Honestly, memebag... You are such a troll sometimes. ;)

I fear the crime that's associated with apartment complexes. Low rent prices are great for providing low-income people a place to live, but -- unfortunately -- they also attract people who'd rather spend what little income they get (legitimately or otherwise) on drugs, weapons, alcohol, etc. And those aren't the kind of people I want as neighbors. Sorry, but once an apartment complex goes downhill, ain't nothing getting it back again. I say if you're going to build them, then keep them nice, keep them well-maintained and keep them occupied with decent human beings (no matter their income level) -- then this wouldn't be an issue.

Then why did you say "[q]uoted for truth" in reply to Vertigo's "[c]ross fingers these new ones stay very expensive and that there isnt another oil boom crisis"? If you want the apartments to stay very expensive, then it sounds to readers like you don't want poor people living there. It sounds like you think the price will filter out the indecent human beings.

I should have been more specific. I was quoting this for truth:

I even said that I wanted to add Alief to that list.

Better?

Probably not... ;)

Then why did you say "[q]uoted for truth" in reply to Vertigo's "[c]ross fingers these new ones stay very expensive and that there isnt another oil boom crisis"? If you want the apartments to stay very expensive, then it sounds to readers like you don't want poor people living there. It sounds like you think the price will filter out the indecent human beings.

Believe me, there are just as many indecent human beings living in high rent apartments as not.

Then again, there are indecent human beings in your neighborhood. For proof, run a sex offender search for your immediate area.

Then again, there are indecent human beings in your neighborhood. For proof, run a sex offender search for your immediate area.

Okay. Just did. http://www.nsopr.gov/

There are 12 sex offenders within my ZIP code (77079). Every single one of them live in low-rent apartments or townhomes, with the exception of one who has listed what seems to be the address of a motel on Highway 6. In fact, a majority of them live at the ultra-shady Skylane Apartments ($99 first week's rent!) at Beltway 8 and I-10.

Next?

Two problems with your request.

1) Because of Alan Greenspan's no regulation at all Fed policies, foreclosures are setting records, all but guaranteeing an increase in renters.

2) To ensure that apartments are kept nice and maintained requires regulation by government.

As a libertarian, you theorhetically would be against solving either problem through regulation.

As such, I blame you (and Gary) for the future crime and drug-infested ghetto that is Katy.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the pic, cla. I feel much better now. :)

Have a nice day. ;)

As such, I blame you (and Gary) for the future crime and drug-infested ghetto that is Katy.

Hee! :lol:

2) To ensure that apartments are kept nice and maintained requires regulation by government.

As a libertarian, you theorhetically would be against solving either problem through regulation.

You are correct. Sadly, it's too much to expect these days that the building and property management companies for most of these complexes can't be arsed to maintain them to any standards. In my polarized world, I wish that slumlords and lazy management companies would be given two choices: maintain the property correctly or all the tenants will be asked to leave and the whole site nuked from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure. ;)

You are correct. Sadly, it's too much to expect these days that the building and property management companies for most of these complexes can't be arsed to maintain them to any standards. In my polarized world, I wish that slumlords and lazy management companies would be given two choices: maintain the property correctly or all the tenants will be asked to leave and the whole site nuked from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure. ;)

Ahh, the minefield that is libertarianism. It's a great fantasy that I can do whatever I want, unfettered by rules, regs and ta....wha.....what the hell is THAT! Why are they building that concrete plant on MY street! Why, there ought to be a law!

We're ALL libertarians, except on our street. ;)

OK, so the apartments didn't explode, but the thread did! I think the gulfton scenario is a ways off for the greater cinco area, lol. That's all. Besides, you need to do something about all those cheap-ass signs everywhere first. ;)

I guess I just don't see apartment dwellers as universally bad. I lived in an apartment as recently as a year and a half ago. I was even (gasp) unemployed at the time. It was.....a garage apartment! We lived like animals, I tell ya. 2 adult humans and two cats in 600 sq ft. It's amazing I wasn't turning tricks for my vodka money! I love telling that story to the people I meet who know where I live now (a mere 5 or so blocks from the garage apt)--they assume I was moving out of the apt in the other house I owned. Nope. Just needed a place to live for a while--like the vast majority of other people who live in apartments.

Now, I have a small 8 unit complex across the street and a 4 plex next to that. And they're not even close to $1 per square foot. But they haven't negatively impacted my home's value, nor have I been a crime victim. As for Katy, my brother and his family, and my parents, still live out there. I grew up there. Granted, they're in the low-class part of Mason Road (south of 10 but north of Cinco), where there've been apartments for a long time. They don't seem to be bothered by renters.

Just another perspective, is all.

Yeah, that seems to work out really well in other cities. Because other cities don't have crime-prone poor people living there. :wacko:

Interesting I wish I could remember whom told me this but the lady (I think she was a realtor) about 2 or 3 years ago said that there would be an apartment explosion in all areas of Katy. They were expecting it and she said so many would be built it would alter things in this area dramatically and not for the better.

Seems the process has started.

With all the entry level and other types of jobs that will come with all the hospitals, etc the people that are willing to take those jobs will need some place to live nearby. That is the element that will probably rub many people the wrong way in this area.

To be honest I don't want to see them mainly because every city area I have ever lived in where mass apartments came things went down within a matter of years. So I don't hold any illusions that the same might not happen in Katy but guess only time will tell if the HOA, etc make these complexs keep there standards up.

Hell with the housing market like it is right now and possibly in the future there may be a lot of people in houses that will need to move to apartments with them being mortgaged beyond recovery.

B

Archived