Downtown Homeless Situation

ToolMan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many truly homeless people know about all these shelters?

They know the options...word gets around really fast, and they help each other.  Way back when, I even heard one guy giving another guy the current code to get into the men's restroom at Macy's.

The City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department moved to a “housing first” model to tackle homelessness in 2011, and set the goal to build, renovate or convert 2,500 units of permanent supportive housing. The method focuses on getting people into permanent housing (not shelters) and then providing services to get them sober and/or healthy. Director Neal Rackleff (pictured with the team spearheading homelessness initiatives, Melody Barr and Susan Speer) tells us the city has completed or started 2,510 units since. That includes 12 new construction projects totaling 766 units and $44M of funding from HCDD.

The outcome: Houston has housed 2,744 people in the last four years, chronic homelessness (people homeless for longer than a year or more than three times in the last four years) is down 70%, and overall homelessness has dropped 50%. Neal’s most excited about our progress with veterans—Houston was recognized this year by President Obama as one of two large cities that have virtually eradicated veteran homelessness. (Pictured is that recognition ceremony.) 3,917 homeless vets have been housed in the last four years, and there are homes available for more. 

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/affordable-housing/2015-the-year-houston-met-its-homelessness-goals-53275?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

I got an answer about Salvation Army charging:

For those men experiencing homelessness and looking for a place to eat, shower and sleep, our emergency shelter called Red Shield Lodge at the Harbor Light Center is open to receive them. During their stay a the emergency shelter, men have the opportunity to meet with case managers and are encouraged to transition to the Harbor Light program where they will work on the underlying issue that causes their homelessness. 

Men who choose to stay at the Red Shield Lodge longer than two weeks without entering Harbor Light's rehabilitation program are charged a nominal fee. The purpose of the fee is not to generate revenue, rather it is intended to be an incentive toward rehabilitation and stabilization. Men who participate in the Harbor Light Center rehabilitation program are not charged a fee to participate.

• Like 1

I got an answer about Salvation Army charging:

For those men experiencing homelessness and looking for a place to eat, shower and sleep, our emergency shelter called Red Shield Lodge at the Harbor Light Center is open to receive them. During their stay a the emergency shelter, men have the opportunity to meet with case managers and are encouraged to transition to the Harbor Light program where they will work on the underlying issue that causes their homelessness. 

Men who choose to stay at the Red Shield Lodge longer than two weeks without entering Harbor Light's rehabilitation program are charged a nominal fee. The purpose of the fee is not to generate revenue, rather it is intended to be an incentive toward rehabilitation and stabilization. Men who participate in the Harbor Light Center rehabilitation program are not charged a fee to participate.

Sigh.  At least now we know.  So if anyone comes up to you asking for money to keep staying at the Salvation army you know they aren't telling the whole truth

I wonder how many truly homeless people know about all these shelters?

That would depend, I bet, on what you mean by "truly homeless".... That is not a term I can infer what you mean.

However, I would be willing to bet that the majority of the addicts that many here call "homeless" know about these shelters. Unfortunately for them (and us) they prefer a life surrounded by their addiction of choice (drugs or booze) which comes with a pillow of concrete to the mattress, rules, regiment, and required counseling of many of the shelters.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

Sigh. At least now we know. So if anyone comes up to you asking for money to keep staying at the Salvation army you know they aren't telling the whole truth

Shocking! The addicts on the street begging for money for food or shelter aren't telling us the truth? Shocking.

I will say this: the addicts asking for money for food, will, if you give them money, immediately seek to spend it on their addiction of choice. It won't go for food. See, they can get free food at the shelters. What they CAN'T get at the shelters is free drugs or booze. THAT is why they need your money.... They need your money to go foster their addiction.

• Like 1

Yeah let's berate them for their addictions rather than debate options for tackling their addictions.

"Their horrible upbringing and subsequent life choices bother me because they talk to me!"

No point in debate. The most effective methods for dealing with addiction and the associated black market are clear and obvious, but the LEO lobbies and prison industrial complex will never let the solutions come to be.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 2
  • The title was changed to Downtown Homeless Situation