Crime In Midtown

eLy383Inc

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the same thing that is usually said when a homeless person is given money......might be a nighttime gig for one of them.

What kind of world do we live in where the HOMELESS have to take on second jobs to make ends meet?

I swear, we're going to hell in a handbasket.

That's the same thing that is usually said when a homeless person is given money......might be a nighttime gig for one of them.

There's a razor-thin difference between someone 'asking' for money, and someone demanding it.

Recently, I haven't been receiving my morning paper. The distributor says the delivery person has been getting hit up for money, and is afraid to get out of his (or her) car.

I'm thinking of pulling an all-nighter with pepper spray in hand...

There's a razor-thin difference between someone 'asking' for money, and someone demanding it.

Exactly. It's just taking it to the next level, like getting a promotion, and a raise.. <_<

Midtown is OK, it just has more opportunity for worthwhile crime . It's relatively safe, but has flashes of being a dangerous place; a savage place.

I ran over (in reverse) three attemped car jackers in my wife's SUV. This was 2003 in my Midtown driveway as they tried to jack me at dusk.

Score one for the good guy, and long live SUVs.

come on midtowncoog, give us a few more details...you left me wanting more. did these guys get laid up in the hospital, cuffed, or did they get away? also, was your driveway that accessible from the street?

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone else hear all the explosions going off at around 8:15-8:30 last night? I live in Midtown, and was really loud. I suppose it may have just been a fireworks display, but didn't see anything outside. Does anyone know?

So do I and I am at 45 south and Wayside area. I assumed it was usual U of H game celebrations. I looked out 3 level for a sec and just ignored. Must have been a game. You would hear all the way to there I imagine. This is interesting since we always wondered how far the sound travels. When trees grow back on trees we hear less, really. :)

So do I and I am at 45 south and Wayside area. I assumed it was usual U of H game celebrations. I looked out 3 level for a sec and just ignored. Must have been a game. You would hear all the way to there I imagine. This is interesting since we always wondered how far the sound travels. When trees grow back on trees we hear less, really. :)

I suppose you're right. It must just be that much louder due to winter and the lack of leaves on the trees. This was the loudest I've ever heard it. It almost sounded like artillery going off.

I suppose you're right. It must just be that much louder due to winter and the lack of leaves on the trees. This was the loudest I've ever heard it. It almost sounded like artillery going off.

That's one thing I miss while growing up a block from Eastwood Transit Center was the seasonal football game sounds/celebrations from across the freeway. As soon as we heard we opned the front door and had a free firework display from U of H parties! Your right though it was questionably louder. Apparently today's pyrotechnics have been improved. Maybe homes will shake from now on? Go Coogs!

That's one thing I miss while growing up a block from Eastwood Transit Center was the seasonal football game sounds/celebrations from across the freeway. As soon as we heard we opned the front door and had a free firework display from U of H parties! Your right though it was questionably louder. Apparently today's pyrotechnics have been improved. Maybe homes will shake from now on? Go Coogs!

I thought it was gunfire at first too since I didn't see any fireworks.... crazy.

My dog went nuts.

What a trip-- I heard them too from Eastwood, first thought fireworks, and then thunder. I actually went outside to look at the sky, and then it stopped.

It would be funny if it were a UFO (mother ship) and we all dismissed as fireworks. Could have got rich and famous.

Best thing to do is find a schedule of next games and pull up lawn chairs for the show. I could see perfectly from my outdoor 2 level decks. Not worry about mosquitoes. >:)

Did anyone else hear all the explosions going off at around 8:15-8:30 last night? I live in Midtown, and was really loud. I suppose it may have just been a fireworks display, but didn't see anything outside. Does anyone know?

They were low level fireworks over at the new city park by the GRB if I recall correctly.

They were low level fireworks over at the new city park by the GRB if I recall correctly.

That explains why it sounded like a bombing scene outside. Sure would be nice if the city or local media would tell us (or warn us) about local events like this.

I looked outside and didn't see anything, and then I turned on the news in case there was an accident or in case somebody was attacking us. Crazy!

• 6 months later...

This weekend, there were two incidents of crime that occurred around my house. Friday night, I called the police on two guys hurriedly pushing a nice grill in a shopping cart down the road at 2:30 am (unfortunately they got away). Then this morning, I saw my neighbor's car with its front window smashed in.

Because of these incidents, I've been thinking a little more about crime deterrents and wanted to throw a couple questions out there for all of you...

1. Has anyone looked into (or know anything about) neighborhood security camera systems? I've read articles recently about how some neighborhoods have turned to privately operated neighborhood camera systems... and crime has dropped tremendously from them.

2. HPD's website contains this quote about crime prevention... "Know who belongs in your neighborhood. Report suspicious persons immediately."... and they provide the phone number to HPD South Central division. Well, in Midtown... what would be your definition of a "suspicious person"?

1. Has anyone looked into (or know anything about) neighborhood security camera systems? I've read articles recently about how some neighborhoods have turned to privately operated neighborhood camera systems... and crime has dropped tremendously from them.

Those claims usually come from the companies selling the cameras. Try googling security cameras in Great Britain, "the most watched country on earth", and see what they say repeatedly about the cameras. It won't stop the crime, but at least you'll have a nice video watching it occur. If the quality is good enough (not likely at night), you or a neighbor might even recognize the person...but identifying them is another story.

where was your neighbor's car parked?

petty crimes like this are common in midtown.

It was on the street. I know this happens a lot in Midtown (that's why I always park in the garage).

Those claims usually come from the companies selling the cameras. Try googling security cameras in Great Britain, "the most watched country on earth", and see what they say repeatedly about the cameras. It won't stop the crime, but at least you'll have a nice video watching it occur. If the quality is good enough (not likely at night), you or a neighbor might even recognize the person...but identifying them is another story.

Those are some my concerns as well. However, I think they still might be helpful in at least making sure no one is creeping around while at work.

I guess it all boils down to what can we as a community do in order to fight back and prevent some of this from happening (other than the usual stuff like locking doors, parking in the garage, etc.)?

For example, should we call the police on those guys you might see walking around at night on the darker streets... constantly looking over their shoulder... sometimes carrying a small empty bag? What about the types that are pushing an empty shopping cart? I'm not talking about the homeless (who are usually asleep by then and are harmless). How would you define a person as "suspicious" for Midtown standards?

Edited by brian0123

A bigger issue might be whether anyone would even show up in the examples you gave. The shopping cart guy might receive a response, now that HPD has recognized a link between cart pushers and burglary. The guy with his head on a swivel...probably not. A guy climbing fences or tugging at doorknobs, yes.

If you and the neighbors decide to go the camera route, be aware of a couple of things. One, if no one is watching, no one sees the crime, and no one calls the police. Two, a camera without the resolution to identify a suspect is largely useless, except perhaps to let you know that someone is outside. Third, if you get a good camera, go ahead and spend the bucks on a digital recorder, so the cops can see what you saw.

A far cheaper, but more effective route may be to install bright lights with motion sensors. Go ahead and let the sensor pick up the sidewalk walkers. When the light comes on, they never really know if it came on because they are being watched or not. While not stopping every crime, that second thought may cause the opportunist to back off. I like THIS one. 450 watts will light up half your block. I have a twin and 2 singles in my backyard, and when I turn all of them on it looks like daylight out there. If you have a camera system, you'll need good lighting anyway.

It was on the street.

I thought so. crimes such as this can happen so quickly and the perpetrator doesn't have to be on foot either. go to some of the pip/police meetings HPD holds regarding issues in midtown. i think you'll open your eyes even more.

A far cheaper, but more effective route may be to install bright lights with motion sensors. Go ahead and let the sensor pick up the sidewalk walkers. When the light comes on, they never really know if it came on because they are being watched or not. While not stopping every crime, that second thought may cause the opportunist to back off. I like THIS one. 450 watts will light up half your block. I have a twin and 2 singles in my backyard, and when I turn all of them on it looks like daylight out there. If you have a camera system, you'll need good lighting anyway.

Great suggestion. I never thought about turning it on for the sidewalk.

• 2 years later...

Did anyone lose a glass pipe at one of the park benches on Anita?

Just kidding. But seriously I found a broken glass pipe that my dogs nearly stepped on yesterday evening.

I work sales so I am in and out of my town home during the day and have noticed (and smelled) a great deal more people "smoking" on the park benches in the past few months. It's rather obvious in the 10 months that I have lived here that these benches are used more as a bed or living room for people. I have yet to see any of my neighbors use them. If I am mistaken please let me know so I can return your pipe to you. ;-)

From the design of the benches it appears that the city sought to avoid this activity as it looks difficult to sleep on them, but I guess people find a way. Who should I talk to about having these benches removed?

Steve

Just kidding. But seriously I found a broken glass pipe that my dogs nearly stepped on yesterday evening.

I work sales so I am in and out of my town home during the day and have noticed (and smelled) a great deal more people "smoking" on the park benches in the past few months. It's rather obvious in the 10 months that I have lived here that these benches are used more as a bed or living room for people. I have yet to see any of my neighbors use them. If I am mistaken please let me know so I can return your pipe to you. ;-)

From the design of the benches it appears that the city sought to avoid this activity as it looks difficult to sleep on them, but I guess people find a way. Who should I talk to about having these benches removed?

Steve

After you've smoked a crack pipe, a pile of rocks looks comfortable. No amount of bench lumpiness will prevent its use by the criminally stoned.

Steve

I might be your neighbor (I live on Anita) and have used them occasionally. I haven't seen anyone smoking crack on them, but if you smell and see anyone suspicious on them, call our constables or HPD right away. It won't take them long to figure out that if they "smoke" on our street, they will be going to jail quickly. HPD arrested a guy in front of my house the other night (had been pulled over in his car) for crack and a crack pipe... so they are very responsive and ready to arrest.

Yes. It's a family heirloom, and I'd appreciate its return.

Editor is correct; the presence or lack of benches has no effect on addicts. They congregate wherever there's a lesser chance of being harassed by the police.

If there are users, there are dealers in close proximity. The squeaky wheel gets the grease; ask for increased patrolling. If your neighbors get involved too, there's a chance that the activity can be moved to some other neighborhood.

If there are users, there are dealers in close proximity. The squeaky wheel gets the grease; ask for increased patrolling. If your neighbors get involved too, there's a chance that the activity can be moved to some other neighborhood.

Good point. I think it's rare to find a junkie that can hold off walking more than 50 feet from his dealer to get his fix. Unless they're rolling up in a car and buying. But as described earlier, this appears to be a pedestrian operation.

• 3 months later...

Seems like there are suspect characters always waiting to go up to cars and others doing recon. Anyone else notice this? I can tell they already know my vehicle (thus know i'm not a cop). Assuming this has been brought up before at a public safety meeting.

Do you think this area will seem safer when there is more development? There are already two nice bars: 13 and Art bar.