Crime In Midtown

eLy383Inc

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I thought the subject had the cross-streets, but the area around Tuam/Anita crossing Fannin/Main. Will try to take a pic is possible.

right you are, my apologies for not reading that!

This would be ironic if they are conducting nefarious deeds, Google maps says crime stoppers of Houston is right there @ Main and Anita...

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there are suspect characters always waiting to go up to cars and others doing recon. Anyone else notice this? I can tell they already know my vehicle (thus know i'm not a cop). Assuming this has been brought up before at a public safety meeting.

Do you think this area will seem safer when there is more development? There are already two nice bars: 13 and Art bar.

Just call them in to the Constables with a description of their clothing or post their pictures on this site. I've even asked a few of them what they 'got' to tell the cops what their actually selling. Most the time it's sex.......sad but true. The Constables are typically pretty good about running them off. The more they get run off, the less their around, because of the hassle.

get an airhorn and use it to scare the crap out of them. post funny vids here.

Guerilla, thanks for the advice. Oddly enough I was cruising through this area yesterday morning around 10am and there was a car in the middle of the street soliciting whatever, so I drove past (rather than waiting behind them). Not sure if they were paranoid, but then they followed me. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but then after a few non-blinker turns, they were still on me. I finally lost them by doing some circles. Couldn't get the license plate.

Think I'll just take Elgin instead.

Guerilla, thanks for the advice. Oddly enough I was cruising through this area yesterday morning around 10am and there was a car in the middle of the street soliciting whatever, so I drove past (rather than waiting behind them). Not sure if they were paranoid, but then they followed me. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but then after a few non-blinker turns, they were still on me. I finally lost them by doing some circles. Couldn't get the license plate.

Think I'll just take Elgin instead.

wtf... that is ridiculous, let the midtown management district know about this.

Yeah, probably head to next safety meeting. They'll ask why I didn't call the cops, but when you're driving and trying to lose someone (who may coincidentally being going the same way), hard to call at the same time. Maybe putting the precint 7 as AA-precint 7 on hands free, so that it shows up right away, is a good strategy.

• 3 months later...

I think that as long as there is a rampant homeless population that remains uncontrolled or unchecked that this will be a problem.

While not all acts of violence are perpetrated by the homeless, and most homeless are just a nuisance in the form of asking for change before they shuffle off to ask someone else, having homeless in the area allows people out having a good time to easily dismiss the people who are loitering. They think "Oh, it's just a homeless person wandering around asking for change" then they get accosted. Then there are homeless that do participate in the crime themselves.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, other than these places hiring security to hang around, and having better lighting on the side streets that people park on, and more patrols by law enforcement. Of course, they then may end up protecting people in other ways by arresting drunk drivers and such.

While I do hope this makes HPD pay attention (I can't tell how many times I've seen them drive right past a prostitute or crack dealer)... we still need to keep things in perspective. Midtown is the most pedestrian friendly neighborhood in the middle of the 4th largest city in the US. There will always be foot traffic and people walking around. We have rail lines, bus lines, are near tourist attractions, etc. Businesses just need to do a better job of providing security to their patrons (just like Target, Walmart, malls, etc. have private security). HPD needs to patrol more and actually talk to people walking around on the street instead of just driving by them. Once HPD makes their presence known, people will take notice and behave.

While I do hope this makes HPD pay attention (I can't tell how many times I've seen them drive right past a prostitute or crack dealer)... we still need to keep things in perspective. Midtown is the most pedestrian friendly neighborhood in the middle of the 4th largest city in the US. There will always be foot traffic and people walking around. We have rail lines, bus lines, are near tourist attractions, etc. Businesses just need to do a better job of providing security to their patrons (just like Target, Walmart, malls, etc. have private security). HPD needs to patrol more and actually talk to people walking around on the street instead of just driving by them. Once HPD makes their presence known, people will take notice and behave.

Agreed. If they can make it relatively safe to walk around Manhattan, they should be able to accomplish the same thing in Midtown Houston.

Agreed. If they can make it relatively safe to walk around Manhattan, they should be able to accomplish the same thing in Midtown Houston.

How does midtown compare with the rest of the city?

How does midtown compare with other cities?

How does midtown compare with similar areas of other cities?

How does midtown compare with the rest of the city?

How does midtown compare with other cities?

How does midtown compare with similar areas of other cities?

Or even how does Midtown compare internally? SE vs NW. Sure we could find the stats on all your questions. Maybe we can get the data from the management district at least for the city.

found the Houston crime map online. linked directly to midtown.

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/midtown/

looking on the homepage says this is from 2004 to present...

9100 crimes in midtown

34000 crimes in Alief (yikes)

3850 crimes in eastwood

17000 crimes in greater heights (much larger are than the rest though)

there's actually a 'historical' which shows crimes/month (roughly on a graph).

found the Houston crime map online. linked directly to midtown.

http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/midtown/

looking on the homepage says this is from 2004 to present...

9100 crimes in midtown

34000 crimes in Alief (yikes)

3850 crimes in eastwood

17000 crimes in greater heights (much larger are than the rest though)

there's actually a 'historical' which shows crimes/month (roughly on a graph).

Raw numbers aren't all that helpful if we're going to be hysterical about thing. We need per capita numbers.

Something that stood out to me, though -- the largest portion of the Midtown crimes since 2004 were drug offenses. But the number of drug crimes in January (apparently the most recent month available there) is 0. Interesting.

Raw numbers aren't all that helpful if we're going to be hysterical about thing. We need per capita numbers.

Something that stood out to me, though -- the largest portion of the Midtown crimes since 2004 were drug offenses. But the number of drug crimes in January (apparently the most recent month available there) is 0. Interesting.

agreed, we need per capita, especially since the size of the neighborhoods isn't exactly the same, so that isn't very scientific either. Still interesting data.

edit: would also be interesting to see demographic data of the crime....

especially for midtown, who are the people committing the drug crimes?

Edited by samagon

HPD gives 2 opportunities for citizens to get stats on crime and discuss that info with HPD brass => City wide PIP (1600 state street-- 7pm 2nd tues-meets every other month) local PIP (district 1 & 2 meets 4th tues 7pm 1600 state street)

Did Midtown's Executive director comment? Neartown's boundaries only cover a slice of Midtown.

Also did the the Midtown Management district comment? Isn't there additional HPD patrols paid for by that organization? I would think that organization would have some insight to those crime stats.

Edited by trymahjong

especially for midtown, who are the people committing the drug crimes?

I know they bust a lot of club goers for drugs... but they bust a ton of homeless and random foot/car traffic. Anywhere there are a lot of people with disposable income looking for a good time, you will find dealers.

The news report was more about an increase in aggravated assaults. From what I see on the maps (and what I've seen personally), most of the assaults are homeless on homeless type of crime or fights at a bar. The locations on the map for agg. assaults all tend to be spots I know where homeless sleep or hang out.

If ABC wants to complain about crime at popular hotspots... they should also look along Washington Avenue http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/memorial-park-washington-avenue/ 11,600 Total Crimes mainly burglary and theft

I know they bust a lot of club goers for drugs... but they bust a ton of homeless and random foot/car traffic. Anywhere there are a lot of people with disposable income looking for a good time, you will find dealers.

The news report was more about an increase in aggravated assaults. From what I see on the maps (and what I've seen personally), most of the assaults are homeless on homeless type of crime or fights at a bar. The locations on the map for agg. assaults all tend to be spots I know where homeless sleep or hang out.

If ABC wants to complain about crime at popular hotspots... they should also look along Washington Avenue http://houstoncrimemaps.com/neighborhood/memorial-park-washington-avenue/ 11,600 Total Crimes mainly burglary and theft

On the management district question, I'm not sure about HPD, but I think that roughly 50% of the budget from the fees we pay to Midtown goes to public safety. It seems that it allows us to have more coverage by Precinct 7. I can verify this with Cynthia Alvarado. The dues have stayed flat of late, so unless you have more tax payers, the amount of precinct 7 constables will stay flat. Brian might be able to elaborate more, but over the years we have slowly added more contables.

The news report was more about an increase in aggravated assaults. From what I see on the maps (and what I've seen personally), most of the assaults are homeless on homeless type of crime or fights at a bar.

This is true, though I, personally, have beeen assaulted/robbed twice in the last two years in Midtown, once with a gun involved. While my incident may be unique in the circumstances involved, I do not believe for a second that the assaults are mainly limited to "bum fights" or drunk patrons at bars as you suggest.

• Like 1

This is true, though I, personally, have beeen assaulted/robbed twice in the last two years in Midtown, once with a gun involved. While my incident may be unique in the circumstances involved, I do not believe for a second that the assaults are mainly limited to "bum fights" or drunk patrons at bars as you suggest.

Wow, that's insane. Where at and what time of day/night? Did they catch the suspects? I'm not saying they are limited to bum fights and drunk patrons... just that a good chunk is.

Wow, that's insane. Where at and what time of day/night? Did they catch the suspects? I'm not saying they are limited to bum fights and drunk patrons... just that a good chunk is.

I disagree.

The problem is that there needs to be some sort of context as to what the "crime" is.

Assaults could vary wildly from drunk people fighting, to Domestic squabbles, to someone calling their girlfriend fat and genuine muggings.

I remember at some point, HPD and HFD would actually stage people and equipment over by the Sudden Impact parking lot, but I haven't seen that in several months.

If there needs to be done is a couple of bicycle and foot patrols that need to be concentrated from Holman to San Jacinto, Pierce and Taft.

If they want to get ambitious, they could also wonder further into the ward as well. But I doubt that would happen, but either way, the cops outside of their cars are need to supplement the ones patrolling for DUI's.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to the original article, HPD recently spoke at Midtown's public safety meeting about this news segment and said the reporters were dead wrong (and they were upset by the reporting). The officer even called out an ABC reporter (and cameraman that did the original story) at another public meeting on their incorrect reporting. Apparently the reporter took crime stats from areas outside of Midtown and lumped them in as part of Midtown... hence that's why you see the neartown guy speak and not a Midtown rep. The officer had the stats with him at the meeting. If you look at HPD crime stats within the boundaries of Midtown itself... crime is down by a good chunk.

Yeah electronics will always attract thieves.

You'd be surprised.

My part of Montrose is the EMCA/ Avondale lots of cars parked on streets for bars and restauants. Car burlgarly is #1. People walk down the streets checking to see if doors are locked and looking in car windows. They will break windows for anything left inside. Computer bags--sure but also backgammon sets, fancy flashlights, a hanging suiter and one guy had a garage door opener stolen---but it was for his mother garage door in another city. I wonder how long that guy

went up and down the streets clicking at various garages?