Cheap Gas!

Hunter

It you happen to know of any places in and around Houston that is selling cheap gas lets let each other know so we can try to save a buck.

I know one location that I found this morning. Mr. Mecury in La Porte on Spencer Hwy and Farrington. Is only $1.74 this morning! This is subject to change but the place is normally still cheaper than the norm.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there is a website where you can enter your city or zip and it will tell you where the cheap is. :)

here's an article on a website like that, but it has an annual fee of $20 to use.

the shell on beltway and genoa-red bluff, and the one on beltway and telephone always seem the cheapest around me, but i'm comparing to clear lake so that's probably not saying much.

Be careful.  Cheap gas can ruin your engine.

I like Shell.

That is not always true but sometimes yes it is. It is always a good rule of thumb to put gass treatment in your tank every so often any way and if you do it shoudl reduce or eliminate any damage that might occur.

The Shell at Telephone and Park Place Blvd is not to pricy right now.

Whenever I drive east on I-10 there are a couple of gas stations at the Sheldon Road exit that always seems to be among the lowest in town that I've seen... often 5-10 cents less than my area of the city (Bellaire).

Whenever I go to Louisiana I always fill up in Orange. It's the exit with the Jack-in-the-Box... there are several gas stations there. It's amazing, they are all priced about 10-15 cents less than what you find in Houston!

I rarely go to Shell since they seem to be priced the highest and I'm on a tight budget.

I have seen and read some things about how it may have dirt or leaves in it and this can mess up your engine. I have also known some people who would buy gas from cheap places. Some have had engine problems, and the person who fixed it said it was due to things in the gas and that is can be found in gas at cheap gas stations.

I have seen and read some things about how it may have dirt or leaves in it and this can mess up your engine.  I have also known some people who would buy gas from cheap places.  Some have had engine problems, and the person who fixed it said it was due to things in the gas and that is can be found in gas at cheap gas stations.

Every car I've ever seen has had a fuel filter...usually two. Dirt and leaves would result in a clogged filter.

After paying $2.23 per gallon to refill a rental car tank in Rochester, NY Friday afternoon, I'm not complaining about our gas prices here right now. At least I'll get reimbursed by my (hopefully) future employer for that expense.

After paying $2.23 per gallon to refill a rental car tank in Rochester, NY Friday afternoon, I'm not complaining about our gas prices here right now. At least I'll get reimbursed by my (hopefully) future employer for that expense.

gas was $1.79 here in westchase last week. it is now averaging $1.99 ... so glad i am driving a civic. can still fill up and do 330+ miles for $20.

:)

I'm trying to talk my wife into looking at some of those new hybrid Accords.

Great idea....the break even point in cost savings is a mere 156k miles....and that's assuming all city driving (quickest break even) and gas at $2.50 per gallon. Each and every fill up after that, you can take comfort in the knowledge that you just saved $4.50 over a regular Accord.

Oh damn...I left out the sales tax.....better make that 166k miles.

I don't think most people looking at hybrid cars are buying them to save money overall. I think most are trying to use less gas for environmental reasons. And there's a "cool" factor there too since hybrid cars are still very much a new technology and in the minority of vehicles on the road. But I don't think anyone buys one expecting to come out ahead financially in terms of total cost of ownership over the life of the car.

Whether or not buying a hybrid is a bad deal I think really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're thinking that the gas savings will offset the extra cost of acquiring the car and in the long run you'll come out ahead, you are likely kidding yourself unless you put a ton of miles on the car during the period you own it. If on the other hand you're buying it for environmental reasons, then a "good deal" may be a more subjective thing.

Personally, I'm considering a hybrid for my next purchase, but I'm looking at it for the environmental benefits -- lower emissions, more efficient use of the gas I put in it, etc. But that fits with my lifestyle, values, and concern for the environment. It's not just about not filling up on $2/gallon gas as often, becuase the higher monthly payment on the car will more than make up that difference.

I think the people who do come out financially ahead on hybrids are those who live in areas with very high gas prices (Houston is not one of them) and commute long distances, so they rack up a lot of miles quickly.

I'm catching sarcasm there.. :unsure: Are Hybrids no good in the long run? I haven't done any research, I just wanted to look into them for the better gas milage. We travel to Louisiana quite often to visit my family. And Sullivan is right - it can't hurt the enviroment as much as a regular non-hybrid vehicle right?

For the record, we (my wife and I) only drive cars until they're paid off (usually 4 years). We then trade them in. With this in mind, does that make buying a hybrid that much more of a bad deal?? :huh:

Hybrids are not a long term solution. They're a band aid. There are 2 reasons they get better mileage....regenerative braking, and they run the engine at a fixed speed which is more efficient than running at continuously variable speeds.....but they still burn gasoline, and they're not leaps and bounds more efficient than conventional cars.

Buying new and getting rid of 'em when they are paid of is the absolute worst way to buy cars.....buying new and holding long term, and buying used, and holding short term are much much more cost effective....although if buy new and hold is your pattern for the forseeable future, you might look at leasing....you'll be money ahead in the long run, with less risk and hassle.

I agree completely, and thus is why I'm looking at the hybrids. I know they cost more, but the idea that I'll fill up less, ultimately burning less fossil fuel, is a nice notion worth paying a few extra bucks for.

Yes, but hybrids have unarguably more parts to manufacture, and that takes energy be it in the form of heat or electricty, and some of that is bound to come from fossil fuel....so is there really any net gain when you consider the small savings in fuel while operating vs. the larger use of fuel/energy to manufacture? I have no idea how it balances out, but hybrids will take more energy to manufacture, no question about it.

Yes, but hybrids have unarguably more parts to manufacture, and that takes energy be it in the form of heat or electricty, and some of that is bound to come from fossil fuel....so is there really any net gain when you consider the small savings in fuel while operating vs. the larger use of fuel/energy to manufacture?  I have no idea how it balances out, but hybrids will take more energy to manufacture, no question about it.

i am not sure what the TRUE cost of hybrids is, but it seems to me that:

• they are more fuel efficient
  • they spew less pollution into the air
  • they take up less SPACE

with gas approaching $2.25 a gallon this summer and the average SUV taking 20 GALLONS to fill up that works out to $40 - $50 a tankful. with the smaller cars (like my civic) it fills up with about 10 gallons or about $22. just seems to me that everyday driving makes more sense in a MORE fuel efficient car. just my dumb logic, but what do i know?

with gas approaching $2.25 a gallon this summer and the average SUV taking 20 GALLONS to fill up that works out to $40 - $50 a tankful.  with the smaller cars (like my civic) it fills up with about 10 gallons or about $22.  just seems to me that everyday driving makes more sense in a MORE fuel efficient car.  just my dumb logic, but what do i know?

I wasn't comparing hybrids to SUVs. I was comparing an Accord Hybrid to an equivalent Accord V6. The fuel savings shrink dramatically when you compare these two. Of course driving a more fuel efficient car makes *perfect* sense if that's the only metric you're considering....but there's a whole lot more to consider than just fuel efficiency.

Archived