George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Just now, mattyt36 said:

It's decent at what it does, if the alternative is nothing.  It was actually built by the Walt Disney Corporation to replace the initial system, which didn't even last 5 years.

https://stuckattheairport.com/tag/walt-disney-company/

DFW's original train system, airtrans, ended up being quite the bust as well.

That's interesting. 

14 hours ago, SkylineView said:

I love that weird little train, and the mile long hallway it runs along.

I think that my favorite design feature is that instead of putting speakers on the train they put them on the ceiling right above the train. The result is a two mile long circle of speakers mounted to the ceiling that play the muzak of the day. 

17 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Extended to downtown, of course.  It'd probably only take 15 minutes longer than at-grade light rail.  (Kidding.)

It has to be kept in operation, replaced with moving sidewalks, or replaced with an interterminal bus system--plenty of UA passengers park in one garage, only to arrive in another terminal.  Last time I heard it was to be rebuilt--the problem being all of the parts for the existing train have to be handmade since the technology has been way superseded.  There is no way that it will be replaced as the tunnel would have to be completely rebuilt and expanded between the hotel and A, and, however inefficient, a bus system may be, it'll always win out on a benefit-cost basis.  Plenty more pressing projects at IAH and limited funds.

The plan is to "Re-life or replace" the subway train system.
• Design Services in FY-2020
• Construction in FY-2022

On 9/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Houston19514 said:

The plan is to "Re-life or replace" the subway train system.
• Design Services in FY-2020
• Construction in FY-2022

Ah, someone has discovered the ever-illuminating capital budget document!

There's obviously a big difference between "re-life" and "replace" . . .

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-officials-fly-new-plans-for-international-13228403.php

Looks Like the Airport System has ripped up the replacement plan and is now working on a plan that is more focused on renovation and reworking existing terminals.  Pity. 

That is disappointing, but to be fair they've done a great job with B South and C North, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this will turn out well. And we seem to be pretty stagnant as far as new international carriers go for awhile, so if they add those 6 new gates mentioned then hopefully capacity should be sufficient. Still, would have been nice to see a brand new terminal at IAH.

4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-officials-fly-new-plans-for-international-13228403.php

Looks Like the Airport System has ripped up the replacement plan and is now working on a plan that is more focused on renovation and reworking existing terminals.  Pity. 

Wow, that kind of sucks. I get combining D and E, but removing parking at E? Really? 

Adding baggage for domestic passengers at E is a smart move though. 

13 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Not really true.  The plan still completely replaces the current Terminal D and former C North.

As is so often the case, the Chronicle got a lot wrong in that article.  There will still be parking at Terminal E.  They still plan to completely replace the existing Terminal D and former C North.  There are more errors in the article as well, but that's enough for the moment.

We will be building a whole new Terminal just as much as under the prior plan.

Edited by Houston19514

Phase 1:
▪ Refresh Old C North Concourse;
▪ Add Sterile Corridor on East Side of Old C-North.
▪ Construct New Pier D3;

Demolish Terminal D Garage (the far east end of the parking structure that serves Terminals C and D/E)
▪ New ticketing Hall
▪ New Arrivals / Departures Curbs and Roadway modifications
▪ Modified FIS & Tenants
▪ New Arrivals Hall
▪ Baggage Modifications

Phase 2:

Construct New Pier D2; and
▪ Construct New Connector Corridors.
▪ Phased Demolition of Terminal D; and
▪ Construct New East Concessions, VIP Lounges Core.

Complete IH/FIS Build-Out:
▪ 3rd Ticketing Level (relocated FF Airlines)
▪ 2nd Ticketing Level (relocate and expand UAL);
▪ Domestic Reclaim Belts & Basement Build-Out;
▪ Departures Curb Vertical Circulation & Link Bridge;
▪ Relocated Arrivals Curb.

Phase 3:

Phased Demolition of Terminal D, C-D Connector and Old C- North;
▪ Construct New Pier D1; and
▪ Construct New West Frontal Gates.

The additional 2 levels of new parking will be on top of the parking structure that sits between, and serves, Terminals C and D/E.

• Like 1

Thanks for filling in the lacking details. That does sound a quite a bit more comprehensive. I do think that keeping the ticketing levels in the central corridor makes the most sense. I think that putting Terminal D on the north side was a mistake and IAH has been struggling with that decision ever since. Terminal D never even seemed as though it was part of the same airport. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, wxman said:

What’s the latest on this redevelopment? Is there a timeline to break ground?

There was a presentation to a council committee last month.  Apparently, the first step is, again, the demolition of old C North. The timing indication was that the old C North demolition might be underway next year this time. I believe some of the enabling projects are already underway?

The other interesting item from the presentation was that Terminal A is "bursting at the seams", with multiple airlines wanting additional gates in the terminal. One airline wants 6 gates; United has asked for 4 gates; 2 other airlines want at least 2 gates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 0:01 PM, Houston19514 said:

There was a presentation to a council committee last month.  Apparently, the first step is, again, the demolition of old C North. The timing indication was that the old C North demolition might be underway next year this time. I believe some of the enabling projects are already underway?

The other interesting item from the presentation was that Terminal A is "bursting at the seams", with multiple airlines wanting additional gates in the terminal. One airline wants 6 gates; United has asked for 4 gates; 2 other airlines want at least 2 gates.

United can F right off. They are only using the gates in A to block growth of other airlines. They don't even offer baggage claim or check-in services in A! 

Because they are hoarding gates in terminal A in order to keep other airlines out. Theres no room in A for any other airline to expand services. It's likely why we don't see American serve JFk or Delta service to LAX or SEA. 

United doesn't need space in A. They just want space in A to stifle competition. 

And sure, technically it's AA's fault that there were weather delays causing chaos yesterday but if they had more gates, it wouldn't have been an issue. It's not that complicated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Because they are hoarding gates in terminal A in order to keep other airlines out. Theres no room in A for any other airline to expand services. It's likely why we don't see American serve JFk or Delta service to LAX or SEA. 

United doesn't need space in A. They just want space in A to stifle competition. 

And sure, technically it's AA's fault that there were weather delays causing chaos yesterday but if they had more gates, it wouldn't have been an issue. It's not that complicated.

Do you have a source for that information?  It seems highly likely that if there was any such case to be made, American (and other airlines) would be aggressively making it. (Airport lease terms and federal regulations address these sorts of things.)

Go stand in the parking garage that overlooks terminal A from the roof. Watch and see how often United actually utilizes Terminal A for operations. They're squatting. The last thing United wants is for Spirit, American, and Delta (the likely airlines wanting more space) to have larger operations at IAH. A 6 gate expansion for say, Spirit, would mean a potential tripling of service beyond the major markets they already serve (FLL, LAX, LAS, GUA, SAP, SAL, SJD, DEN, ORD, MSY, ATL, BWI, etc...). Even a two gate expansion for an airline like Delta could mean a third carrier on a route to SEA, a fourth to LAX,  and opening operations to their growing hub at JFK. 

23 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Do you have a source for that information?  It seems highly likely that if there was any such case to be made, American (and other airlines) would be aggressively making it. (Airport lease terms and federal regulations address these sorts of things.)

Houston Airport Systems knows who butters their bread at IAH. 

And I believe that UA has a long-term lease on their "three" A gates because they paid for the extension of A3 into 8 sub-gates. 

Although I do think that the smaller gates are only usable by regional jets.

And as I mentioned before, United has so few flights at A, that instead of operating a check-in counter, they instruct passengers to take the train to terminal B and check-in their luggage there. Same thing with retrieving luggage on arrivals. You should see how upset some of those customers are. 

54 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Go stand in the parking garage that overlooks terminal A from the roof. Watch and see how often United actually utilizes Terminal A for operations. They're squatting. The last thing United wants is for Spirit, American, and Delta (the likely airlines wanting more space) to have larger operations at IAH. A 6 gate expansion for say, Spirit, would mean a potential tripling of service beyond the major markets they already serve (FLL, LAX, LAS, GUA, SAP, SAL, SJD, DEN, ORD, MSY, ATL, BWI, etc...). Even a two gate expansion for an airline like Delta could mean a third carrier on a route to SEA, a fourth to LAX,  and opening operations to their growing hub at JFK. 

I personally don't think that DL would be knocking down doors to add competing service on heavily-trafficked routes, but they might. 

Then again, DL is moving IAH-LGA to all Airbus 220 service, which should be quite interesting as it offers quite a bit better experience than the normal A320/737 does (in economy).

I'm a big fan of Spirit, and I could see them growing IAH to something like DTW (with a maintenance and pilot base even!) but they've seem to hit a bit of a wall and I don't know where else makes sense for them. MCI didn't work out and I doubt that they would launch intra-Texas service. Maybe Colombia service? SFO/OAK? I don't know!

A lot to process there.  But, really interesting.  One observation is that with a large Processor at Terminal A (TSA security check point), it seems as though the Processor at Terminal B would be eliminated. Connectors from Terminal A would be constructed to B-North and B-South.  Thanks, Yaga!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 9:52 AM, Naviguessor said:

A lot to process there.  But, really interesting.  One observation is that with a large Processor at Terminal A (TSA security check point), it seems as though the Processor at Terminal B would be eliminated. Connectors from Terminal A would be constructed to B-North and B-South.  Thanks, Yaga!

I can't imagine that happening. 

Even if Terminal A were expanded a bit, I think that the current checkpoints that they have would be acceptable, they would just need to be fully utilized. I can't remember ever seeing all lanes open (especially south)