2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

(this is the only one we've received so far):

My Friends,

Millions of Americans on Main Street are feeling the effects of our current economic crisis largely brought on by corruption and greed at Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Wall Street. Our next president must come into office with a plan to address the very root the failing housing market.

Last night, during my debate with Senator Obama, I announced my plan to fix the root of our problem and I'd like to share a little more with you today.

If elected president, I will direct my Treasury Secretary to implement an American Homeownership Resurgence Plan to keep families in their homes, avoid foreclosures, save failing neighborhoods, stabilize the housing market and attack the roots of our financial crisis.

America's families are bearing a heavy burden from falling housing prices, mortgage delinquencies, foreclosures, and a weak economy. It is important that those families who have worked hard enough to finance homeownership not have that dream crushed under the weight of the wrong mortgage.

For those that cannot make inflated payments or their mortgage exceeds the value of their home, mortgages must be re-structured to put losses on the books and put homeowners in manageable mortgages.

This Resurgence Plan would purchase mortgages directly from homeowners and mortgage servicers, and replace them with manageable, fixed-rate mortgages that will keep families in their homes.

By purchasing the existing, failing mortgages the resurgence plan will eliminate uncertainty over defaults, support the value of mortgage-backed derivatives and alleviate risks that are freezing financial markets.

I am ready to lead our country out of this financial crisis and I am ready to work with anyone and everyone who will help. Together, I know we can work together to find solutions for these challenging times. Please do your part today and spread the word about my new plan by forwarding this email on to your neighbors, friends, family and coworkers. Thank you for your time and support.

Sincerely,

John McCain

P.S. Homeownership represents the very core of our American economic system. This is not the time for politics. We must move aggressively to provide relief and stability for all Americans.

Edited by pineda

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This might be a little off-topic (and it might have been mentioned/discussed before), but are both McCain and Obama left-handed.

I was watching a clip from the Today Show (podcast) and saw McCain writing something. Unless the monitor was flipped (or McCain is ambidexterous), he was using his left hand. I know Obama is left-handed (I think?).

Interesting.

Interesting trivia. Bush I and Clinton were both lefties also. Not sure about Reagon.

Left-Handed U.S. Presidents

James A. Garfield (1831-1881) 20th

Herbert Hoover (1874-1964) 31st

Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) 33rd

Gerald Ford (1913- ) 38th

Ronald Reagan (1911 - ) 40th

George H.W. Bush (1924- ) 41st

Bill Clinton (1946- ) 42nd

Left-Handed U.S. Politicos

Senator Bill Bradley, Rhodes scholar, basketball star

McGeorge Bundy, presidential advisor

Benjamin Franklin, statesman/publisher/scientist

Steve Forbes, businessman/publisher

Jean-Marc Froidevaux ?, Suiss politician

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Supreme Court Justice

Senator Daniel Inouye

Anthony Kennedy, Supreme Court Justice

Brigadier Gen. Lee Hsien Loon, Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore

Robert S. McNamara, Secretary of Defense

Col. Oliver North, White House aid

H. Ross Perot, businessman

William Perry, Secretary of Defense

Nelson Rockefeller, Vice President

Senator Hugh Scott

Robert Wagner, New York mayor

Henry Wallace, Vice President

[senator Bob Dole - switched to left due to injury]

You got to admit this is Funny......I'm sure that poor bastard wanted to crawl in a hole and pull it in on himself..........

Here's an update on McCain's plan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27091196/

There you have it. TJones' belief that McCain would buy at firesale prices is shot down by McCain's economic adviser. Experts say this would reward bad decisions by buyers AND lenders. By contrast, the $300 Billion program that already passed in July allows for Fed guarantee of new mortgages, but only if the lender agrees to take a loss on the original loan. And, there is still the problem that it is difficult to separate a single mortgage from the group of mortgages that make up the CDO. In fact, the contract prohibits it.

If buying at face-value, this plan can't work, the Govt. would lose more money. $300k loan, and you are only gonna make the homeowner pay $150-$200k for it ??? Geez, like I said, NEITHER is fit for office.

Well all day today they've argued who's Idea this 300 million dollar mortgage buyout, it really was. Obama says he said it 3 months ago, McCain dropped the bomb the other night in the debate. I really don't give a damn who's idea it was, I've read the bill, the wording is already there, but I can't see this working very successfully unless certain things are done. First off every loan that will be considered for this better be closely audited and scrutinized for one thing, proper documentation. If there is any funny business involved there by either party, tough nookies, liquidate the house, see you later. Or make those houses available for VA loans for our men and women coming home from that godforsaken litter-box, across the drink. If the loans are valid, and everything was done correctly, then try and restructure the loan to help these people stay in their homes. But if there were any professionals that were involved in illegal conduct, that mean appraisers, mortgage brokers, bankers, whoever, jerk their license and get them out of the business. And if at all possible, prosecute them for fraud or theft. So before one penny of that money is spent, their needs to be some guidelines laid down, and there has to be equal enforcement of those guidelines.

Speaking of gaffes:

Or is this a secret call for help?

Poor guy.

Let me say this. Both senators have grueling schedules right now and it is probably just a slip of the tongue from a tired old guy who prolly just wants to sit down, relax with his slippers on in front of the TV, with a cold-one, the remote, and some salty snacks.

I was more interested in the expressions of Palin (and was that his wife?) in the background who seemed like a robots turning from side-to-side with that plastic smile.

This is relevant to our earlier discussion of the debate:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/200...09/1523335.aspx

quote:

From NBC's Michael Levine
I tried to get in touch via Facebook with Oliver Clark, the man who McCain said probably didn't know what Fannie Mae was before the financial crisis (at Tuesday's debate). Apparently others have done the same. He just posted the following on his Facebook page:

How did I feel about Sen. McCain stating

I have a bachelor degree in Political Science from Tennessee State,... I have a Master degree in Legal Studies from Southern Illinois University, a few years in law school, and I am currently pursuing a Master in Public Administration from the University of Memphis.

Ouch, poor guy! I'm guessing he knows more than a little about student loans and debt, too.

Well Senator, I actually did. I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent person. I have a bachelor degree in Political Science from Tennessee State, so I try to keep myself up to date with current affairs. I have a Master degree in Legal Studies from Southern Illinois University, a few years in law school, and I am currently pursuing a Master in Public Administration from the University of Memphis.

Ironically, that is far more education than Senator McCain himself obtained, nearly flunking out of the Naval Academy. Perhaps the good senator was only thinking of his own limited knowledge of economics when he made the statement.

I would definitely have to agree with you there, Red!

The education that the good Senator McCain received seems to have been worlds apart from the one which Senator Obama received.

I know where you're going with that and I agree. In fact, McCain's knowledge of the economy and domestic affairs shows it.

Let me add, if you want to give him a medal for his service, great. I'd vote to give him several. Hell, I'll contribute to a fund to build him a statue. But, his...and apparently your...belief that we owe him the presidency for sitting in a jungle for 5 years could not be more misguided and wrong.

Edited by RedScare

But, his...and apparently your...belief that we owe him the presidency for sitting in a jungle for 5 years could not be more misguided and wrong.

The Mayans required their kings to drag thorn covered vines through piercings in their genitals. I've often thought what a wonderful idea that was. "You want to be president? Sure thing. Just run this barbed wire through the hole in your weenus and you've got the job." It would keep out the light-weights.

All of the HAIF
None of the ads!
HAIF+
Just
$5!