Houston - vacationland!

My sister and her husband are coming to visit this weekend. They have told all their friends that they are going on vacation - to Houston. Needless to say, everyone scoffs - who would vacation in Houston?

I am under pressure to show them a great time. They want to stay in/near the city (no long road trips) and we have 4 days. Thus far, we have planned:

Downtown tunnel/skyscraper tour

Astros game preceded by Flying Saucer visit

Sunday brunch/wandering down Westheimer in the Montrose

Leisurely bike tour of the Heights - stops on 19th street, Onion Creek, etc.

Possibly on the schedule:

Space Center Houston

St. Arnold's brewery tour

Some sort of BBQ stop (what's the place in Acres homes?)

Trip out to Big Thicket NP, stop in Beaumont for seafood?

I'm posting here to see if anyone has any other very uniquely Houston things they'd recommend. These are people who live one of the most gorgeous places in the US (Monterey, CA) so we have to impress them with our urban, swampy coolness, rather than the scenery :rolleyes:

Unless your sister and her husband are huge space geeks, avoid Space Center Houston. I'm a huge space geek and I can barely stand it. I took my daughter when she was 6 and she thought it was pretty lame.

Houston has great restaurants. Take them out for some vietnamese, some pakistani, maybe some tex-mex and some mex-mex.

Oh yeah, try the museums. There's the Pompeii show at the MFA, and if they dig surrealism, definitely hit the Menil.

Yeah, I've been to Space Center Houston, too - and was similarly appalled - I'm trying to discourage them from going, but it's up to them!

They mentioned wanting to try Korean food - so we might head over to the new asian town (strip center?) at Bellaire and BW8. Teotihuacan on Airline is a favorite of ours, so we'll definitely eat there one night. Is it Burn's BBQ that's still around on the north side somewhere?

I didn't get any interest in the musuems though, they're not really into that. I'll have to at least drive them through the area, it's too pretty to miss. Brother in Law has a big interest in trees (hence the possible trip to Big Thicket) so he will definitely appreciate the live oaks along Main.

Well, you know you have to show them the glistening shores of Galveston, then I would head up FM146 to Kemah and watch the boats come in at sunset and COLD BEER to boot. I don't care who you are, that is a fun time and good people watching spot. Take them to the ZOO we have one of the largest and best ones. Take them to an Astros game, not all of this in one day of course. If it's Bar-B-Q you want, check out a little place called Blake's on Jeanetta just off of Westheimer. If you are gonna travel out to Beaumont and cruise around the Big Thicket. Why not just take them to Austin instead ? Perhaps a trip to the Blue Bell Ice Cream plant in Brenham and you can stop at the Chappel Hill meat market in Chappel Hill for lunch, that's good Bar-B-Q also ? I would avoid Beaumont at all costs, unless you lost some money over there or something.

Because he already stated that they are from Monterey, CA? I think any of the beaches, beachtowns and boardwalks there can easily beat Kemah, and they might be sick of beaches already.

I would suggest Old Town Springs for something different. I would not take them to the zoo and definitely not the aquarium, because if they are in CA, they probably visited the San Diego zoo already, which is world class, and so is the Monterey Bay Aquarium in their area.

How about trader village, I would always recommend it if ppl like flea markets and if they have an event going on, like the chilli cookoff, but I am not sure if they have any events this weekend. Wouldn't recommend going if there isn't an event going on. And be warned, its not really a clean uppity kind of place, ie, some folks I know don't like it.

I second that one day trip to Austin or San Antonio, it isn't that long of a drive, and its a nice country drive, it would be better if your visitors were here during the peak of wildflower season, but I still think its a nice drive.

And I would say no to Space Center too, unless they have kids, then the Kids Museum would be awesome.

One crazy suggestion. Show them how inexpensive this place itself, I actually took out of state visitors to open houses and model homes. I showed them a bunch of stuff, from lofts within 610 to cookie cutters in greater Houston. They love it and they all behave like kids in a candy store.

And I always try to plan my drives around university and memorial areas if possible because its looks better. It impossible to avoid all the blight but I always try to lessen the exposure.

And I always try to plan my drives around university and memorial areas if possible because its looks better. It impossible to avoid all the blight but I always try to lessen the exposure.

That reminds me. If you do go out towards Beaumont, go out via SH 225. Show them Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, and Baytown.

This is an especially good trip around dusk or at night.

One crazy suggestion. Show them how inexpensive this place itself, I actually took out of state visitors to open houses and model homes. I showed them a bunch of stuff, from lofts within 610 to cookie cutters in greater Houston. They love it and they all behave like kids in a candy store.

I agree, house hunting will blow their minds (I've done it with people from SoCal, one person actually is in the market to move now). Also, the drives around Rice U. (the village, etc) and memorial (all the way into downtown) will be cool. It's also nice bc for the guys there will be b.ball games on that they can watch in sports bars while the women shop in the village, which can be done before or after herman park. Maybe Rice will have a baseball game (great place to see a ball game with a view of Med. Center) and can also take the rail to midtown to have dinner/visit a winebar..Don't forget the memorial park, museums and various plays.

I'm a huge....geek....

As some of us can attest to, and some others fall into that category...<cough>

One thing you might wanna do is the Allen Parkway/Kirby/River Oaks tour. That's usually a big hit with some of the clients, and since there is a tree fan there, he can probably get a bit of a kick out of some of the species on there.

A tour of the Architecture at the Medical Center might be nice, if they are into it.

If they like nature stuff, I'd recommend going to Brazos Bend to see the gators. Everybody is always impressed by those dudes, and the country part of the ride is actually kind of nice compared to the freeway part.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Open houses are definitely on the agenda - BIL is doing part-time real estate (and will most likely weep at the prices here). I had factored that into the biking tour.

I hadn't thought of Brazos Bend, but that's a great idea.

Now we have to factor in viewing of the Stanley Cup finals to the equation, since the Wings just won :rolleyes: .

They're in their early 30's. Not too much into the arts scene, or anything really fancy. They usually do stuff like hiking on the weekends. They've been working quite a bit lately, so we'd really just like them to relax and have a nice time.

They'll definitely appreciate good food (not a problem in Houston!) and my family get-togethers always involve a good amount of adult beverage consumption (also not a problem!).

In contrast, my husband's parents required a little more refined tour. We took them to the museums and to the opera.

Seeing as how they like to hike, perhaps a walk around Memorial Park or San Antonio's River Walk, or Austin's Hamilton's Pool. VERY COOL ! here's a link.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/hamilton_pool.asp

OOOOOOOOOO ! I was also thinking that you could take them to the New Braunfels area. Go to Gruene Hall and all that, you can't get that in Monterey !

There is always the Orange Show, and the Beer Can house to show out of towners. Christmas House also. Don't forget the Art Car museum.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2225

I am now trying to figure out why I haven't taken my kids to go see this stuff.

They're in their early 30's. Not too much into the arts scene, or anything really fancy. They usually do stuff like hiking on the weekends. They've been working quite a bit lately, so we'd really just like them to relax and have a nice time.

They'll definitely appreciate good food (not a problem in Houston!) and my family get-togethers always involve a good amount of adult beverage consumption (also not a problem!).

i think taking in some good food and drink is a good way to relax and have a nice time for a weekend. the memorial hiking trails and a funky museum (art car or funeral) should be considered.

I'm going to be the wet blanket and say reading this thread once again shows HOUSTON could use more attractions. I find it funny that people have suggested Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Beaumont, because I've had to do the same thing with visitors...end up taking them out of town. I may be slammed for this but I personally think it is shameful that touring vacant homes is even a option for entertaining visitors in the 4th largest city in the nation.

I had the task 2 years ago of having to entertain a few teenagers from Long Beach, who were very excited to see Texas for the first time. I had the hardest time trying to impress them outside of the mall, bowling, and movies, which they all could do at home. We ended up covering San Antonio which they thoroughly enjoyed (though they thought the food in Houston was some of the best they had ever tasted). ^_^

We are so prideful about Kemah, and the Auquarium, our Space Center, and our 7 miles of rail, we don't even realize that those types of things are done much better outside of Houston. When it comes to entertainment and attractions, Houston is underserved and I don't think many of us even realize it.

Houston is about being in the know, don't go to the traps unless you feel ok about them blowing money & time.

Why would you travel to a major city to see/do nature stuff?

Most of these suggestions sound like a bunch of walking and looking, sounds lame, trill tourists wanna feel like a welcomed local not just potential monetary trappings.

Engage their interests and they'll never forget their trip to Houston.

I'd suggest something but I don't know you or your guests. Food is a great ice breaker though ;)

I'd suggest something but I don't know you or your guests.

What do you need to know?

We're a bunch of 30-something white people with a tendancy to drink too much. We fear no cuisine, we like hanging out in low-key establishments. Does that help?

Sunday brunch/wandering down Westheimer in the Montrose

... we have to impress them with our urban, swampy coolness, rather than the scenery :rolleyes:

May I suggest The Avant Garden (411 Westheimer - formerly Helios, The Mausoleum) and Agora (1712 Westheimer)?

They're in their early 30's. Not too much into the arts scene, or anything really fancy.

Where else can they see an Art Car Museum and a Beer Can House?

Houston has great restaurants. Take them out for some vietnamese, some pakistani, maybe some tex-mex and some mex-mex.

Here! Here!

We fear no cuisine

Blue Nile or, if you're feeling profligate, the chef's playground at Catalan, or just a weird-ass pizza from Pink's.

What do you need to know? We're a bunch of 30-something white people with a tendancy to drink too much.

Cocktail walks in the Heights can be very interesting! Dangerous, but interesting.

we like hanging out in low-key establishments. Does that help?

How low-key? Happy Days might be good. Niche says you can find some interesting company there.

I'm going to be the wet blanket and say reading this thread once again shows HOUSTON could use more attractions. I find it funny that people have suggested Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Beaumont, because I've had to do the same thing with visitors...end up taking them out of town. I may be slammed for this but I personally think it is shameful that touring vacant homes is even a option for entertaining visitors in the 4th largest city in the nation.

I had the task 2 years ago of having to entertain a few teenagers from Long Beach, who were very excited to see Texas for the first time. I had the hardest time trying to impress them outside of the mall, bowling, and movies, which they all could do at home. We ended up covering San Antonio which they thoroughly enjoyed (though they thought the food in Houston was some of the best they had ever tasted). ^_^

We are so prideful about Kemah, and the Auquarium, our Space Center, and our 7 miles of rail, we don't even realize that those types of things are done much better outside of Houston. When it comes to entertainment and attractions, Houston is underserved and I don't think many of us even realize it.

I agree! However, I think Houston has attractions that are unique to it, even a vibe if you will, but it's just not been packaged well. You could try a "Southern/swampy/Bayou City Houston tour" or an "international Houston" tour, or a "foods of Houston" tour, or my favorite the "lack of zoning" tour, or maybe a little bit of each of these things. The other problem with Houston attractions is that they are too far away from each other, so I'd try to focus on one or two areas of town. Whether they're into museums or not, you should take them to the Menil and Rothko Chapel. To see a world-class museum smack-dab in the middle of a neighborhood, now that's not something you see every day. Take them to Discovery Green. Sure, it's just a park, but it's a pretty nice park and great for people-watching. I love visiting parks in other cities. Good way to get a feel for its residents. People may scoff, but you could take them on a Ship Channel boat tour! That you'll have to schedule it in advance. For more ideas, there's a Houston Greeters service and Discover Houston Tours.

All above is true. Its our own "pride" that prevents us from progressing too. I love this city as it is and always will be home but we are lacking in every way imaginable. We boast & brag about events & venues that have already done elsewhere years ago. Basically most people that have travelled immensely know where I (we) are coming from. This is just a place to raise a family and work thats it.

Only until now 2008 are we just starting to see a glimmer of hope from the International crowds that are beginning to take notice and set up shop. I could write a book, but that is the truth wether we want to admit it or not. Lets not even get started on the extreme weather and flat terrain, etc. lol :lol:

People may scoff, but you could take them on a Ship Channel boat tour!

Good suggestion. It's really cool to see the ships from all over the world and the massive refineries. However, tix ususally need to be booked pretty far in advance.

Also, there's the National Museum of Funeral History ( http://www.nmfh.org/ ).

What do you need to know?

We're a bunch of 30-something white people with a tendancy to drink too much. We fear no cuisine, we like hanging out in low-key establishments. Does that help?

Sunsets, when are they coming ? If they will be here next Saturday, they can really slum it up and overdrink with us at the HAIF meet !! We will insure they get shown a good time.

Sounds to me like they'd be perfectly happy hanging out in the Village, then exploring Rice U, Hermann Park. the museums and the zoo area. Since they like to hike and have a thing for trees... Then, you could hop a train south to go through TMC and down to the historic Astrodome (from the train). Then, head downtown to Discovery Green and the Historic District and go check out Buffalo Bayou trails. This could all be done in one day and would give them a very urban and sightly view of our town. This plan would give them lots of options and choices as to what they want to scope out. Also, libasions can easily be found on this route.

Better yet, just park at the Fannin south station and call it a day.

Archived