Houston - vacationland!

Visitors are gone - they proclaimed that they had a wonderful time. If anyone is curious, here's what we did over the weekend:

Thursday - dinner at Teotihuacan, guests then went with me to Clear Lake to watch me play hockey. Bar at rink in Clear Lake meant we did not get home until very late.

Friday(late start due to the above) - walked to lunch at Onion Creek, then drove downtown and wandered the tunnels for a bit (BIL asked at first if he needed closed-toed shoes and a hard hat, then realized what kinds of tunnels we have here). We also checked out the view from the Chase tower. This was followed by a stop at the Flying Saucer, then on to the Astros game. Great game, and bonus Friday fireworks.

Saturday - men stayed home to BBQ ribs, ladies biked over to the 19th street area and shopped.

Sunday - Brunch at Baba Yega, heat starting to get to guests, so we decided to go see the new Indiana Jones film at Alamo Drafthouse in West Oaks shopping center. Guests very much enjoyed the "brew-vie" concept. We drove back into town on Richmond and stopped at the Ragin Cajun for some crabs and crawfish. Very well-received. My brother-in-law wanted to see some live music, so we ended up at The Big Easy on Kirby for Zydeco night. That was so much fun! Our guests loved it.

Monday - Drove over to take a look at the Beer Can House, quick River Oaks/Montrose/Museum District/Medical Center drive through and then we went down to Brazos Bend. Saw a bunch of gators, some turtles, all kinds of birds (storks!). Also a popular stop.

So it was a nice, mellow weekend, and I think we got a chance to show our guests some of what makes Houston cool.

THAT is a FULL Memorial Weekend my friend. Sounds like it all total, discounting the amount of BOOZE you doused yourself with, that you only spent about $200 to $300 for you and your guests. That is pretty cheap.

Well, we splurged on field seats for the Astros game, so add another $150 or so to the total, but you're right, it was a pretty cheap weekend overall. Even the movie tickets were matinee price.

Definitely cheaper than when the parents-in-law were here. We put them up in a B&B (there are some instances where a 2 bedroom/1bath bungalow just isn't going to work :P ), and took them to the opera.

Well, we splurged on field seats for the Astros game, so add another $150 or so to the total, but you're right, it was a pretty cheap weekend overall. Even the movie tickets were matinee price.

Definitely cheaper than when the parents-in-law were here. We put them up in a B&B (there are some instances where a 2 bedroom/1bath bungalow just isn't going to work :P ), and took them to the opera.

A little secret about goin to the 'Stros. Buy the nosebleeds for $5, then just hangout at 9 amigos. The bar is right there, and if you really want to grab a seat just ask for a table and get some nosh.

TJones your sig is the best ever!! My brother-in-law is a vegetarian and vet, and I thank him all the time for keeping those animals healthy so that I might eat them one day. I know, tons of people love animals and whatever. So do I, just in a different way.

Archived