Cesar Cazares Mansion At 5006 Fulton St.

• 3 weeks later...
These homes seem to be part of a small sub-genre within the larger McMansion family, and are likely popping up in all Hispanically diverse large cities in the US. "Ethno-McMansions", "McResidencia" or Pimp My House maybe?

I am guessing that most are built by prosperous immigrants, likely, as in N. Main's example (I still assuming here) by construction industry types. I'm also assuming most are "immigrant" built because they usually are in Hispanic neighborhoods and there seems to be little regard for constructing something that is obviously an "over-improvement" for the neighborhood, which might not be a problem if you are planning on living there yourself, in other words, the owners might not be too knowledgeable about American real estate.

Here's one in still-humble Magnolia Park on the East End. Surrounded by beat-up bungalows, this one looks like a Miami Mafia pad to me. I like the little square windows on the left side, probably built into a steel-lined wall and designed for easy machine-gun access in case of a big raid. It started out for lease, now it's for sale. I wonder if the seller realized when he built it that an appraiser will be very hard-pressed to find anything comparable around there which will limit it's worth.

MagParkMcMansion1.jpg

While these homes seem to be ill-placed initially, they could be looked at as possible trend-setters and fine examples of Houston's free-for-all development environment and diverse population. But for now, they still seem like even more pompous versions of the American McMansion.

But so be it. Houston is all about change.

We were riding our bikes by this and started talking to the owner. he wants, get this, 650k for this monstrosity!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danax
We were riding our bikes by this and started talking to the owner. he wants, get this, 650k for this monstrosity!

He's down to $620K. The guy must not have realized when he built this that there's no way this can appraise for anything near what he's asking. There's not a truly comparable sale in the entire city. I would be surprised if he can sell it for half of what he's asking, unless it's a cash sale.

Here's the listing.

He's down to $620K. The guy must not have realized when he built this that there's no way this can appraise for anything near what he's asking. There's not a truly comparable sale in the entire city. I would be surprised if he can sell it for half of what he's asking, unless it's a cash sale.

Here's the listing.

Damn. What was he thinking?

Edited by TheNiche

McMansions are popping up in many unlikely areas. 16/1700 blk of Wellington first blk E of Hardy toll road has a "biggie" on N side of street. I wouldn't consider it a McMansion, but it is quite overbuild for the area. Futher down street is lot covered with bricks, maybe he's a brick layer? I would never win the "yard of the month", but most of those over build for the area do not seem to do

ANY landscaping & soon the place just blends in with the neighborhood. Between 59N & Hardy Toll Rd there are many large new homes being built. Building in these areas with no or little restrictions allows the owners to be able to have parking for vehickles/equipment/etc. with no complaints from neighbors [as many neighbors probably work for the owner of the large new homes]. Much of the new construction is probably neighborhood development projects with lots being acquired from governments for little cost for the lots. Lots are tax foreclosures/etc. There are huge lots in the area, many @ 200' deep with very beautiful mature trees.

Edited by OldHouseLover

McMansions are popping up in many unlikely areas. 16/1700 blk of Wellington first blk E of Hardy toll road has a "biggie" on N side of street. I wouldn't consider it a McMansion, but it is quite overbuild for the area. Futher down street is lot covered with bricks, maybe he's a brick layer? I would never win the "yard of the month", but most of those over build for the area do not seem to do

ANY landscaping & soon the place just blends in with the neighborhood. Between 59N & Hardy Toll Rd there are many large new homes being built. Building in these areas with no or little restrictions allows the owners to be able to have parking for vehickles/equipment/etc. with no complaints from neighbors [as many neighbors probably work for the owner of the large new homes]. Much of the new construction is probably neighborhood development projects with lots being acquired from governments for little cost for the lots. Lots are tax foreclosures/etc. There are huge lots in the area, many @ 200' deep with very beautiful mature trees.

I think the house you are talking about is on E Hardy Toll Road and Gulf Bank. I want to say that is a "true" mansion and I have mentioned it before in this forum. I would try to post pics later.

Honestly it appears to be a very nice house, yes overbuilt for the area however it's not out of the realm of some family's on this side of town. I have met a few family's that live very modestly and yet own house after house after house along with business after business. There are some wealthy individuals living in the "East Side". Would I pay $620k heck no but I'm sure someone will pay a pretty penny to live there and close to downtown. Brave brave agent though.

Another oddity is the commisson to the Buyers Agent is 1.2%. Yes that is still around $7,000 for the agent but in essence she flipped all agents the bird on that one.

Scharpe St Guy

Damn. What was he thinking?

Honestly it appears to be a very nice house, yes overbuilt for the area however it's not out of the realm of some family's on this side of town. I have met a few family's that live very modestly and yet own house after house after house along with business after business. There are some wealthy individuals living in the "East Side". Would I pay $620k heck no but I'm sure someone will pay a pretty penny to live there and close to downtown. Brave brave agent though.

Another oddity is the commisson to the Buyers Agent is 1.2%. Yes that is still around $7,000 for the agent but in essence she flipped all agents the bird on that one.

Scharpe St Guy

I don't think that the time is quite right for McMansions in the East End. That spot on Sherman St. is a particularly poor location for one. Even in the more established Eastwood area, there's a newer home that has the look and feel of a non-Medaterranian McMansion that has been on the market for a good long while despite a drastically-reduced list price.

Brave appraiser. Brave lender.

I finally have pictures of the Mansion on Fulton.

mcmansion0013ci.th.jpg

mcmansion0050gz.th.jpg

mcmansion0064jg.th.jpg

I like McMansions, and I hope to see more of them. People shouldn't have to move out to Katy, CyWorld, Woodlands, or Sugarland to get the sze home they want. If people find McMansion homes within Houston that's as affordable as out in the boondocks, I guarantee more people will not want to leave :)

• 1 year later...

I was in the area for the first time in years just today. This house is located about 3-5 blocks south of 610 on the west side of Fulton street. The area is well established and mostly full of smaller homes built in the 40s to 60s of which most are in poor repair. The house sticks out like crazy because it occupies perhaps 4-8 times the lot size of the other homes in the area.

What is the story behind it? The last time I was on that street was sometime in early 05 so this popped up in the past 2 years. I saw a basketball goal in the side yard and some kids outdoor furniture so it looks as if someone actually lives there and it is not a front for something else.

I'm thinking it is some celebrity or Houston famous level of person.

In my estimation the house is at least 7,000 sq ft.

I wish I had my camera in the car today but I will be going back into the area soon so I can show you what I am talking about. If you know anything about this house do tell.

Thanks!

Now seriously, who would want to move to that area? Most people can't wait to move away. A home that big in an impoverished nabe usually suggests drug dealer. This is still considered the Near OLD North side just feet away from Irvington, Moody Park, etc. Unless some magic genie has transformed the whole territory to an upscale area over night. I can get away with saying this can elaborate at another time. PM :)

I went out on a limb and merged these topics as it's too far fetched to believe that another huge house is now on Fulton, and Marmer's pic is the same as the one in this original topic.

This house is the epitomy of an overbuild for the neighborhood but the area has nowhere to go but up from here, especially with Metrorail nearby, and might actually get a slash and burn style reinvention, minus Lindale, at some point.

I went out on a limb and merged these topics as it's too far fetched to believe that another huge house is now on Fulton, and Marmer's pic is the same as the one in this original topic.

yeah, the yellow gives it away :D

Here's the listing.

oh my - on this one, they're down to 500k

"GREAT CALIFORNIA-LOOKING STUCCO ELEGANT HOME" :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
~ wow ~ Very ugly. What is the need for having such a portico? Does he have 18 wheelers parked there alot?

(Think of theme from Miami Vice while you read on)

What about a heli-pad for copters? The cartel requires certain amenities. All we need is Don Johnson to pull up out of nowhere. :lol:

I'm curious @ 2 houses on the East side of the Hardy Toll Rd. Both face the feeder & are of unusual architecture. One is just North of Parker Rd & the Toll Rd intersection. If memory is correct, it is 3 stories? It is huge & has been under construction for 5+ yrs. It looks to be unoccupied. The other is farther North on the toll road feeder somewhere @ FM 525. It's 3 stories high & very narrow [shot-gun style]. After years under construction, it looks to be completed & occupied. Would be interesting to learn the history behind these houses.

• The title was changed to Mansion At 5006 Fulton St.
  • The title was changed to Cesar Cazares Mansion At 5006 Fulton St.