Heights Plaza: Retail Center At 239 W. 20th St.

expat

I would like to see the Kroger redone to make it look like it did when it was built, and before the "Kroger identity" crap was put on the front. From the inside, it looks like the roof is a typical 50's/60's swooping plane wing shape.

There is a "Space For Lease" sign along Yale. Call the broker on the sign and ask how many square feet are currently available in the center. Also ask if there is the possibility that additional square footage will become available in the near future. If so, how much space will be available?

Take these values and compare them to the overall square footage for the shopping center building (you can get this from HCAD or measure it on Google Earth). The amount of available space should be enough information to tell you whether Kroger is leaving with Walgreens.

I have heard that Kroger will redevelop the entire shopping center to become another Signature Kroger. Once Walgreens moves across the street, look for Kroger to take over the entire property.

And yes, I do realize how close it is to the one on 11th st.

I could see them staying as is but I'm not sure they would want to invest too much more in a store that can't sell beer and wine.

There's the the Boom Boom Room on Yale, and isn't Jus Mac selling beer and wine? I think the problem with trying to determine the wet/dry line by looking at what business are selling alcohol is that there aren't many places that would sell alcohol north of 19th and btw Shepherd and Yale in the first place. But surely the Kroger on 20th would be selling beer and wine now if they could(?). I doubt they would wait for a remodel for that.

It is around 22nd or 23rd Street. If you look at one of the old Heights boundary maps, it will show the exact street, but it is either of those two.

EDIT: Actually, it is 23rd Street, but only on the east side of Yale. The west side is dry over to Shepherd.

Map located in this thread.

It is around 22nd or 23rd Street. If you look at one of the old Heights boundary maps, it will show the exact street, but it is either of those two.

EDIT: Actually, it is 23rd Street, but only on the east side of Yale. The west side is dry over to Shepherd.

http://www.houstonar...map-of-heights/

The city is pretty inconsistent on this, and information on the exact boundaries is hard to come by. The dry area at the time of the 1912 vote extended to the middle of 22nd street East of Yale, and the middle of 26th street west of Yale. Therefore the Boom Boom Room and Fiesta Liquors are wet. See here.

However the associated map doesn't match the legal description, since it goes to 23rd St East of Yale and 610 West of Yale.

Jus' Mac is operating under a private club license even though they appear to be just outside the dry area. It may have just been easier than fighting it, since, in practical terms, there's very little difference. Just have to swipe a drivers license.

http://www.houstonar...map-of-heights/

The map of the Heights really covers the territory of the Houston Heights Association. It's Houston Heights itself that is dry, but the map covers other subdivisions like Heights Annex where you can purchase beer and wine at La Mich at W 14 or Valero at W 16. Houston Heights also extends west of Durham at up around 24th Street, so I would presume that area would be dry, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss something? Is Tommie Vaughn dead? Is the dealership going anywhere anytime soon even if he is?

The only connection I see, is that as far as the wet commercial real estate goes, is that the Ford dealership is sitting on several of the only large contiguous parcels that would be well suited for any number of new shopping centers, restaurants, etc etc along both shepherd and durham. Most of the other property in that area is broken up into pretty small narrow hard to develop tracts or already commercially developed (Merchants Park)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that new Walgreens is SMALL!!! Feels really claustrophobic. Must be a big change for the staff moving from such a large store to the new one.

So, now we wait to see what will take over... I usually ask the Kroger folks when I go in there, but they usually don't have any idea what's going on wrt moving.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Heights Plaza Developments
  • The title was changed to Heights Plaza: Retail Center At 239 W. 20th St.

Archived