Liberal Dinks Welcome In The Woodlands

dave&kelley

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry folks, but the Woodlands is a nice place to live. It ain't for everybody......... but if you want to find the best suburbs then go to a forum like this and find the ones that get the most negative chatter........

people who are pro-urban, pro-city, etc...are always quick to dismiss or downplay the Woodlands and RARELY offer the same dismissive commentary about any of the other gazillion suburbs around Houston that are much much worse than the Woodlands. it's human nature...........i don't rip on guys who my wife has no interest in, but i might get a tad jealous if she cozies up to brad pitt...

and all the people actually steering folks away from the Woodlands to Kingwood (which i noticed a while back) is downright goofy. it's the same type of community except the Woodlands is so much better on so many levels.. if you haven't actually lived there, it's difficult to know what all the place has to offer....

If I had to live in any master-planned suburban community in the greater Houston area, it would definitely be The Woodlands.

That said, I am glad that I don't have to.

What the Woodlands has created is nothing short of amazing. It really does prove that good development can occur. However, it just feels stale to me no matter how nice it all appears on the surface.

if i worked out that way, i would live out in the woodlands. i'm not one for master-planned communities but i always liked the woodlands. the downside about that area as well as any far flung suburb is sitting on the freeway for two hours becuase you have to work in houston somewhere. no thanks.

To me, the problem with The Woodlands is that it's too formal, too planned, too controlled. Too... unreal. There is something artifical about the way everything is screened by trees, the shopping centers are so minimalist and austere, and every house has to have a dozen trees in front of it (I am thinking of Grogan's Mill, where the ideals behind the development are strongest). It's like we are down on ourselves for being human, and have to cover up everything we build like we're ashamed of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the opposite extreme either - which is to tear down everything natural and build over everything in our excess. But I prefer a solution that is a little less... contrived.

To me, the Memorial area gives you all the loveliness of living in a forest, but without the artificial, master-planned feel. I love how some of the streets curve - and some don't! How on some stretches of road you can see houses - and some you can't! How there are open ditches and split-rail fences, because people are classy enough that they can be casual. It's all a lot more adventurous and spontaneous.

I understand what alot of you like about the woodlands and I agree on some level but my major gripe with communites like this is the environmental impact. I think the impact is felt greater on the watersheds south of town but still. Some developments have it right when they purchase a parcel of land and only develop a portion of it. I'd like to say 30% but it is usually more like 70%. Of course most upscale developments end up putting a golf course on the other 30% which is also no good. We need our trees. We need our prairies. We need our wetlands. Its all about air quality, water quality and permiability.

Read about it here:

http://www.urban-nature.org/index.htm

That website also goes into great detail on densification, ie moving people back into the cities and towns. The idea isnt against having places like Sugarland, its just suggesting that sugarland should try to build densly (is that a word?).

The Woodlands is how every suburb should be. If you're going to live in a master planned community, you might as well live in the one that is the most masterfully planned. I love all of the trees, and I like how they have plans to create some kind of urban ambience along that waterway.

lowbrow, perhaps you haven't read the threads or articles on the low environmental impact of the woodlands (compared to other developments). the woodlands has retained more than 25% of the 27,000 acres as parks and recreational, wetlands and greenspace. this does NOT include the forest barriers between each part of the development. the villages and the woodlands' commercial locations were placed to NOT interfere with the natural watershed. there are portions of the woodlands that will never be developed due to the marshland/lowland nature of these areas. even the woodlands' waterway is created to take run-off from the town center (and the water is checked regularly for pollutants).

there are imperfections, the woodlands is not perfect. but please, do not group the woodlands with other developments which have not taken great pains to have a low impact on the environment like the woodlands has.

lowbrow, perhaps you haven't read the threads or articles on the low environmental impact of the woodlands (compared to other developments).  the woodlands has retained more than 25% of the 27,000 acres as parks and recreational, wetlands and greenspace.  this does NOT include the forest barriers between each part of the development.  the villages and the woodlands' commercial locations were placed to NOT interfere with the natural watershed.  there are portions of the woodlands that will never be developed due to the marshland/lowland nature of these areas.  even the woodlands' waterway is created to take run-off from the town center (and the water is checked regularly for pollutants).

there are imperfections, the woodlands is not perfect.  but please, do not group the woodlands with other developments which have not taken great pains to have a low impact on the environment like the woodlands has.

No worries, Bach. I'm not lumping The Woodlands in with the grievous offenders. I wish more communities would strive for what The Woodlands have accomplished. BUT it is still a drop in the bucket. I'm still impressed with George Mitchell and company's efforts towards low impact. I've seen the studies. Required reading.

thanks lowbrow.

the woodlands has inspired me in many ways. my views concerning environmental issues have changed greatly over the years, in no small part, due to admiration of the woodlands.

on another note: if the bayou plans are implemented in houston, we will have accomplished something of great importance and enormity for our region. also, the linear park/parks between the woodlands and kingwood along spring creek are also monumental.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Kinda OT - sorry...

People who are ignorant of the Houston area seem to arrive here with a rabid desire to live in the woodlands. They don't even consider other areas for some reason. Is it because of the Realtors who work these RELO's are pushing the woodlands in rewards for some kickbacks or incentive program? Is it because the woodlands is spending "X" amount of big dollars advertising their community, especially to northeasterners? I see this time and time again, and since I don't watch a lot of television when I'm travelling around the country, I'm not privy to the ad campaigns of such "master-planned communities". I would welcome any comments on this issue, particularly from those in the real estate and advertising communities, as well as anyone who might know the ballpark figures of what the woodlands spends on these types of ads. Is it ignorance or incentives? ;)

I live in The Woodlands. For me, it was a simple choice. We drove around a lot of neighborhoods, and we felt the best there. I was born in The Heights, lived in Timbergrove Manor for 8 years, went to Rice University, lived in the Allen House Apartments near River Oaks, and owned a home in Braes Heights.

So, I think I have some Houston experience. Therefore, "ignorance" is out. I had no "incentives" thrown my way. "Choice" was not one of your options, but that is why I live there. I loved all my old areas, but now that I have a family with small kids, I feel most comfortable in The Woodlands.

Why? A number of reasons that may only be important to me. I can't speak for anyone else.

1) I worked in The Woodlands.

2) My sister lives there. I have another sister in Katy, but that was too far from work.

3) My wife and kids love it.

4) More parks, trails, pools, etc that I have ever been around. We use them daily.

5) I love the trees and how everything is hidden behind them.

6) Commute downtown is not bad compared to other suburbs. I even can get to my new job in the Galleria in 40 minutes if I leave early.

7) Good public schools

8) Did I mention my wife and kids absolutely love it?

If I didn't have kids, I'd be inside the loop probably still in Braes Heights. I love the area. But for me and my current situation, The Woodlands was the choice and I don't regret it at all.

Hope that helps.

jpc

40 minutes to downtown? You must live awfully close to I-45 North for that to be correct, since residents living near Alden Bridge and Sterling Ridge are complaining that it takes 20 minutes just to reach I-45 North. Lucky you!

40 minutes to downtown? You must live awfully close to I-45 North for that to be correct, since residents living near Alden Bridge and Sterling Ridge are complaining that it takes 20 minutes just to reach I-45 North. Lucky you!

It's all about timing. I was very worried when I took the Galleria job, but it has proven to not be a big deal.

I live at Woodlands Parkway and Branch Crossing which is very deep in The Woodlands. It takes about 10 minutes to get to I-45 and 30 to the galleria. I leave at 5am. If I leave closer to 6am, it has taken me 45-50 minutes. The key is being close to the Parkway and timing the lights.

A downtown commute is even closer. It's 23 minutes from the Hardy to Downtown via I-45 on a normal morning (according to 740 5:30 traffic check). Not sure how long parking, etc takes. If I leave past 6:30 - 7, I would take the Hardy and then only see traffic on parts of 610.

But if you try and commute in at 8am, then forget it, you will see traffic no matter where you are coming from.

I used to work in Grogan's Mill which was like 9 miles from my house. At 8:00am it took me 25 minutes to get there. Woodlands Parkway is no picnic at that time. So, adding another 15 minutes and shifting my schedule back a few hours is no big deal.

Now, coming home is harder, but only because of west loop construction. I bank on about 1 hour from my desk (16th floor) to my garage. But a good 20 minutes of that is just getting past I-10, 290 and onto the north loop. I expect that to get easier once the construction is all done.

jpc

I'll just throw my two cents in here. I've lived here in Houston for a year and a half now. From what I've been able to tell, it really is as conservative as you think it would be. The upshot on that (I'm a hardcore liberal/progressive/democrat/whatever) is that this city doesn't seem overtly political. I went to school in a very political city and Houston doesn't seem to fit that mold. I work in an industry (care to guess??) that typically runs more conservative than the state of Utah but it's just a matter of dealing with it. I've developed a thicker skin since moving here and I keep politics out of the office. I wish others around me could do the same, not because of their views, but because I think their level of political discussion is not professional. My guess is that they feel it IS acceptable because they THINK everyone shares their views. I don't. So be it.

But as for the question of where you live, unless you're living downtown or in Montrose, expect it to be very conservative. The good news is that I've found most Houstonians to be very nice and helpful (including in the postings I've read on this site).

To sum up... Texas and Houston are very conservative. There is no denying it or sugarcoating it. But the people are nice. And that makes much more of a difference than any kind of political label.

Believe it or not, I actually know of gay people living in the Woodlands. That is about as liberal as you can get.

I wouldn't worry about being the only liberals. Of course, if you feel completely outnumbered the inner loop is the sanctuary.

Believe it or not, I actually know of gay people living in the Woodlands.  That is about as liberal as you can get.

I wouldn't worry about being the only liberals.  Of course, if you feel completely outnumbered the inner loop is the sanctuary.

The Woodlands is conservative, and I fall into that category. But really politics have never been an issue at all. We all get along in my neighborhood.

We have a lesbian couple with three kids who are among the most active, prominent, and likeable people in our neighborhood. I'm assuming they are not conservative, but honestly it's never come up.

Bottom line for me is that most people here are really nice, no matter how they vote.

That being said, if you are "dinks" and can afford it, I'd probably live inside the loop. That's how we started.

To sum up... Texas and Houston are very conservative.  There is no denying it or sugarcoating it.  But the people are nice.  And that makes much more of a difference than any kind of political label.

Actually...Harris county did vote for Kerry in the last election, plus Bill White is a democrat. But Texas, overall, is a very republican/conservative state. I feel that we are such a friendly state/region of the country (south) because there is not the big hustle and bustle like there is in california and the entire new england area. This translates to people less stressed and more content. We see our neighbors as neighbors not political opposition or anything like that.

Actually...Harris county did vote for Kerry in the last election, plus Bill White is a democrat.  But Texas, overall, is a very republican/conservative state.  I feel that we are such a friendly state/region of the country (south) because there is not the big hustle and bustle like there is in california and the entire new england area.  This translates to people less stressed and more content.  We see our neighbors as neighbors not political opposition or anything like that.

They voted for Kerry, but voted for Bush more:

Bush/Cheney 581,485 54.76%

Kerry/Edwards 473,021 44.55%

http://www.election.co.harris.tx.us/results_for_20041102.htm

But I TOTALLY agree with you on the atmosphere here. It's very non-confrontational.

^^^

Did you actually see the county map results. Kerry lost Harris County big time. I'm gay, generally always vote republican except for Bill White. I'm a staunch conservative too.

I believe politics shouldn't be a focus of daily discussion among co-workers or even neighbors. It it is going to be, people need to be civilized. Everyone has their own opinions and views. Know one side is always right.

I'm more irritated that people make the assumption that the conservative populace is intolerant and hard to deal with. These stereotypes are riduculous. Of course there are bad apples that get the press coverage, but both sides have that.

Times I have spoke politics with my neighbors: Zero

And if you talk politics, I sure don't want you as MY neighbor.

Think about it.

Now if you are still driving around with a "Kerry 2004" or "Bush 2004" sticker, you just need help either way.

It's 2005 folks!

Times I have spoke politics with my neighbors:  Zero

And if you talk politics, I sure don't want you as MY neighbor.

Think about it. 

Now if you are still driving around with a "Kerry 2004" or "Bush 2004" sticker, you just need help either way. 

It's 2005 folks!

Yes, the only bumper sticket / decal I can condone is for your college logo.

Small. Tasteful. Timeless.

Remember the black stickers with white W for Bush with "for president" under it? I keep seeing these, but then under closer inspection the actually say Westbury for the neighborhood.

• 4 months later...
^^^

Did you actually see the county map results.  Kerry lost Harris County big time.  I'm gay, generally always vote republican except for Bill White.  I'm a staunch conservative too.

I believe politics shouldn't be a focus of daily discussion among co-workers or even neighbors.  It it is going to be, people need to be civilized.  Everyone has their own opinions and views.  Know one side is always right.

I'm more irritated that people make the assumption that the conservative populace is intolerant and hard to deal with.  These stereotypes are riduculous.  Of course there are bad apples that get the press coverage, but both sides have that.

Being gay and voting Republican? The party that want's to legislate you out of existence?

How's that working out for you, Bud?

B)

Hi. We are looking to relocate to Houston and we drove around and saw the Woodlands. We think it is a beautiful area and that it would be a great place to live. We like the Heights, too, which is similar to the area we live in in our current city of residence. Unfortunately, the Heights houses are WAY more expensive to get something comparable to what we have. The only neighborhood we really thought was beautiful and affordable to get comparable space was the Woodlands. We just have one concern and would like to get some feedback from people who live there or know the area well. We are registered Democrats. We are not rabid liberals or anything, but we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like the Stepford Wives.  :) We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY non-Republicans in our neighborhood. Moving to TX/Bush Country is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of Republican friends. We just want to live in a place that will appreciate a diversity of opinions.

Any thoughts you can offer would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Kelley & Dave

Kansas City, MO

this may make you feel a little better.  though i'm sure there are a lot of republicans in the woodlands, i would venture to say that the rep/dem ratio there would be no more than 55/45 probably closer.  and in harris county which consists of houston and the greater metro area, more people voted for kerry in 2004. and though we've tried in the last two mayoral races to elect conservatives, registered democrats won both times, the last time Bill White destroyed his conservative opponent.  so, though texas as a whole, is a red state, houston and the the surrounding area is very diverse and more down the middle.  come on down! you'll like it here! 

I'd go with the Heights. The chance for appreciation is better. I'm biased because I live there but the Heights feels more like a neighborhood. Also, take the commute into account. I'd spend a little more money to save time behind the wheel.

As far as being liberal the Heights is probably right behind the Montrose area.