Liberal Dinks Welcome In The Woodlands

dave&kelley

Hi. We are looking to relocate to Houston and we drove around and saw the Woodlands. We think it is a beautiful area and that it would be a great place to live. We like the Heights, too, which is similar to the area we live in in our current city of residence. Unfortunately, the Heights houses are WAY more expensive to get something comparable to what we have. The only neighborhood we really thought was beautiful and affordable to get comparable space was the Woodlands. We just have one concern and would like to get some feedback from people who live there or know the area well. We are registered Democrats. We are not rabid liberals or anything, but we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like the Stepford Wives. :) We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY non-Republicans in our neighborhood. Moving to TX/Bush Country is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of Republican friends. We just want to live in a place that will appreciate a diversity of opinions.

Any thoughts you can offer would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Kelley & Dave

Kansas City, MO

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... Well as one of the liberal Democratically inclined members of this board, welcome to Houston. It's always nice to have a few more non-Republicans around. :-)

As for the Woodlands, the area generally gets stereotyped as a haven for conservative Republican types. Some of the others here who live there can probably tell you more about diversity of opinion in The Woodlands, but from what I've seen, it's pretty heavy on the pro-Bush side of things.

But despite this being Texas and "Bush Country," there is a large and active community here of people who are more on the liberal side. No matter where you live I'm sure you'll be able to find like minded friends in the city without any problem. It does seem that areas closer in do tend to be more liberal and diverse than way out suburbs. However, I am friends with a gay couple in their early 30s who are both very liberal who live in Kingwood and have always felt accepted by their more politically and socially conservative neighbors.

Welcome to Bushland!

If you want, you COULD try out The Woodlands Waterway. It is a growing urban setting (townhomes, lofts, a waterway, etc) that is a break from the usual suburban setting.

Hi. We are looking to relocate to Houston and we drove around and saw the Woodlands. We think it is a beautiful area and that it would be a great place to live. We like the Heights, too, which is similar to the area we live in in our current city of residence. Unfortunately, the Heights houses are WAY more expensive to get something comparable to what we have. The only neighborhood we really thought was beautiful and affordable to get comparable space was the Woodlands. We just have one concern and would like to get some feedback from people who live there or know the area well. We are registered Democrats. We are not rabid liberals or anything, but we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like the Stepford Wives.  :) We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY non-Republicans in our neighborhood. Moving to TX/Bush Country is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of Republican friends. We just want to live in a place that will appreciate a diversity of opinions.

Thanks,

Kelley & Dave

Kansas City, MO

I moved to Houston from Seattle which, as you know, is a pretty liberal and anti-Bush city. I think that, unless you get involved in political discussion, you would probably not see the difference. Keep in mind that Houston is a very diverse city and you would find pretty much any ethnic group. I think that in such a large and diverse city as Houston where so much is going on, political differences become petty matters.

Which neighborhoods did you check out? I agree that Woodlands is a beautiful area. If you like Woodlands, you could also check out Kingwood which is very similar. It seems that you like wooded regions. There are several smaller communities along Spring-Cypress road and Cypresswood drive between 290 and I-45. That entire region is very wooded. If you are looking for a more diverse area, you could consider Sugarland in the southwest or Clear Lake area in the southeast which, I believe, enjoy more ethnic diversity than the north. However, these areas, while nice, do not have as much natural vegetation as in the north, from what I have seen.

I am not sure what's your price range but if you want to live closer to city, you could check out BriarGrove Park and Walnut Bend.

I forgot to ask the key question. Where are you going to work? Obviously, you would want to live closer to the work, other things come later. You would really need to narrow down what you are looking for since otherwise there are so many neighborhoods that you are likely going to be overwhelmed!

Someone else has already mentioned Kingwood but I also wanted to say welcome to Houston from a moderate with a strong Democratic liberal leaning. Yes, you are moving to TX/Bush country, but you won't feel as alone as you may be anticipating. There is no need to be concerned, Houston is large and diverse enough for you guys to be able to find your niche. In fact I think considering this is Texas, I think you will be quite surprised at how many like minded friends you will encounter.

Again, welcome and I hope you find a home and neighborhood to your liking.

I'm sorry, but I cannot let this go by without commenting. Dave&Kelley, your narrow-mindedness and bigotry is really quite astonishing. Try this exercise, replace Republican with black in your post... and maybe you'll see how ridiculous you sound.

Hi. We are looking to relocate to Houston and we drove around and saw the Woodlands. We think it is a beautiful area and that it would be a great place to live. We like the Heights, too, which is similar to the area we live in in our current city of residence. Unfortunately, the Heights houses are WAY more expensive to get something comparable to what we have. The only neighborhood we really thought was beautiful and affordable to get comparable space was the Woodlands. We just have one concern and would like to get some feedback from people who live there or know the area well. We are white. We are not rabid racists or anything, but we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like Detroit. smile.gif We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY whites in our neighborhood. Moving to the south is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of black friends. We just want to live in a place that will appreciate diversity.

Thanks,

Kelley & Dave

Kansas City, MO

One could be forgiven for getting the impression that diversity of opinion is the last thing you are truly interested in.

FWIW, I forget who the writer or publication was, but a liberal writer conducted a little exercise during the election season last year. He dressed in a Kerry t-shirt and hung out in strongly Republican areas, and then dressed in a Bush t-shirt and hung out in strongly Democrat areas. Generally, he was welcomed and treated with respect by in the Republican areas (almost as though they appreciated diversity of opinion) and was treated, let's just say, not so well in the Democrat areas.

Montgomery County (home of The Woodlands) voted this way in 2004.

104,654 BUSH

28,628 KERRY

That's 77.98% to 21.33% That's a bigger margin of defeat than even the state of Utah provided. I know I certainly wouldn't want to live in Utah...

Don't forget, these are the votes from the ENTIRE county, which includes some poor neighborhoods (who usually vote DEM).

SO, TW would probably be from 85-90%.

I'm sorry, but I cannot let this go by without commenting.  Dave&Kelley, your narrow-mindedness and bigotry is really quite astonishing.  Try this exercise, replace Republican with black in your post... and maybe you'll see how ridiculous you sound.

Hi. We are looking to relocate to Houston and we drove around and saw the Woodlands. We think it is a beautiful area and that it would be a great place to live. We like the Heights, too, which is similar to the area we live in in our current city of residence. Unfortunately, the Heights houses are WAY more expensive to get something comparable to what we have. The only neighborhood we really thought was beautiful and affordable to get comparable space was the Woodlands. We just have one concern and would like to get some feedback from people who live there or know the area well. We are white. We are not rabid racists or anything, but we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like Detroit. smile.gif We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY whites in our neighborhood. Moving to the south is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of black friends. We just want to live in a place that will appreciate diversity.

Thanks,

Kelley & Dave

Kansas City, MO

One could be forgiven for getting the impression that diversity of opinion is the last thing you are truly interested in.

FWIW, I forget who the writer or publication was, but a liberal writer conducted a little exercise during the election season last year.  He dressed in a Kerry t-shirt and hung out in strongly Republican areas, and then dressed in a Bush t-shirt and hung out in strongly Democrat areas.  Generally, he was welcomed and treated with respect by in the Republican areas (almost as though they appreciated diversity of opinion) and was treated, let's just say, not so well in the Democrat areas.

Wow. Nothing like taking a perfectly innocent question and turning it into a conspiracy. By the way, I find it ironic you ASSUME we are white. Thanks for

FWIW, I forget who the writer or publication was, but a liberal writer conducted a little exercise during the election season last year.  He dressed in a Kerry t-shirt and hung out in strongly Republican areas, and then dressed in a Bush t-shirt and hung out in strongly Democrat areas.  Generally, he was welcomed and treated with respect by in the Republican areas (almost as though they appreciated diversity of opinion) and was treated, let's just say, not so well in the Democrat areas.

That was pretty good 19514. I really don't know what side I'm on politically, sometimes left, right and middle, but it does seem that, sometimes anyway, when I have made any comments about neighborhoods demographics, affordable housing, ethnic groups etc., and make those comments simply as truths as I see them, and am willing to be open to rebuttals etc., its the left wingers who send the most visious and cowardly replies.

The truth is, the most telling statement of how someone really thinks is not their words, but their actions. For example where they live and where they choose NOT to live speak volumes. Anyone here live in Third Ward, Fifth Ward or Magnolia Park? Why not? Is there something wrong with those areas? By not choosing to live there, what are you saying? But let someone start discussing the people in those places in anyway that appears negative and the "more compassionate and open-minded than thou" come out of the woodwork with their swords ready to slice your head off.

Kelley and Dave I think you're both probably nice people but, the Stepford Wives?

Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback, and your welcome. I really appreciate it. It makes me feel less apprehensive about moving to a strange new place.

One of you asked our price range and where we would be working. Our price range would be around $200-$235K. My husband would be working at the Houston Chronicle, and I would have to find a job yet, in the PR/graphic design area.

As goofy as it seems, trees are really important. Don't have to have a forest, just one big one somewhere in the yard. I'm a big gardener too, so I would like to have a decent size lot to work with. We live in the middle of our urban area in a 100 year old house with a decent-sized yard. I was hoping we'd find something like that in Houston, but it seems way out of our price range. Our current home has about 2,700 sqft and 4 bedrooms, and we only had to pay in the 200s.

As far as space, we were hoping to get at least 3 bedrooms. If that helps give you an idea about what we are looking for, and how much we can spend. If you have any other suggestions, I sure do appreciate them.

Thanks again for the welcome and suggestions.

That was pretty good 19514. I really don't know what side I'm on politically, sometimes left, right and middle, but it does seem that, sometimes anyway, when I have made any comments about neighborhoods demographics, affordable housing, ethnic groups etc., and make those comments simply as truths as I see them, and am willing to be open to rebuttals etc., its the left wingers who send the most visious and cowardly replies.

The truth is, the most telling statement of how someone really thinks is not their words, but their actions. For example where they live and where they choose NOT to live speak volumes. Anyone here live in Third Ward, Fifth Ward or Magnolia Park? Why not? Is there something wrong with those areas? By not choosing to live there, what are you saying? But let someone start discussing the people in those places in anyway that appears negative and the "more compassionate and open-minded than thou" come out of the woodwork with their swords ready to slice your head off.

Kelley and Dave I think you're both probably nice people but, the Stepford Wives?

As far as our willingness to live in the areas you mention, we don't know those areas as we have spent exactly 24 hours in Houston, which is why we reached out on this post as it was the only thing we could find with any objective discussion. Don't think it is fair to attack us for not knowing the city yet. We live in a very diverse area of our city, which also happens to have a lot of crime. Living in the city doesn't scare us, just seems like you have to pay a price premium to live closer in Houston, and we can't afford that. The Stepford Wives was meant as a joke and I'm sorry if you took offense. Like the other guy though, I find it funny you assume we are white. Did it ever occur to you that we weren't, but that we didn't make race the issue??

ummm... yes. :)

The median income is lower, the attained education level is lower, the infrastructure is in bad shape, the port is nearby, railyards are nearby, there is no commercial (retail & dining) growth, the poverty/welfare rate is higher & the crime rate is higher.

If you're cool with all those things, then the above 3 neighborhoods are right up your ally.

Dave & Kelley - You asked what you asked. I wouldn't apologize for anything. PM me and I'll tell you everything you need to know about this Swamptown. I work for HFD and I've seen it all. 

Glen

Ps - I'm conservative, but not Republican.. ;)

Glen:

Thanks for your feedback and your welcome, I would like to hear your take on Houston. And, by the way, we like conservatives, too! :) We are Midwesterners, and we have a lot of both conservative and liberals around us and we like it that way. Makes the dinner table conversations way more interesting.

Kelley

Well, if you do want trees and diversity, maybe you could try to find something inner loop. occasionally, you can get a decent townhome in the lower 200s somewhere near the TMC, downtown, etc.

As far as our willingness to live in the areas you mention, we don't know those areas as we have spent exactly 24 hours in Houston, which is why we reached out on this post as it was the only thing we could find with any objective discussion. Don't think it is fair to attack us for not knowing the city yet. We live in a very diverse area of our city, which also happens to have a lot of crime. Living in the city doesn't scare us, just seems like you have to pay a price premium to live closer in Houston, and we can't afford that. The Stepford Wives was meant as a joke and I'm sorry if you took offense. Like the other guy though, I find it funny you assume we are white. Did it ever occur to you that we weren't, but that we didn't make race the issue??

I actually wasn't referring to you when I mentioned living in those other areas of town, that was my fault for not posting clearly. I was actually just using your post to get something off of my chest from a post in a different topic a few weeks back.

If I could, I'd probably choose the Woodlands due to the trees and the careful planning that always goes in to anything in that neighborhood. I live about 6 miles from Downtown on the East End, where you can still find old houses in old neighborhoods for between 70-250K, but it's not the Woodlands, although Eastwood, with nice homes from pre-1920 and Idylwood,with homes from 1930-1940 are nice.

welcome to the forum dave&kelley! i hope you will stay with our forum despite the attack from houston19514.

being a woodlands resident, i must add my 2 cents. for starters here a few links you might find interesting.

the woodlands

the woodlands online

the villager

the woodlands' residents website

the woodlands' town center

the woodlands has a highly educated populace. the demographics from the most recent census places four of the woodlands/tomball/magnolia zip codes in the top ten zip codes for per capita wealth and education in the houston area. comparable areas in the houston area include champions, memorial, tanglewood and river oaks. many residents of the woodlands work in r&d for genetic research and the energy sector.

the interfaith organization in the woodlands was established to create community and charitable events in order that all religions and beliefs could come together with a common purpose. every village in the woodlands has all income strata represented. when walking/biking/in-line skating on the 100 miles of hike and bike trails or enjoying some of the 5,000 acres of greenspace and parks you encounter millionaires and single mothers in section 8 housing; however, you never really know who is who and everyone is polite and friendly. bush country or not, if you are a woodlands resident or a visitor, republican or democrat, you'll be treated with respect. a large percentage of home buyers in the woodlands are existing residents moving up or simplifying.

if you appreciate greenspace and high standards, if you are active and outgoing (or not), you'll love living here.

make sure and visit the visitor's center off of woodlands parkway, westbound, right before the grogan's mill exit. also, there will be a new home show in april or may. homes are professionally decorated and the proceeds benefit the local high schools (usually).

the drive downtown is approximately 35 minutes using the hardy toll road. it's not a bad drive at all. i frequently come downtown for plays, concerts, brunch, etc.

whatever you choose, welcome to houston!

Wow. Nothing like taking a perfectly innocent question and turning it into a conspiracy. By the way, I find it ironic you ASSUME we are white. Thanks for

pardon me? Did you even read what I wrote? Conspiracy? What in the world are you talking about? And the color of your particular skin never even occurred to me. It could not be less relevant to me, especially for the purposes of this conversation. My post was merely a hypothetical, using your language, but substituting race for political party, in the hopes that you could get an inkling of how ridiculous and bigoted you sounded. I hope you can find a neighborhood you are comfortable in, but from the sounds of your post, an area with a lot of people having opinions different from your own is probably not what you are looking for. Diversity of opinion indeed. :rolleyes:

pardon me?  Did you even read what I wrote?  Conspiracy?  What in the world are you talking about?  And the color of your particular skin never even occurred to me.  It could not be less relevant to me, especially for the purposes of this conversation.  My post was merely a hypothetical, using your language, but substituting race for political party, in the hopes that you could get an inkling of how ridiculous and bigoted you sounded.  I hope you can find a neighborhood you are comfortable in, but from the sounds of your post, an area with a lot of people having opinions different from your own is probably not what you are looking for.  Diversity of opinion indeed. :rolleyes:

Houston19514, I know you got this whole bigotry thing stuck in your head but I just dont see it. Your parody didn't strike me as all that offensive anyway but race and political affiliation are nothing alike and your comparison seems fairly rediculous, imho.

Lowbrow and 27,

Let me start with the definition of bigot: "a narrow-minded, prejudiced person."

Now, I don't know about you, but the following statement is dripping with prejudice to me: "we just want to make sure the Woodlands isn't like the Stepford Wives. smile.gif We are a 30s couple with no kids and we just don't want to be the ONLY non-Republicans in our neighborhood. Moving to TX/Bush Country is scary enough right now. I don't mean this to offend anyone, we have lots of Republican friends."

I compare this to the racial statements, because these are the very things racists have commonly used to excuse their racism (i.e., racial bigotry). So much so that the phrase "I'm not prejudiced, I have black friends" became something of a cliche and a sad joke.

I have moved across country and to different metropolitan areas (and far different from each other than Kansas City is from Houston) and what I can tell you about how I function is this... I have never sent an inquiry to anyone about their area that starts out by insulting the area and basing my questions on prejudices and stereotypes.

Maybe in fact they don't want to live in a place where the deed restrictions are overly restrictive, but that isn't what they asked now, is it?

one other thing, 27, correct me if I'm wrong (and I apologize if my memory is faulty), but weren't you the one who was surprised to learn that George Bush Intercontinental (the 8th largest international gateway in the US) had ANY international flights? And weren't you also surprised to learn recently of the high regard in which Houston's theater district and museum district are held? And you are going to share your deep and intense knowledge of the Houston area with our friends from Kansas City?? ;-)

My husband would be working at the Houston Chronicle

This was the SADDEST part of their whole post. I could care less where they live, but one thing's for sure. If her poor husband is going to be working for the Comical, he better learn to develop a thick skin (no matter what color it may be) and QUICK! Might want to check out www.bloghouston.net for a little intro to how people in Houston feel about the Chronicle. BTW, if I had no kids and was going to be working downtown, I'd check out urban lofts/condos/apartments/etc. Downtown Houston is turning out to be quite an exciting place to be and to live. Good luck with whatever you decide and my condolences to your hubby! :lol:

what a sad welcome to our city, Houston19514. you're ninny pickin' responses are offensive to no end. who gives a rats a** if a newcomer's statement is not worded politically correct? COME ON! i'm really disappointed that our "esteemed" forum has fallen to this low. polite banter is the norm here and you have hit below the belt. please refrain from creating an unpleasant environment for newbies! :mellow:

Uh...How about Timbergrove Manor?

-well-preserved 1950s construction

-big yards (relatively speaking)

-liberal inner-loop neighborhood

-larger houses than The Heights

-easy commute to Downtown

-even easier to Uptown and Montrose areas (where most of the graphics and PR firms are located)

I really love The Woodlands, but if I worked Downtown and had no kids, it wouldn't even register a blip on my radar. If you like the lifestyle up there, do what you can to fully embrace it. Find work in that area and you will scarcely ever need to leave! In many ways, the semi-urban and suburban amenities of The Woodlands trump Houston. I guess it's all in your perspective. My guess is that The Woodlands is probably really close to the experience of a Midwestern city like KC.

If you want a more cosmopolitan and yes, liberal atmosphere, do what you can to live inside the loop. Given your square footage, yard and price requirements, I'd say Timbergrove offers your best bet.

How's that for getting back on topic?