Liberal Dinks Welcome In The Woodlands

dave&kelley

From all your posts, Danax, I have definately gotten a positive impression of the east side of town (minus a few rants i suppose). I would definately have gone and looked in that area if it was convienent to my work at all. I think Lindale and downtown are about the only areas east of 45 that I can feasibly consider.

I think I'll take a drive over there soon though just to see what all the hub-bub us about though. I like to know the lay of the land.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When DINKs have kids, do they just become DIKs? :)

Timbergrove Manor will definitely have the most options for you. That said, there are a few other listings around town in the Inner Loop for under $300,000 that fit your square footage requests.

In Montrose, 3515 Graustark

In Norhill (section of the Heights), 2614 White Oak

That said, if you are a bit more adventurous that most, I would jump at the opportunities that exist in the 77004 zipcode. The housing stock is amazing, the commute times to anywhere you'll probably want to go are nil, you're right next to Hermann Park and the trails along MacGregor... That said, there are definitely areas to avoid but I would be willing to bet you wont find these bargains for too much longer. For an example of the housing stock, check out

3349 Wichita in Southwood just South of TSU campus

2441 Prospect in Riverside Terrace

What is considered enough to re-establish such restrictions?

After you asked that I realized I didn't know the answer. We haven't talked about that since many months ago and I remember that, at that time, there was a proposal at the state level, I think, to change it from 50%, but those who chose not to sign could opt-out, which really wouldn't help protect the neighborhood, in my opinion, to 75% but no one could opt out.

I'll have to ask our civic club president the next time I see her.

From all your posts, Danax, I have definately gotten a positive impression of the east side of town (minus a few rants i suppose). I would definately have gone and looked in that area if it was convienent to my work at all. I think Lindale and downtown are about the only areas east of 45 that I can feasibly consider.

I think I'll  take a drive over there soon though just to see what all the hub-bub us about though. I like to know the lay of the land.

Well, I'm glad to know that I've helped to spread the word a bit about the "unknown half of the loop". Despite some of my complaints, for the most part, I am happy here the way it is.

Well, I'm about as (socially) liberal as it gets, and I just moved to The Woodlands from Germany. I love it here. I just choose to ignore the bible-thumpers and intolerant hypocrites. There's plenty of nice people here, even though I suspect that even they are Republicans, probably bcs they don't know any better.

When it gets too much, you can always escape to Houston, with (gay) Montrose probably the best area to talk to people with less myopic viewpoints than commonly seen in Texas.

Well, I'm about as (socially) liberal as it gets, and I just moved to The Woodlands from Germany. I love it here. I just choose to ignore the bible-thumpers and intolerant hypocrites. There's plenty of nice people here, even though I suspect that even they are Republicans, probably bcs they don't know any better.

When it gets too much, you can always escape to Houston, with (gay) Montrose probably the best area to talk to people with less myopic viewpoints than commonly seen in Texas.

If you just moved here from Germany, what qualifies you to make generalizations about what is "commonly seen" in Texas?

Wow. Who would have thought a German could be so judgmental?

Everyone is "qualified" to give their own opinion, which is what he/she is stating.

There's a difference between an educated, intelligent opinion, and just a regurgitation of the stereotypes of outsiders. A person who recently moved to the Woodlands from a foreign country is not qualified to generalize on what is "common" to Texas.

The argument that someone is qualified to say anything just because they have HAIF membership, tw2ntyse7en, doesn't impress me. I could say that the Shamrock Tower is going to break ground this week, but having no connection with any of the Shamrock people, am I qualified to? No.

Although I don't know the names of many of these neighborhoods I haven't heard anyone mention the Montrose area. It has some great old homes with a lot of mature hardwood trees. It's not the Woodlands but it's close in and the neighborhoods are well taken care of.

Rude, rude, rude, rude, rude. 'Nuff said.

There's a difference between an educated, intelligent opinion, and just a regurgitation of the stereotypes of outsiders.  A person who recently moved to the Woodlands from a foreign country is not qualified to generalize on what is "common" to Texas.

Thank God! Someone with freaking common sense. :)

I think its kind of funny. I thought gay people were proud of Montrose. They sure fly their flags all over the neighborhood on both homes & businesses, more so than Westchase residents & businesses do (I say that because I see at least 1 Westchase flag flying per block around here).

So suddenly someone states the obvious and he's called out. So which is it? Are gay people ashamed to be associated with Montrose, or proud? Make up your minds.

As for opinions, he has one, I have one, you obviously have one. We all scream for ice cream. woo-hoo...

I am confused. To whom are you responding?

I have previously lived in Texas, and my wife is Texan. I do maintain that ignorance about the outside world, to put it differently, is widespread in Texas.

Some of the negative reactions to my initial post only serve to prove my point. Those people conveniently chose to ignore the many positive things I had to say about The Woodlands.

I have previously lived in Texas, and my wife is Texan. I do maintain that ignorance about the outside world, to put it differently, is widespread in Texas.

Some of the negative reactions to my initial post only serve to prove my point. Those people conveniently chose to ignore the many positive things I had to say about The Woodlands.

and that somehow proves they are ignorant about the outside world? :huh:

Kinda OT - sorry...

People who are ignorant of the Houston area seem to arrive here with a rabid desire to live in the woodlands. They don't even consider other areas for some reason. Is it because of the Realtors who work these RELO's are pushing the woodlands in rewards for some kickbacks or incentive program? Is it because the woodlands is spending "X" amount of big dollars advertising their community, especially to northeasterners? I see this time and time again, and since I don't watch a lot of television when I'm travelling around the country, I'm not privy to the ad campaigns of such "master-planned communities". I would welcome any comments on this issue, particularly from those in the real estate and advertising communities, as well as anyone who might know the ballpark figures of what the woodlands spends on these types of ads. Is it ignorance or incentives? ;)

Kinda OT - sorry...

People who are ignorant of the Houston area seem to arrive here with a rabid desire to live in the woodlands. They don't even consider other areas for some reason. Is it because of the Realtors who work these RELO's are pushing the woodlands in rewards for some kickbacks or incentive program? Is it because the woodlands is spending "X" amount of big dollars advertising their community, especially to northeasterners? I see this time and time again, and since I don't watch a lot of television when I'm travelling around the country, I'm not privy to the ad campaigns of such "master-planned communities". I would welcome any comments on this issue, particularly from those in the real estate and advertising communities, as well as anyone who might know the ballpark figures of what the woodlands spends on these types of ads. Is it ignorance or incentives? ;)

Are you implying that if someone wants to live in Woodlands, its only because of ignorance or incentive to realtors? Is it hard to accept that some people do appreciate Woodlands for what it is?

I am rather new in Houston but I wanted to check it out even before I landed here. In the plane, I met a banker who was traveling to Woodlands for his bank to finance millions of dollars of new, multi-year projects. He remarked how impressed he was with the level of commitment he perceived at Woodlands and, indeed, it is hard to ignore that commitment. While we are only talking about having trolley service, Baffalo Bayou improvements and pedestrain-friendly shopping/dining venues in Houston, Woodlands has already implemented these concepts. In the next leg of the flight, the passenger sitting next to me also raved about Woodlands all the way. Now, I highly doubt that Woodlands has implanted secret agents in the planes to spread the word ;)

I'm sorry if I offended you. My query was to find out why people who have chosen to live in the woodlands do not spend a lot of time checking out other areas in Houston, but seem to zero in on the woodlands. How do they find out about the woodlands, and not find out or even bother to check out surrounding areas? I would suspect it's due in part to good marketing techniques, and just wanted to know if this was in any way true. Again, I'm happy for you that you love the woodlands, and didn't mean to step on your toes or your loyal feelings towards the woodlands, or mean in any way to insinuate that there secret agents as you call them implanted anywhere. Anyone else care to comment or just rant? ;)

I gotta tell ya, I am an inner-looper for life, but you really can't fault anyone for taking one look at The Woodlands and saying "I'm done looking before I even start".

The area is friggin beautiful compared to a lot of other master-planned communities in the Houston area. Too bad it's so outrageously far away from the things I do or I would live there myself.

To your reply of calling f95kai rude.

The second part was for H-Town Man concerning opinions.

Er........whuuuuuuuuuut? :blink: Now I am even more confused. Where was I EVER talking about Montrose and gay people? I'm also pretty sure I never said anything about flags, pride, or anything else you mentioned. I was talking about his assumptions/stereotyping Republicans and "bible thumpers"....you know, this comment:

I love it here. I just choose to ignore the bible-thumpers and intolerant hypocrites. There's plenty of nice people here, even though I suspect that even they are Republicans, probably bcs they don't know any better.

Forgive me, but where I come from, that is considered pretty rude.

As for the Woodlands, I have to agree with Heights Guy. I can't fault anyone either for stopping there in their search for neighborhoods. I don't know many places that compare, except maybe Kingwood...and in the past few years that point spread has grown wider. It's not quite the apples-to-apples it used to be thanks to annexation and a few other things, like Friendswood not giving a crap anymore.

I mainly grew up in Kingwood (1977-1990), graduated hs, moved on to college, moved back to Houston, lived in Montrose, the Galleria, and the west side, and I have NEVER seen any place as nice as the Woodlands. They have the suburban concept down, trademarked, copyrighted, and patented. The only reason I would not live there is it is still too danged far away.

I'm sorry if I offended you. My query was to find out why people who have chosen to live in the woodlands do not spend a lot of time checking out other areas in Houston, but seem to zero in on the woodlands. How do they find out about the woodlands, and not find out or even bother to check out surrounding areas? I would suspect it's due in part to good marketing techniques, and just wanted to know if this was in any way true. Again, I'm happy for you that you love the woodlands, and didn't mean to step on your toes or your loyal feelings towards the woodlands, or mean in any way to insinuate that there secret agents as you call them implanted anywhere. Anyone else care to comment or just rant? ;)

Sorry, I didn