McDonald's At 3611 N. Main St.

Mack Tripper

Has anyone seen the Micky D's on N. Main? It looks like something from the L.A. riots or Beirut. Bricks and parts of the building are all over the place, trashcans rolling around in the parking lot. Anyone know what's up?

I went by this morning too and thought the place got ransacked or something.. why would someone break all the windows and some bricks if they're planning on re-building? Wouldn't those come down in the normal course of a tear-down?

I thought they just closed for a good painting and cleaning.. jeez.

I went by this morning too and thought the place got ransacked or something.. why would someone break all the windows and some bricks if they're planning on re-building? Wouldn't those come down in the normal course of a tear-down?

I thought they just closed for a good painting and cleaning.. jeez.

I'd assume the homeless have moved in and the hoodlums have broken out the windows for the time being. It's a full demo and rebuild...they better get it cleaned up and secured before they start the building or this will happen a few times after it's opened.

I'd have to say this would be one of the worst places to put a 'nice' Mcd's as the local street dwellers are going to dirty it up in no time...

I'd assume the homeless have moved in and the hoodlums have broken out the windows for the time being. It's a full demo and rebuild...they better get it cleaned up and secured before they start the building or this will happen a few times after it's opened.

I'd have to say this would be one of the worst places to put a 'nice' Mcd's as the local street dwellers are going to dirty it up in no time...

Chances are you would be assuming wrong. Recycling of building materials is big business. Assuming that the building is to be demolished and replaced, it is not uncommon to gut the building of appliances, wiring and windows and doors prior to demolishing the building. That is what appears to be happening here, though I do not know if the building is to be demolished and rebuilt, or merely gutted and renovated.

They must be fairly certain that TxDOT is abandoning it's original I-45 expansion plans, as those plans clearly showed that TxDOT would take the McDonald's via eminent domain. Or, McD's figures that with the renovations they'll be able to increase the revenues at that location enough to significantly offset this investment prior to the TxDOT dozers showing up 5-7 years from now.

Chances are you would be assuming wrong. Recycling of building materials is big business. Assuming that the building is to be demolished and replaced, it is not uncommon to gut the building of appliances, wiring and windows and doors prior to demolishing the building. That is what appears to be happening here, though I do not know if the building is to be demolished and rebuilt, or merely gutted and renovated.

To me it doesn't look like they're going to use the windows again, seeing as the glass is spread around the sidewalk and the parking lot. But I'm not familiar with recycling either. ;)

It always seemed to be a busy location... I can't imagine that the location would just be abandoned or left to rot ..

houstonmacbro: yeah.. the location on I45 and N. Main, southwest corner.

I've been to the McDonalds on Harrisburg and i have to say it is really nice . Its different but i liked it.

I drive past North Main and I-45 everyday and this morning it looked like they torn down the whole entire building down.

By the way the neighborhood is not that bad.

Not only got rid of the building, but all the concrete in the parking lot.. I guess they're starting from dirt.. at least the palm trees were saved.. perhaps they'll get moved?

South/West of N. Main is not a bad part of town.. (Woodland Heights) It's the North/East where you'd have to take some language classes to go shopping there.

Not only got rid of the building, but all the concrete in the parking lot.. I guess they're starting from dirt.. at least the palm trees were saved.. perhaps they'll get moved?

South/West of N. Main is not a bad part of town.. (Woodland Heights) It's the North/East where you'd have to take some language classes to go shopping there.

I've heard that McDonald's is one of the biggest property owners in the country (not sure if that is correct) and with many of their buildings approaching 'old age' it makes sense that they would either tear down or renovate.

Also, I read something awhile back that the new restaurant interiors are supposed to be more S/Bux-like ... is that how the new one looks over in the East End?

• 2 weeks later...

THe way the building was positioned on the property was not the easiest for getting in or out of the parking lot. The parking lot was also not configured well as faar as maximizing space. I am betting on a full redo, including repositioning the new building on the lot.

• 1 month later...
Another McDonald's on the corner of W 43rd and US 290 has also been completely town down and looks to be starting from scratch. Is McDonald's undergoing a change in their format? New look? New menu?

Well, I don't follow the fast food industry ;) but I have heard little things in the press over the last couple years about McDs having to up the ante to compete with places like Starbucks. I didn't know so much of McD's revenue was driven by breakfast, but apparently it is. I know nothing cures a good hangover like an egg mcmuffin, diet coke and 2 hashbrowns. :lol:

I know nothing cures a good hangover like an egg mcmuffin, diet coke and 2 hashbrowns. :lol:

:P No way: 1 picadillo with the super hot green sauce, 1 chorizo con papas, and full strength coke!

I've been following the McDs stories that seep out about them going head to head with Starbucks. They can compete on price, that's for sure. Make the service look shiny with 'baristas', serve a higher grade of coffee and related drinks, but not as good as The Bux, at a lower price and it could work. I see plenty of commuters coming into my building in the morning with a McD bag and a Starbucks cup.

I often wonder if Red is my next husband. :lol:
Some would wonder if Red could be anyone's husband. :D

:lol::mellow::lol:

You guys kill me.

Reminds me of something I heard at a wedding a few years ago.

Guest:"not a bad little wedding."

Mother of groom:"His next one will be better."

:lol::mellow::lol:

You guys kill me.

Reminds me of something I heard at a wedding a few years ago.

Guest:"not a bad little wedding."

Mother of groom:"His next one will be better."

You are so right. Seriously, I was contemplating husband number 2 a few years ago, and someone told me a story like that. Let's just say it cost me too much money the first time around. Besides, always moving their stuff in and out, what a pain!! :lol: I am forever grateful to gay couples who have popularized living- together legal arrangements. They work great for straight couples who don't marry.