New Metro Rail Cars

roadrunner

If it was that huge of a deal the new model of trains could have a slightly longer center segment for the riders with bikes and wheelchairs

as for the streamlining I think rounded fronts are just a shell stuck onto the main rectangular train body. I don't think they limit the capacity, and they might function as a crash safety feature.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as for the streamlining I think rounded fronts are just a shell stuck onto the main rectangular train body. I don't think they limit the capacity.

They aren't just a shell. The front section is where the operator sits, and the whole thing is curved. The bottom sticks out farther than it needs to, the top slopes back farther than it needs to. If the front section was close to square, less of the total train length would be consumed by it and more passenger space would be available.

3_Houston.jpg

okay, so the where the operator sits sticks out? so what? wouldn't that still increase the amount of room for passengers in the back, while the wasted space to the sides and above the driver's head could be used for appearance?

I don't understand your question. If the front of the train was square, then the space for the operator wouldn't "stick out". It could be farther forward in the train, leaving more space behind it for passengers. Imagine drawing a line from the bottom front edge of the current train straight up. Move the operator forward into the space that is currently in front of the glass. See?

How many extra passengers would that be though?

Zero. Memebag seems to be having a little trouble with geometry. The operator already sits in the space being discussed. The only thing added by Memebag's flat-front proposal would be a vertical (rather than inclined) windshield and dead air space in front of the operator.

Zero. Memebag seems to be having a little trouble with geometry. The operator already sits in the space being discussed. The only thing added by Memebag's flat-front proposal would be a vertical (rather than inclined) windshield and dead air space in front of the operator.

Look at the train again. The operator's position is pushed back by the curve. If the front was flat, the operator could be moved forward.

You realize you are only talking about a foot or so difference on each end, right? On a train that has a capacity of 200 people, your redesign might increase it to 208. In fact, the latest incarnation of the Siemens S70 has been reconfigured to hold 236 people.

RAHG! ENOUGH LOGIC! I HATE FAKE AERODYNAMICS!!! GIVE ME BACK THAT FOOT!!!!

Sorry. Yes, you're probably right. But I still hates it.

Hooray for fake aerodynamics! Say no to Moving Shoeboxes!

:D

I've dealt with shoeboxes, but never moving ones. Do they do it on their own or do you need to upgrade them?

Seriously though, are we talking about 8 sitting people or standing people, or a combination of both. If we're just dealing 8 sitting people, you can squeeze an additional 4-10 people in the space for standing in the isle, depending how cozy they'd be

You realize you are only talking about a foot or so difference on each end, right? On a train that has a capacity of 200 people, your redesign might increase it to 208. In fact, the latest incarnation of the Siemens S70 has been reconfigured to hold 236 people.

Even IF you could actually add a foot of space at each end (and I believe a careful look at the cars will prove that NOT to be the case), it seems like you'd be packing them awfully tight to squeeze an addition 8 people into that additional space. ;-)

Pack 'em in! It doesn't get more 'urban' than being crammed into a car, with the back of your head in some skeevy guy's armpit and a 300 pound woman with 200 pounds of shopping bags cutting off your air. Or getting the elevator gaze from sweaty pervs as they inch closer to you.

We could reserve the tighter cars for folks craving the experience, like the front car on the rollercoaster. Maybe even charge a higher fare and offer a front- of- the- line program for curious day-trippers from the Woodlands. :P

For some reason there didn't seem to be as many 300 pound women in San Francisco as here in Houston. Maybe since we have so many overweight people, we need to design our rail cars accordingly. :)

I actually never felt overly crowded on the public transportation in San Francisco, and it seemed to be well used. Now Montreal is another story. A few times the Metro was so crowded we had to wait until the next train. And again, not as many fat people...

I actually never felt overly crowded on the public transportation in San Francisco, and it seemed to be well used.

Wow. Did you ever ride a bus through Chinatown during a business day? I did a few times, and it was packed. People were prying open the rear doors and piling in without paying. It was painful.

The only day I was there in the afternoon was Monday and I spent most of my time in and around the Mission District that day. Sunday I was downtown more, as well as Tuesday evening. So I guess I wasn't there at the right time, and I believe you that it can get crowded. But the 300 pound woman thing is probably less likely to be an issue.

Archived