New Metro Rail Cars

roadrunner

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like fake aerodynamics. These trains never move fast enough for drag to be a significant issue, so making them "sleek" is silly. Make them square and fill as much space inside as possible.

I feel you on that, but if they make the front streamlined, does that really detract from capacity that much? Even if it's unnecessary, from aesthetic perspective, I think they just look better. Function and capacity are important of course, but visual appeal has a role to play as well.

There's actually a reason why those raised areas exist at each end of the car -- that's where the trucks, or powered wheels that drive the LRV, are located. This is simply a factor of having a low-floor LRV, and all low-floor light rail cars are going to have this. You don't see it in some cities because they use high floor cars, which require going up stairs as you board the car. Houston went with low-floor LRVs because boarding is faster and more convenient for disabled passengers, who would have to use a ramp or lift to access a high-floor LRV. The raised areas at the ends of the cars don't really reduce usable space that much

I never knew that. I think I prefer not going up stairs.

I feel you on that, but if they make the front streamlined, does that really detract from capacity that much?

How much is "that much", and why should we waste any capacity on aerodynamics that can never be used?

Even if it's unnecessary, from aesthetic perspective, I think they just look better. Function and capacity are important of course, but visual appeal has a role to play as well.

It doesn't look better to me. It's like putting those gaudy wings on the back of Honda Civics. It's a fetish.

How much is "that much", and why should we waste any capacity on aerodynamics that can never be used?

It doesn't look better to me. It's like putting those gaudy wings on the back of Honda Civics. It's a fetish.

moo. You say fetish, I say to-mah-to. I don't know how much is "that much". Perhaps it's between "a little" and "some". Why should we waste visual appeal to provide a little more capacity? Really it's just a matter of personal taste, I guess.

:)

We're all entitled to our opinion. After all, isn't it you who prefers (or at least likes) the way that many building downtown are "pedestrian-unfriendly" and have sour feelings on Houstonians looking at this place as more than a mosquito-infested, toxic waste dump?

We're all entitled to our opinion. After all, isn't it you who prefers (or at least likes) the way that many building downtown are "pedestrian-unfriendly" and have sour feelings on Houstonians looking at this place as more than a mosquito-infested, toxic waste dump?

That isn't what I said.

1150284252.jpg

Here's another Minneapolis shot.

I know there's a lot to be said for being able to change the cars from one line to the other, but please Houston, don't get sucked into this trap.

In Chicago every rail car on the El system can run on every other line. That means that new lines built in the 1980's are at the mercy of engineering standards of the 1880's when the oldest tunnels and turns were built. So the cars are shorter, can accomodate fewer people than other subway cars, are noisier and have unusual bits of expensive engineering (like a special pump that sprays the wheels with oil on tight turns so the bogies don't climb out of the track).

There's no way to predict what a city's long-term transit needs are gong to be. Make each of your rail lines as advanced as possible so you only have to upgrade them one at a time.

They might be. They do appear taller than ours.

800px-Hiawatha_Line_46th_Street_Station.jpg

I've ridden the system in Minneapolis several times, and the cars don't really seem any larger than Houston's. One thing I hate about them is they have the most annoying alert that the doors are about to close.

I've ridden the system in Minneapolis several times, and the cars don't really seem any larger than Houston's. One thing I hate about them is they have the most annoying alert that the doors are about to close.

I think they oughta be Red or Blue...METRO colors...

And they need to put cow catchers on them for the idiots who keep driving in front of em...

I think they oughta be Red or Blue...METRO colors...

And they need to put cow catchers on them for the idiots who keep driving in front of em...

Sadly, nothing will ever stop people from being stupid in front of trains. Even in Chicago, Metra trains (heavy rail) squash a pedestrian or obliterate an SUV every couple of weeks. People just drive around the crossing arms. At least with a heavy rail collision there's a 90% chance they'll never do it again.

There is some really good information about rail at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail . Know I know what I wanted Houston's light rail to be like. There is a name for it, its called Light metro. Light metro is a light rail system that functions like any other full size metro system, except its cheaper.

The reason METRO is building Houston's rail on streets is because its the cheapest way to build it. To me that doesn't make since because the system runs slower, slows traffic and can't hold as many people. If they where looking towards the future they would upgrade there plans to a more urban rail system that would accommodate Houston's future needs.

Take a look at part of the most expensive light rail system being built in America:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stovak/1271081990/

Here is not only the rail style and length that I suggest for METRO Rail, But also the type of stations I would suggest for certain stations such as ones in uptown. This is because of passable weather conditions. The stations that METRO currently have are similar to bus stops and potential riders in that area would not ride if their shopping bags could get wet up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:San_Die...n_Line_SDSU.jpg

CityKid, if you can find areas in inner-Houston where the rail would not run on city street, please tell it here. Besides being elevated or in a subway, there are not many areas inside the loop where the light rail would be in its own right of way.

And that last station is in San Diego's little tunnel. METRO's stations are no different than the light rail stations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Charlotte, and gasp...DALLAS!

And that last station is in San Diego's little tunnel. METRO's stations are no different than the light rail stations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Charlotte, and gasp...DALLAS!

The vast majority of San Diego's light rail stations look just like the ones here in Houston. And let's not forget Portland either, where it rains more days a year than it does in Houston, yet the light rail stations have no more shelter than ours.

Anyway, you want to talk about being out in the elements, with the exception of two stops on the Minneapolis system (MSP Airport, which is underground, and Mall of America, which is in the mall's parking garage), all of their system's stations are just as exposed to the elements as Houston's. That means when it's snowing and the temperature is well below 0

Let's not forget that a number of chicago's stations are about 20 feet up in the air, which makes it brutal during their winters.

I found myself standing under a heatlamp with quite a few other's while waiting for a ride back to the Hotel.

The vast majority of San Diego's light rail stations look just like the ones here in Houston. And let's not forget Portland either, where it rains more days a year than it does in Houston, yet the light rail stations have no more shelter than ours.

Anyway, you want to talk about being out in the elements, with the exception of two stops on the Minneapolis system (MSP Airport, which is underground, and Mall of America, which is in the mall's parking garage), all of their system's stations are just as exposed to the elements as Houston's. That means when it's snowing and the temperature is well below 0

I stumbled across this while I was doing some casual surfing and found this on the Metro webblog section.

It's interesting, but I hope they're not pushing for EXTERIOR bike racks, but just the ones that are shown on this page.

I'd have to agree with the blog that the current LRT vehicles are not that well designed for easy wheelchair or bike use.

I'd have to agree with the blog that the current LRT vehicles are not that well designed for easy wheelchair or bike use.

and improvement could be made by doing what differently? i've never seen anyone put their bike on the train in such a contorted manner. most normal people just walk their bikes on.

It looks to me like that train in the photo has some special bike rack built into it, and it appears not to be a Houston train. That is why you've never seen anybody put their bike on the train in such a contorted manner.

I am a normal person and I just walk my bike on, but it usually gets in the way. Especially when the doors are opening on one side and I put my bike away from the doors and then the doors open on the other side. Even on the weekend the train seems to be crowded enough for my bike to get in the way. That's why some sort of rack like that could be nice. The bike would at least be away from the doors.

I am a normal person and I just walk my bike on, but it usually gets in the way. Especially when the doors are opening on one side and I put my bike away from the doors and then the doors open on the other side.
the only stations where the doors open other on the other sides, at times, are the two end stations. as the train pulls up to the station, as a physics graduate student i'd hope you could determine which door will be opening based on the orientation of the train.

I am pretty sure that Memorial Hermann Hospital and Museum District open on different sides and moving the bike from one side to the other is difficult if anybody is standing or sitting near the door. I bumped my bike into a lady last time I did it and she didn't look very happy. Also coming from Preston into the Museum District there is some point where the doors open on the opposite side. But let's not pick at the details of which side the doors open at which station. It's not really important.

All I'm saying is it would be nice to get my bike out of people's way when I am on the train. I get your point that it isn't a necessity to install racks, but it would sure be nice.

I am pretty sure that Memorial Hermann Hospital and Museum District open on different sides and moving the bike from one side to the other is difficult if anybody is standing or sitting near the door. I bumped my bike into a lady last time I did it and she didn't look very happy. Also coming from Preston into the Museum District there is some point where the doors open on the opposite side. But let's not pick at the details of which side the doors open at which station. It's not really important.

All I'm saying is it would be nice to get my bike out of people's way when I am on the train. I get your point that it isn't a necessity to install racks, but it would sure be nice.

ah i will give you the northbound museum district, forgot that one. but it appears you know which door will open and you have to adjust accordingly. if someone "bumped" into me i probably would expect a sorry at the minimum.

having racks unfortunately slows down travel times unless they are easy to use. i know i slow down the bus by a minute or so when putting on/removing my bike. having a dedicated rack inside will take up chair space, which would be more useful.

Archived