New Metro Rail Cars

roadrunner

The Chronicle article describing Metro's decision to implement light rail on all of the lines mentioned that they would also be purchasing new cars from a different manufacturer. So what kind of car are you all hoping for? Personally, I'd like something red. I think it looks classy, old fashioned, and just brings out some color in the city. I really just want more color than the blah grey we have now. I really like San Diego's.

2007sandiego232om4.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our cars should be orange, which would recall both the Dynamo, and old-school Astros.

It would be way more cool if, like the Dutch, there were little carts around with herring sandwiches, good fries and cold beer.

Orange and white were the colors of the old Houston Transit Co. buses in the 40s-50-60s. Anybody know what the colors of the old street cars and the Interurban were? I don't think I've ever seen color pictures.

Actually I agree with the suggestion of different colors, or just different colored trim for each line, but subtle, not loud.

Instead of herring, chili stands or taco stands, and cold beer.

I would hate to have them all red. Why not get cars and paint the color of the line they will be running on, on them?

And not be able to switch cars to different lines when the demand merits it ? gee, great idea.

People aren't that clueless. You can have a LED sign on the fronts and side that say what color line it is.... ooo.. and the signs can change what they say, and probably even the color letters they use... that way you don't have cars stuck forever using just one line.

Der !!

And not be able to switch cars to different lines when the demand merits it ? gee, great idea.

As long as the cars do not extend longer than the shortest block in which they stop, they could be lengthened without problems. I suggested in another thread that two ways to accomplish it would be to add a short (up to 60 feet) middle car to two long (91 feet) cars, or to purchase new cars no more than 80 feet long, which would allow 3 cars to fit in a 250 foot downtown block. They could also purchase 120 foot cars, where two in tandem would fit.

People aren't that clueless. You can have a LED sign on the fronts and side that say what color line it is.... ooo.. and the signs can change what they say, and probably even the color letters they use... that way you don't have cars stuck forever using just one line.

Der !!

Well, that was quite a rude reply to say the least. I think it's a good idea. Different colored trains running throughout the city would be a more vibrant choice that what we currently have.

I wouldn't want to see all red unless they were a more traditional design.

Once issue with different colored trains on different lines might come up if trains are able tot ravel from one line to another (for example from the University Line to the Uptown Line).

Maybe they could have some sort of color changing LEDs on them! :)

Der !!

It was early...didn't think that all the way through. Thanks for the rudeness though!

I think the color changing LED's are the best idea. I hope METRO orders some good looking trains though. I don't want ours to be as ugly as the ones in Dallas or Phoenix (which will have over 20 miles of light rail by 2010).

I would not mind if the color changed, but I really like the form of the cars. I like how sleek they are compared to the boxier ones in the pictures. Although I would not mind if the color changed, I would honestly be fine if they went back to Siemens and let them produce the rest of the cars as they are now. I really like the look of the rail cars as they are. They look futuriffic. The less-streamlined ones look clunky and old to me, regardless of color.

I like the cars as well, but they just don't have the capacity that is needed.

If you look at the current two car configuration, you can see how much dead space is in the middle. If they can keep the same overall design while adding capacity, then that would be awesome.

I would not mind if the color changed, but I really like the form of the cars. I like how sleek they are compared to the boxier ones in the pictures.

I don't like fake aerodynamics. These trains never move fast enough for drag to be a significant issue, so making them "sleek" is silly. Make them square and fill as much space inside as possible.

I like the cars as well, but they just don't have the capacity that is needed.

If you look at the current two car configuration, you can see how much dead space is in the middle. If they can keep the same overall design while adding capacity, then that would be awesome.

They need to go to more of a subway car format. Having the raised areas on each end with benches facing each way doesn't really utilize space well. They need bars for people to hold onto throughout the car so people can stand. As crowded as they are now, people are pretty much surfing in between aisles on the Red Line during rush hour.

The Chronicle article describing Metro's decision to implement light rail on all of the lines mentioned that they would also be purchasing new cars from a different manufacturer. So what kind of car are you all hoping for? Personally, I'd like something red. I think it looks classy, old fashioned, and just brings out some color in the city. I really just want more color than the blah grey we have now. I really like San Diego's.

2007sandiego232om4.jpg

Personally... I would like the new cars to be the same as the ones we are using now on the Main Street line... that's just me, though. ^_^

call me weird but I would like to see advertisements on the metro rail and buses...I kinda think of it as being synonymous with big-city life. (Plus the added income could help pay for new bus stops or something of that nature)

Yeah I would like this, too. I'm surprised there aren't any ads inside the cars, either. In most big cities they are everywhere inside the subway.

They need to go to more of a subway car format. Having the raised areas on each end with benches facing each way doesn't really utilize space well. They need bars for people to hold onto throughout the car so people can stand. As crowded as they are now, people are pretty much surfing in between aisles on the Red Line during rush hour.

There's actually a reason why those raised areas exist at each end of the car -- that's where the trucks, or powered wheels that drive the LRV, are located. This is simply a factor of having a low-floor LRV, and all low-floor light rail cars are going to have this. You don't see it in some cities because they use high floor cars, which require going up stairs as you board the car. Houston went with low-floor LRVs because boarding is faster and more convenient for disabled passengers, who would have to use a ramp or lift to access a high-floor LRV. The raised areas at the ends of the cars don't really reduce usable space that much

Archived