Anything You Want

gwilson

Random question that I don't feel merits an entire thread.

What's up with the SW corner of West Alabama and Dunlavy

Seems like a pretty desirable location that just has abandoned apartments.

How long have they been abandoned?

Has there ever been a whiff of something going in at this location?

If not, why not?

Yep - not abandoned - that's Wilshire Village:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2223

very cool place, just needs some TLC

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep - not abandoned - that's Wilshire Village:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2223

very cool place, just needs some TLC

Yes.. Just found the HAIF link and the Chron article from 2005.

So to answer my question...

The complex is Not quite dead yet though it has been in a sorry state for years. I wonder what the occupancy rate is right now.

And to answer my other question - There was a whiff of a replacement project.. it is dead for now.

I agree, it is a cool looking place in a good location.. but it also looks mostly abandoned and therefore not the most safe looking place.

As for needing TLC.. If I'm reading articles from 3 years ago talking about replacement, and that article is mentioning that its rundown and abandoned looking..... and nothing has changed in 3 years... I think we can safely assume TLC isn't gonna happen.

Yes.. Just found the HAIF link and the Chron article from 2005.

So to answer my question...

The complex is Not quite dead yet though it has been in a sorry state for years. I wonder what the occupancy rate is right now.

And to answer my other question - There was a whiff of a replacement project.. it is dead for now.

I agree, it is a cool looking place in a good location.. but it also looks mostly abandoned and therefore not safe.

the occupancy rate is low because the owner wants it that way. it is difficult to get in but the people i know who live there say they feel safe because the owner is so picky on who he allows in. no doubt it's just a matter of time before the wrecking ball comes in.

the occupancy rate is low because the owner wants it that way. it is difficult to get in but the people i know who live there say they feel safe because the owner is so picky on who he allows in. no doubt it's just a matter of time before the wrecking ball comes in.

I'm looking to move within walking distance of Richmond or Alabama, so thats how I really noticed them beyond normal driveby glances.

And you're right about it being hard to get into.. I cant find a website, an apt guide listing, an apt rating, anything on it that would help someone interested in it.

Also.. he pays about 200k a year in taxes... How does he stay afloat with such low occupancy. One would think he has to either make a decision to restore it/ replace it, or sell it sooner rather than later. ...... course, people apparently thought the same 3 yrs ago too.

I'm looking to move within walking distance of Richmond or Alabama, so thats how I really noticed them beyond normal driveby glances.

And you're right about it being hard to get into.. I cant find a website, an apt guide listing, an apt rating, anything on it that would help someone interested in it.

Also.. he pays about 200k a year in taxes... How does he stay afloat with such low occupancy. One would think he has to either make a decision to restore it/ replace it, or sell it sooner rather than later. ...... course, people apparently thought the same 3 yrs ago too.

you have to know someone who lives there to get in. he had to be comfortable with you before you can get in. there's no lease or anything so you could be asked to leave at a moment's notice. i believe he had filed for bankruptcy.

a friend who lives in the area heard a rumor fairly recently that he had passed but have no idea whether that is true.

Has anyone had those new flatbread sandwhiches at quiznos? They look very tasty on tv. My friend said they were pretty small though. What do yall think?

I decided to try a couple a few weeks ago and I wasn't really impressed, it kept falling apart on me. But I would recommend if you're only a LITTLE hungry and want something to tide you over until your next meal. Yes. they are THAT tiny. Think of it as a "healthy" snickers.

I decided to try a couple a few weeks ago and I wasn't really impressed, it kept falling apart on me. But I would recommend if you're only a LITTLE hungry and want something to tide you over until your next meal. Yes. they are THAT tiny. Think of it as a "healthy" snickers.

Wow, thanks. Either I didn't pay attention close enough to their size on tv or they made them look deceptively bigger.

They're called Sammy's. I thought that the Italian one was really good. One won't cut it though; get two.

It's funny, I had mine at Home Depot on the West Loop. They've got a Quizno's shack out front.

Has anyone had those new flatbread sandwhiches at quiznos? They look very tasty on tv. My friend said they were pretty small though. What do yall think?

They're good, but not awesome. But they do hit the spot and they're cheap.

Wow, thanks. Either I didn't pay attention close enough to their size on tv or they made them look deceptively bigger.

Yeah, they are not all that big, but two of them hit the spot.

First off, this new google search is awesome. I'm glad it was added.

A question for ipod users. I found this transmitter that will play my ipod in the car. However, I already have one of those (although its an off brand) and it sucks. Is there another device that doesn't need a radio wave signal to play an ipod. I guess I can't really think of any other way it could work, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Someone told me there was but they didn't say how it worked.

I need quality for ipod playing. This way is just not working. Thanks

A question for ipod users. I found this transmitter that will play my ipod in the car. However, I already have one of those (although its an off brand) and it sucks. Is there another device that doesn't need a radio wave signal to play an ipod. I guess I can't really think of any other way it could work, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Someone told me there was but they didn't say how it worked.

You could always hardwire a jack thru the preamp and position it on the dash somewhere

I think the one I have is a Kensington. it works really well. Key in a place like Houston is that you need one you can change the station on. Mine has three presets. It's that hard to find an unoccupied station in Houston. I have three that work in different areas of town. If you are too close on the "dial" to a station with a strong signal, you'll get static, which is what it sounds like you want to avoid. FYI, the best place on the dial I've found for the Montrose-Museum District area and surrounding is 92.5

I think the one I have is a Kensington. it works really well. Key in a place like Houston is that you need one you can change the station on. Mine has three presets. It's that hard to find an unoccupied station in Houston. I have three that work in different areas of town. If you are too close on the "dial" to a station with a strong signal, you'll get static, which is what it sounds like you want to avoid. FYI, the best place on the dial I've found for the Montrose-Museum District area and surrounding is 92.5

That's exactly my problem. What a pain it is to find a new station every 5-15 miles. Thanks for suggesting that station but I'm in the northern burbs.

It is worth getting the unit hardwired in the right way. Most newer radios have an aux input anyway.

not my 2001 :(

Have yall tried the cassette way? The quality might not be as good but at least I wouldn't have to worry about static and instead could actually listen to some music.

not my 2001 :(

Have yall tried the cassette way? The quality might not be as good but at least I wouldn't have to worry about static and instead could actually listen to some music.

Why not just buy a new radio with what you need? My Alpine only cost me $200 and can be rigged up for your Ipod, Sirius, AND XM (which I subscribe to). I've seen cheaper radios that can basically do the same thing.

Why not just buy a new radio with what you need? My Alpine only cost me $200 and can be rigged up for your Ipod, Sirius, AND XM (which I subscribe to). I've seen cheaper radios that can basically do the same thing.

not a bad idea, but i don't care enough to do that.

It's lunchtime, who's hungry?

...just got back from Burt's Meat Market, where I picked up 2 lbs of white boudin and 2lbs of andouille. Can't wait to get home tonight and start cooking!

I love a good meat market, (I know what you're going to say, musicman :rolleyes: !) and was delighted to find this one right off Lockwood just three miles from home. Yum...pork specialty meats!

Had lunch at a little taqueria on FM 1960 called Las Salsitas. I had cheese enchiladas that were actually quite tasty.

I would not reccomend the one next to Arby's west of Aldine Westfield. It's just called, Taqueria. My torta was just okay and it's way overpriced compared to other places.

I would not reccomend the one next to Arby's west of Aldine Westfield. It's just called, Taqueria. My torta was just okay and it's way overpriced compared to other places.

Arby's? Do you mean the one next to Whataburger?

If so, that is where I (we) ate. We always have great food and great service from the owner.

Archived