Speed Humps in Neighborhoods

SPEED HUMPS  

75 members have voted

1. 1. For or against speed humps/traffic calming devices

• Are you FOR speed humps in neighborhoods?
    • Are you AGAINST speed humps in neighborhoods
    • No opinion
  2. 2. As buyer how would a speed hump in front of a house affect your decision to buy?

• I would not buy a home with speed hump in front
    • I think speed hump would lower value of a house
    • I would not live on street with speed hump
    • Speed hump would not enter into making a decision to buy a home
  3. 3. Is there a speed hump in front of your house?

• I'm happy with speed hump
    • I'm unhappy with speed hump
    • There is no speed hump in front of my house.

What are opinions regarding speed humps, bumps, traffic calming. Do they affect emergency vehicle response times, pollution, noise [bumps in the night]. Do they save lives? Can disabled in wheel chairs or elec scooters use the humps easily [sidewalks in older areas are usually cracked/etc & most homeowners cannot afford to repair them; city does not repair them]. Anyone know how the ADA [Americans Disabilities Act] will affect traffic devices in neighborhoods? Seems [to me] patients in ambulances would suffer a "jolt" going over humps. Can going over speed humps affect the care given to patient in ambulance? Once installed, it's not easy to have them removed?

If interested, there is attachment with several articles @ speed humps.

Edited by OldHouseLover

What are opinions regarding speed humps, bumps, traffic calming. Do they affect emergency vehicle response times, pollution, noise [bumps in the night]. Do they save lives? Can disabled in wheel chairs or elec scooters use the humps easily [sidewalks in older areas are usually cracked/etc & most homeowners cannot afford to repair them; city does not repair them]. Anyone know how the ADA [Americans Disabilities Act] will affect traffic devices in neighborhoods? Seems [to me] patients in ambulances would suffer a "jolt" going over humps. Can going over speed humps affect the care given to patient in ambulance?

To me that impact on a child on a neighborhood street hit by a speeding motorist is a far bigger "jolt." More speeding offenders cruise down a neighborhood streets on a daily basis than an ambulance coming to an emergency. In turn, the speed bumps will cut down the number of trips ambulances need to make to that street.

Speed bumps are non-existant on the sides or taper down. If an ADA person is trying to manuever a wheelchair or a scooter down the middle of the street, that's their own fault.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Speed humps are a must. Most people (not all) just do not have respect for others so they had to put them in. The street next to my home is pretty much a drag strip to some. They do not care if there are children walking on the edge (no sidewalks). Cops fly down that same street but at least they have an excuse, I hope so anyway. Some people complain that the bumps mess up the shocks or the alignment but if you just slow down like they were intended it wouldnt happen. Again the crazy drivers left us no choice but to install them.

While I have not verified this with the city, certain streets are ineligigble for speed humps precisely because they are designated routes for emergency vehicles.

A couple of weeks after moving in, and watching the steady stream of 50 mph traffic on my street, (30 posted) I asked neighbors and learned they had looked into it. Precinct 6 and HPD do frequent patrols (we complain freqently). In the last month on my street, I've seen 2 vehicles pulled over (not sure why, though) and one guy getting cuffed after doing a really bad field sobriety test, practically in my driveway. At 10 on a sunday mornning, no less. With a fair number of street parkers, lots of children, bike riders and other pedestrians going to the bus stop a block over, especially before dawn, I worry about a dangerous accident from speeding. A lot more than I worry about the ride inside the ambulance going over the humps. From personal experience in the back of an ambulance on a gurney, the suspension is so damn bad I wouldn't have noticed. I can see how it would be different for the EMTs--but I still wish we could get the speed humps.

What are opinions regarding speed humps, bumps, traffic calming. Do they affect emergency vehicle response times, pollution, noise [bumps in the night]. Do they save lives? Can disabled in wheel chairs or elec scooters use the humps easily [sidewalks in older areas are usually cracked/etc & most homeowners cannot afford to repair them; city does not repair them]. Anyone know how the ADA [Americans Disabilities Act] will affect traffic devices in neighborhoods? Seems [to me] patients in ambulances would suffer a "jolt" going over humps. Can going over speed humps affect the care given to patient in ambulance?

when a hood applies for speed bumps, the COH performs a study whether the proposed routes are feasible for the speed bumps. this study does emcompass emergency vehicle and METRO bus routes. If the fire dept and METRO say this is a key route, then the humps aren't allowed.

as for noise, they can be noisy, especially if they are near your bedroom. i know my parents had this problem for yrs but the streets were recently redone and the humps were moved. as for the jolting going over the humps, this can be minimized by design but the ones i go over tend to be either a little too high or a little too narrow which seems to magnify the effect.

according to the feds Approximate delay of between 3 and 5 seconds per hump for fire trucks and up to 10 seconds for ambulance with patient

I lived in a house with a speed bump out front...I've seen firsthand the problems they cause. Speed bumps are a menace. They absolutely slow down the response time for fire trucks and ambulances. How many times have you seen an ambulance or firetruck on your street? How many times has somebody's kid gotten run over on your street? Ambulances and firetrucks will be delayed, invariable resulting in death in some instances, far more frequently than children will get run over. Moreover, they increase noise and pollution. You get to hear people's squeaky brakes as they slow down, then you get to hear their rusted out muffler (or lack thereof) as they accelerate away. It also causes folks to burn more gas than they would otherwise since they had to slow down and then accelerate back to speed. I even saw once instance of the speed hump causing a guy's trailer coming unhooked from the back of his truck and go careening into my front yard....had somebody's kid been in the path theyd've been killed or injured.

I lived in a house with a speed bump out front...I've seen firsthand the problems they cause. Speed bumps are a menace. They absolutely slow down the response time for fire trucks and ambulances. How many times have you seen an ambulance or firetruck on your street? How many times has somebody's kid gotten run over on your street? Ambulances and firetrucks will be delayed, invariable resulting in death in some instances, far more frequently than children will get run over. Moreover, they increase noise and pollution. You get to hear people's squeaky brakes as they slow down, then you get to hear their rusted out muffler (or lack thereof) as they accelerate away. It also causes folks to burn more gas than they would otherwise since they had to slow down and then accelerate back to speed. I even saw once instance of the speed hump causing a guy's trailer coming unhooked from the back of his truck and go careening into my front yard....had somebody's kid been in the path theyd've been killed or injured.

I have to agree with jm1fd. I lived on a street with speed bumps. It doesn't slow down the people that want to speed. They will either slow down fast and then gun it when they clear the bump or just floor it across all the speed bumps - since if you go fast enough the car wont actually bump. We had a guy that used to sail down the street everyday in a 71 impala going what had to be 60...never slowing a bit.

Speed bumps just become an annoyance for the residents more than anything else.

Other solutions would work better. Narrower lanes, on-street parking, center islands (like some streets in spring branch).

While I have not verified this with the city, certain streets are ineligigble for speed humps precisely because they are designated routes for emergency vehicles.

A couple of weeks after moving in, and watching the steady stream of 50 mph traffic on my street, (30 posted) I asked neighbors and learned they had looked into it. Precinct 6 and HPD do frequent patrols (we complain freqently). In the last month on my street, I've seen 2 vehicles pulled over (not sure why, though) and one guy getting cuffed after doing a really bad field sobriety test, practically in my driveway. At 10 on a sunday mornning, no less. With a fair number of street parkers, lots of children, bike riders and other pedestrians going to the bus stop a block over, especially before dawn, I worry about a dangerous accident from speeding. A lot more than I worry about the ride inside the ambulance going over the humps. From personal experience in the back of an ambulance on a gurney, the suspension is so damn bad I wouldn't have noticed. I can see how it would be different for the EMTs--but I still wish we could get the speed humps.

You can download an application for speed hump from City of Houston/Public Works/Traffic & Transp./Speed hump Program. From what I've heard, it's easy to get traffic survey done if application submitted. Does speed hump lower home values if placed in front or very near?

Edited by OldHouseLover

Speed bumps are a MUST - I AGREE! Before we moved, we lived on a corner (in Clear Lake - still here, different neighborhood). Our bedroom faced the street. The speed limit was posted at 25, but cars ignored it and zoomed by every night. Our new neighborhood has speed bumps, and it is safer for the children. How could anyone be against them unless they just have a lead foot!

the crazy drivers left us no choice but to install them.

Let me rephrase (forget how touchy the slightest letter/word can make some trip) The humps on my side street were there before I moved in. Yes, they are a noisy pain but we are used to it now. One day I'd love to place a ramp so racing cars could fly in the air and flip like stunt car drivers. Would be awesome. You tube, etc.$$$ :)

Let me rephrase (forget how touchy the slightest letter/word can make some trip) The humps on my side street were there before I moved in. Yes, they are a noisy pain but we are used to it now. One day I'd love to place a ramp so racing cars could fly in the air and flip like stunt car drivers. Would be awesome. You tube, etc.$$$ :)

Speed humps do attract those who like ramps :).

I have to agree with jm1fd. I lived on a street with speed bumps. It doesn't slow down the people that want to speed. They will either slow down fast and then gun it when they clear the bump or just floor it across all the speed bumps - since if you go fast enough the car wont actually bump. We had a guy that used to sail down the street everyday in a 71 impala going what had to be 60...never slowing a bit.

Other solutions would work better. Narrower lanes, on-street parking, center islands (like some streets in spring branch).

I personally believe they help from personal experirence where I remeber w/out speed humps(bigger than speed bumps) have mad quite on inpact townwood dr off W Oreom compared to the paralell street Waterloo where they gun it without interuption.

Speed humps are a must. Most Some people complain that the bumps mess up the shocks or the alignment but if you just slow down like they were intended it wouldnt happen. Again the crazy drivers left us no choice but to install them.

There wouldn't be anyone complaining about speed bumps messing up their cars if they weren't taking speed bumps at full speed to have something to talk about. With or without speed bumps, impatient assholes (myself among them) will continue to speed.

Of course, depending on the design, I might just take an arc through the center of the street or shift over to the far opposite lane to at least avoid having the driver's side tires having to hit the bump. If you suspect that someone making severe course corrections at high speeds on neighborhood streets makes your kids/pets/yard safer, then speed bumps might be for you.

Personally, I prefer it when the City installs sidewalks, even if it results in slightly narrower streets. Granted, its more difficult to get them to do, but it might at least have the desired effect and not annoy the hell out of whoever is unfortunate enough to have to live next to one.

Edited by TheNiche

I think they suck. They only annoy the residents. But, since it is the residents that actually request them, who am I to complain...except for the ones near me.

FWIW, I don't speed in my neighborhood, but, since I drive a 4WD, I don't brake for the humps, either. When I owned a sports car, they annoyed me a LOT more.

Personally, I prefer it when the City installs sidewalks, even if it results in slightly narrower streets. Granted, its more difficult to get them to do, but it might at least have the desired effect and not annoy the hell out of whoever is unfortunate enough to have to live next to one.

Yup, unless the sidewalks get so jacked up no one will walk on them and all foot traffic moves back out to the street....since there will be no humps for our street, the next hurdle is getting sidewalks fixed.

Interesting thread. I had no idea the humps are so hated.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give your opinions! I've lived on a street with speed humps & the noise [especially @ night] is very annoying! There are drivers who do not wish to be slowed down for any hump/bump in the road. They drive around the humps [on yard/sidewalks] or drive so fast they "fly over" the hump. Drivers who wish to share their music always creep over the humps & the neighborhood gets a free concert. Most annoying is the fact that most who cause problems [with or without humps] do not even live in the neighborhood. They cut thru to avoid going down a much busier street. As for children, mine did not play in the street & neither do grkids. The only children playing in/near our street are a group of skate boarders, of which a couple seem get an adrenalin rush waiting until the last second to get out of the street when car is coming.

A traffic survey is being done now on my street. According to city policies, it looks like it may just be just a few feet from my driveway. Emergency vehicles use our street a lot, so it will be interesting to see the results. Our street has quite a few walkers in evenings & many who walk their dogs along with several neighbors who use elec. wheel chairs/scooters. The sidewalks are old & uneven/broken. The city does not repair the sidewalks & it is quite expensive for property owners. Nor does the city allow trees to be cut which are on their right of ways [near sidewalks causing cracking]. As the city ages, the sidewalks will need much more attention. I walk in the street as the sidewalks slant & walking on slanting surface does much damage to the leg & feet joints. Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I was just curious how my opinions compared to others.

Tehre's a speed hump right in front of our house. we are happy it's there, as the folks who live in the townhomes at the end of the street had a bad habit of driving well over the speed limit until the humps were installed. now, they are more reasonable. The humps don't cause any problems for emergency vehicles in our neighborhood - my wife had to take an ambuolance ride a while back, and there were no delays.

Like any other tool , there are places where humps are appropriate, and places where they aren't. There are no one size fits all answers here.

COH speed bumps are really too shallow to be effective. Some speed bumps rouund the med center are narrower but a lot steeper. Those you REALLY need to come to a crawl at or they will give your car quite a shock. Of course a truck or SUV won't really care if there's one there or not.

And there are several reasons kids don't play in the streets these days, speeding cars are among the least of their worries on that count.

On a related note - every now and again I go to a party or BBQ in the 'burbs. It's curious that they bill themselves as kid-friendly, but you never, ever see sidewalks. If kids want to play in the street, they are on the pavement. I can think of few things less kid friendly....

The humps don't cause any problems for emergency vehicles in our neighborhood - my wife had to take an ambuolance ride a while back, and there were no delays.

The ambulance didn't slow down for the speed bumps? Seriously? Your wife went flying in the air when they went sailing over the bumps?

On a related note - every now and again I go to a party or BBQ in the 'burbs. It's curious that they bill themselves as kid-friendly, but you never, ever see sidewalks. If kids want to play in the street, they are on the pavement. I can think of few things less kid friendly....

Not sure where your hanging out in the burbs. Over the last 15 years virtually every neighborhood that has gone up in Katy, Sugarland, Missouri City etc, has sidewalks, and tend to be fairly kid friendly.

Ambulances don't speed up until they get out of the neighborhood. In a neighborhood, they keep the speed down. Hence, no delays.

So ambulances drive 3-5 mph inside neighborhoods? That's about as fast as you can go over a speedbump without sending a patient airborne.

on certain streets, especially in heavily wooded neighborhoods where there is a lot of tree debris in the gutters, humps can cause drainage problems in our rainy climate. I have seen them removed from my mother's neighborhood specifically for that reason.

Not sure where your hanging out in the burbs. Over the last 15 years virtually every neighborhood that has gone up in Katy, Sugarland, Missouri City etc, has sidewalks, and tend to be fairly kid friendly.

Katy & Pearland. No sidewalks that I could see....

Edit: at least in the subdivisions I've been in.

Edited by sidegate