Speed Humps in Neighborhoods

SPEED HUMPS  

75 members have voted

1. 1. For or against speed humps/traffic calming devices

• Are you FOR speed humps in neighborhoods?
    • Are you AGAINST speed humps in neighborhoods
    • No opinion
  2. 2. As buyer how would a speed hump in front of a house affect your decision to buy?

• I would not buy a home with speed hump in front
    • I think speed hump would lower value of a house
    • I would not live on street with speed hump
    • Speed hump would not enter into making a decision to buy a home
  3. 3. Is there a speed hump in front of your house?

• I'm happy with speed hump
    • I'm unhappy with speed hump
    • There is no speed hump in front of my house.

My problem has been with people and bicyclists not using the sidewalks in the subdivisions. They're walking and riding in the street where motorists can run them over.

Bicyclists are not supposed to use the sidewalks, and motorists are supposed to avoid running over bicyclists.

My problem has been with people and bicyclists not using the sidewalks in the subdivisions. They're walking and riding in the street where motorists can run them over.

What's the problem with that? Sounds like its just a mechanism by which the weak ones are thinned from the herd. :P;)

Bicyclists are not supposed to use the sidewalks, and motorists are supposed to avoid running over bicyclists.

Bicyclists need to avoid being runned over by motorists. Streets are for cars, trucks! Get on the side or you will be runned over!! If you want to ride your bike, go to Memorial Park! If you want to ride your bike, tell your subdivision, city, county or whatever to create bike lanes like they do in San Francisco. Otherwise, gamble with your life!

Bicyclists need to avoid being runned over by motorists. Streets are for cars, trucks! Get on the side or you will be runned over!!

You might want to brush up on your understanding of traffic regulations. Streets are for bikes, too. There's no good reason to run over them.

Well, if they ride like they own the road like most bicyclists in this city do, then it is gonna happen more often!

What do you mean "ride like they own the road?"

They have the same right to occupy a travel lane as a motorized vehicle and the same obligation to follow all traffic laws.

I have lived in homes with speed bumps in front and homes without speed bumps. I have found that they are there for a reason, as they are placed on streets with fast and frequent traffic. My old home backed onto Westheimer, and the drag racers were so dangerous and loud. i wished there were speed bumps, but i know itwas not a reasonable place for them. I hate commuters who race through neighborhoods trying to shave off a few minutes in traffic. I was almost hit by a truck while walking my baby in her stroller one day,(No sidewalks) and I think speed bumps would have helped prevent this.

I think we should put the pedestrians in the bike lanes and the bikes on the sidewalk. A person could easily fall off a bike and into traffic. There is no way I will ride my bike in a bike lane on a busy street, I just don't trust Houston drivers that much. A pedestrian run over by a bike has a much better chance than a biker run over by a car. Get rid of the bike lanes and fix the sidewalks so pedestrians and bikes can share them.

• 1 year later...

I think its good they are doing away with the stupid road humps, they don't slow people down on the entire road, they slow people down to a crawl going over them, and then they speed back up to really fast again.

Well, i can tell you countless times how many don't stop at stop signs.

and cars don't roll through stop signs.

they aren't removing existing, they are not installing more.

sorry, yeah, I should have typed my thought out more better!

I wonder if they are going to maintain the ones they have that are in disrepair? such as the ones on Hazard Street near Westheimer?

Or, if they resurface a road, will they replace the humps, or do away with them?

"My hump my hump my hump, my lovely speedy humps."

Actually they're called speed BUMPS.

Well the signs say "road humps", so that's what we'll call them.

and cars don't roll through stop signs.

I guess they don't in your little corner of town, but I've witnessed it.

Edited by JLWM8609

The thought of paying to induce additional wear and tear to my vehicles is absurd to me. And where people were going a constant speed before, you have them accelerating and breaking violently at times.

Edited by ihop

The thought of paying to induce additional wear and tear to my vehicles is absurd to me. And where people were going a constant speed before, you have them accelerating and breaking violently at times.

Braking violently for each hump says more about the lack of driving skills one has instead of the absurdity of the humps. I'd rather have a bunch of accelerating and decelerating cars with busted ball joints going down my quiet neighborhood street than people going at a constant speed of 50 mph in a 25 mph zone. An average jarring Houston pothole will do more damage to your front end than a broad, smooth road hump will. We have humps in the neighborhood and it's really put the speeding jerks and short-cutters in check. It's also safer for the bikers who don't have to worry about some jerk whizzing by just inches away at 20-25 over the limit.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...