Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

2011 Volvo S60 Interior

A marked improvement over our XC70. The one thing to watch out for will be how the navigation system works. We test drove an XC60 a while back, and the only way to input was through a ridiculous remote or a toggle on the steering wheel. It was insane. And you couldn't enter destinations while the car was in motion. Like Volvo drivers don't have passengers? Even my CC let's me enter destinations, so I know it isn't a European nanny thing. Just a Swedish (errr, Chinese) nanny thing.

2011 Ford Edge - The grille is huge but I like it .

2011edge009.jpg

2011edge001.jpg

2011edge033.jpg

Whereas the first-generation Edge has lived since 2006 with a 3.5-liter V6 as its sole drivetrain, the 2011 model will offer no fewer than three powertrain choices. For 2011, the 3.5-liter engine will live on as the Edge line's bread-and-butter, but it is being joined by Ford's first production application of a new EcoBoost 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo, as well as the larger 3.7-liter V6 for the popular Edge Sport. In the case of the 3.5-liter, it produces 285 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque, while the Sport's larger 3.7 Ti-VCT V6 delivers 305 ponies and 280 torques on 87 octane. Ford is not yet releasing power and economy numbers on the EcoBoost engine, but it promises "class-leading" fuel efficiency, noting that the new powertrain should eclipse the original 2006 Edge by some 30 percent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/2011-ford-edge-gets-three-engine-choices-more-ambitious-sport-m/

2011 Nissan Juke - Ugly all around.

09-nissan-juke-press.jpg

29-nissan-juke-press.jpg

The B-segment 'ute that Nissan asserts is "part SUV, part sports car" is due to make its debut at the Genvea motor show next month before going on sale in Europe and the U.S later this year.

Taking cues from the Qazana concept, the Juke was created by Nissan's European design arm and refined in Japan, with an odd amalgamation of organic creases, a sloping roofline, flared fenders and prominent greenhouse. It's considerably wider and taller than its most obvious road-going inspiration – the Nissan Micra– coming in at 61 inches tall with a wheelbase of 92.5 inches and based of the Renault/Nissan Alliance's B platform. Seventeen-inch wheels with 215-series tires will be available, along with either front- or all-wheel drive. Interestingly, the FWD versions come with a MacPherson front strut arrangement and a torsion beam in the rear, while the AWD variant gets an new multi-link suspension in the rear and torque-vectoring all-wheel drive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/geneva-preview-nissan-juke-unveiled/

2011 Toyota Avalon

2011-toyota-avalon-reveal-chicago_-(12).jpg

2011-toyota-avalon-reveal-chicago_-(25).jpg

2011-toyota-avalon-reveal-chicago_-(37).jpg

The bigger story for the revamped Avalon is on the inside, where a handsome new center stack, latest-generation navigation system and added niceties like a standard in-mirror backup camera and Bluetooth streaming audio and telephony have been fitted.

As before, the Avalon is powered by Toyota's 24-valve 3.5-liter V6, tuned here to make 268 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and achieve 20 miles-per-gallon in the city and 29 on the highway. It arrives in dealerships this spring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/2011-toyota-avalon-chicago-reveal/

2011 Volkswagon Touareg

01-2011-vw-touareg-press1.jpg

02-2011-vw-touareg-press1.jpg

09-2011-vw-touareg-press1.jpg

The new Touareg brings with it Volkswagon's first ever mass produced hybrid drivetrain. The hybrid combines the VW Group's supercharged and direct injected 3.0-liter V6 with an electric motor and an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Touareg hybrid gets a combined rating of 28.6 mpg (U.S.) on the EU cycle, a number that will probably be closer to 24-25 when it arrives Stateside. The diesel powered TDI does even better now with a rating of 31.8 mpg (U.S.). The Touareg is also available with a normally aspirated 3.6-liter gasoline V6 and for the first time the awesome 335 Horsepower 4.2-liter TDI V-8. Even the diesel V8 is rated at 25.8 mpg (U.S.). Unfortunately Americans won't be able to get that powerplant.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/officially-official-2011-volkswagen-touareg/

Should be Nissan Joke.

The back end reminds me of a Volvo C30, and the front of the bug i stepped on yesterday.

The Touareg, OTOH, is gorgeous. The current model is too heavy and uses far too much gas for the space you get. Shedding over 400lbs will help get it back into fighting weight. And decent mileage from the hybrid to boot. With that interior, who needs a Q7?

Should be Nissan Joke.

It's disgusting. UGH.

2011 Ford Edge - The grille is huge but I like it .

211edge009.jpg

2011edge001.jpg

2011edg033.jpg

Whereas the first-generation Edge has lived since 2006 with a 3.5-liter V6 as its sole drivetrain, the 2011 model will offer no fewer than three powertrain choices. For 2011, the 3.5-liter engine will live on as the Edge line's bread-and-butter, but it is being joined by Ford's first production application of a new EcoBoost 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo, as well as the larger 3.7-liter V6 for the popular Edge Sport. In the case of the 3.5-liter, it produces 285 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque, while the Sport's larger 3.7 Ti-VCT V6 delivers 305 ponies and 280 torques on 87 octane. Ford is not yet releasing power and economy numbers on the EcoBoost engine, but it promises "class-leading" fuel efficiency, noting that the new powertrain should eclipse the original 2006 Edge by some 30 percent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/2011-ford-edge-gets-three-engine-choices-more-ambitious-sport-m/

300HP? About time...

2011 Ford Transit Connect Taxi

transittaxichicago02.jpg

ford-transit-connect-taxi-chi-11-1265828468.jpg

ford-transit-connect-taxi-chi-24-1265828424.jpg

Hot on the (w)heels of the ford Transit Electric, the Transit Connect Taxi drove onto the stage at the Chicago Auto Show today running on compressed natural gas (CNG). The clean-burning utility van – based on the gasoline-powered North American Truck of the Year winner – adds to Ford's taxi fleet options like the Crown Victoria (see: pretty much any taxi in any city in the U.S.) and the Ford Escape Hybrid. The new taxi van can also burn propane (LPG, or liquefied petroleum gas). Of course, regular Transit Connect buyers can also opt for Ford's engine prep package to be able to put the gasoline alternatives into the tank. Like its battery-powered cousin, the Transit Connect Taxi will be in dealerships later this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/chicago-2010-ford-transit-connect-taxi-burns-cng-lpg-and-four/

• 2 weeks later...

2012 Chevy Aveo Sedan

aveo-ext-630op.jpg

aveo-interior-250op.jpg

With a front end that stays true to the RS, along with a set of bulging fenders and an artfully carved swage line, the 2012 Aveo is a dramatic departure from the budget-conscious model roaming the streets today. Coupled with a thoroughly revised interior, complete with upgraded materials and the RS' motorcycle-inspired gauge cluster, the Aveo has its sights set squarely on the new Ford Fiesta, particularly when it arrives in five-door form.

Pricing remains a question mark, but we'd suspect all the details to be revealed before the end of the year, with sales starting sometime in 2011.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/2012-chevrolet-aveo-sneaks-out-of-presentation/

GM Kills Hummer, Offically

GM will officially wind down Hummer operations as a deal with a Chinese automaker stalled over Chinese enviormental concerns. Hummer joins Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn in the growing pile of ex-GM brands no longer considered part of the company's focused mission of not having to file for bankruptcy again.

http://jalopnik.com/5479428/gm-kills-hummer-officially

Im a big Audi fan (I have an A5) but this just doesn't do it for me....I will need to see it in person - it's always hard to tell from pics...

This will also spawn 5-door and convertible variations.

Have you seen the convertible version of the A5?

If someone comes up with a bid it may yet live again. After all, Saab was brought back from the dead.

2011 Porsche Cayenne

2011-Porsche-Cayenne-24.jpg

2011-Porsche-Cayenne-14.jpg

The new Cayenne shares its platform with the also new Volkswagen Touareg while using various mechanical bits and pieces from the Panamera.

And even though it has grown in length some 40mm, like the Touareg, Porsche's SUV model is somewhere around 200kg or about 440 pounds lighter than the outgoing Cayenne.

From what we know, powetrain options will include the VW Group-sourced 3.6-liter V6 petrol with 300HP (also found in the Panamera) and 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel with 240HP, as well as a 4.8-liter V8 in naturally aspirated (Cayenne S 400HP) and turbocharged forms (Cayenne Turbo 500HP).

Furthermore, the Cayenne will be offered with the same diesel-electric hybrid drivetrain as the Touareg coupling a 3.3-liter supercharged V6 TSI producing 333HP and 265 lb-ft of torque to a 47HP electric motor for a total output of 380HP and 428 lb-ft.

The 2011 Cayenne will have its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show early next week and go on sale this Spring.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/02/2011-porsche-cayenne-suv-leaks-out.html

Edited by Urbannizer

Have you seen the convertible version of the A5?

Yeah - checked it out a few times at my dealer - it's a nice car, although I dont think the convertible looks as good as the coupe - the roofline/trunk dont look as good to me....still a nice car though...

2011 Porsche Cayenne

I like the updates (except maybe the taillights)....the interior looks nice....

I drove one of these a few years ago and they drive great - amazing handling for a heavy SUV....didn't care much for the looks back then...I do like the current GTS model though...

New 2011 Sonata having a recall already due to door latch - affects a very small number of cars since it's only been on sale for a few weeks....kind of funny to see a 2011 car recalled when it's only 2010 !!

http://www.leftlanen...nata-sedan.html

Well Hyundai got on the problem quickly, and its not as significant as the continuous Toyota/Lexus recalls. Mr.Toyoda was in Washington yesterday.

2011 Lexus CT 200h

03-lexus-ct200h.jpg

04-lexus-ct200h.jpg

08-lexus-ct200h.jpg

The new Lexus CT 200h is the first full hybrid vehicle to be launched in the premium compact segment. Entering production in late 2010 and set for sale worldwide, the full hybrid model will provide a new gateway to the Lexus range and attract new, younger customers to the brand.

The CT 200h was designed and developed with the European market in mind. Lexus's first five-door compact car, its size, packaging, full hybrid technology and low emissions fully address the requirements of discerning, environment-conscious customers in a key market sector. At the same time, it does not compromise the quality, refinement and driving pleasure that are the hallmarks of every Lexus.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/25/officially-official-lexus-drops-the-curtain-on-ct-200h/