Gateway Station: 3-Hotels, Retail Above METRO Transit Center For The TMC

13 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Link confirms this as an actual proposal, bids were held late last year: https://www.governmentcontracts.us/government-contracts/opportunity-details/NBD15684349441937686.htm?cts=c08ff

Which is why it probably hasn't gotten off the ground just yet. Government projects/contracts take forever...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Is this a close walk to the TMC 3 DNA strand building?

sn1rWmy.jpg

probably between 10-12mins

I consider that walkable. This is why I've been making the argument that Metro should shift the lightrail to go down Fannin instead of of Greenbriar. Would make more sense and would help catch more ridership once that area is built up more.

• Like 4

I agree that is where they should have build it, but a mile of light rail track costs about $122 million if Metro's estimates are right.  A medical center people mover or a branded shuttle might be a better answer than laying parallel track - you can get a nice shuttle bus for $122 million

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gene said:

When can they do something with the downtown transit center? the whole 1 to 2 block radius with bus station etc is 🤢🤮

The bus bays definitely need a refresh, but the block immediately north of the Downtown TC is owned by a private company and is targeted for a midrise apartment building.

It would be nice to get all the different long distance buses under one roof with good waiting areas & pick up - Megabus is pretty busy there on the corner, the greyhound station is not great,  and now a new service Flixbus is going to start, but leaving from next to Buffalo Wild Wings in midtown. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

The bus bays definitely need a refresh, but the block immediately north of the Downtown TC is owned by a private company and is targeted for a midrise apartment building.

It would be nice to get all the different long distance buses under one roof with good waiting areas & pick up - Megabus is pretty busy there on the corner, the greyhound station is not great,  and now a new service Flixbus is going to start, but leaving from next to Buffalo Wild Wings in midtown. 

I thought Flixbus was going to leave from close to Rice U?

Anyway, I'm very excited that Flixbus is coming to town. I used Flixbus extensively while in Germany. Great Service, and if you wanted to just go exploring for cheap then it was a great alternative. Would be interesting if they started a shuttle to Galveston. I would totally use a Flixbus to go down to Galveston or Kemah for that matter.

• Like 5

On 3/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, gene said:

When can they do something with the downtown transit center? the whole 1 to 2 block radius with bus station etc is 🤢🤮

I don't know if it has anything to do with the Greyhound Bus Station or the new bar going up at Webster and Travis, but the block between the two (with the car rental place) is being cleaned up. The dirt and rubbish are being swept out. Does anyone know what's going on here?

20190312_145617.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I don't know if it has anything to do with the Greyhound Bus Station or the new bar going up at Webster and Travis, but the block between the two (with the car rental place) is being cleaned up. The dirt and rubbish are being swept out. Does anyone know what's going on here?

20190312_145617.jpg

I believe that block was rumored for a proposed 10-story apartment building before the downturn. Looks like a construction fence to me. How does the rental car building look?

This probably needs a thread change.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this the future superblock of the med center? The renderings from 1020 Holcombe and if/when they build this.. Plus TMC 3 nearby to the south - to me it seems like a smart move. Innovation tower across the street also.. 😎

Edited by ZRFkris
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Gateway Station: 3-Hotels, Retail Above METRO Transit Center
  • The title was changed to Gateway Station: 3-Hotels, Retail Above METRO Transit Center For The TMC
  • 1 year later...

Metro eases into land development, aiming to connect transit, housing and jobs

Sep. 26, 2022

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Metro-easing-into-land-speculating-in-hopes-of-17451606.php

Metro already is sitting on very desirable land in the medical center. Located across Fannin from MD Anderson Cancer Center and across Pressler from UT Health’s health science center, the transit center has drawn interest for major projects, all willing to maintain its bus access.

When approached in 2018 with an unsolicited offer that later drew a competing proposal, however, Metro opted to keep things as they were because neither project, officials concluded, would improve transit access for existing riders. Instead, both projects had the potential to encourage hundreds of daily vehicle trips into the crowded medical center.

“Although both proposals provided estimated revenue streams and various amenities, the potential issues related to the customer experience was the overriding factor in the decision to not move forward with this solicitation” Metro staff wrote in a summary to cancel the discussions.

TMC Transit Center Joint Development Proposal Review:

https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1857&meta_id=43970