Home At 9602 Moonlight Dr.

Willowisp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This just makes me ill. My father worked for Bob Cohen at Storecrafters (aka Triumph Industries and Architectural Woodworking), and we often drove over and watched the construction of this incredible home. It was a marvel, and like most marvels in my home city, it had to be bulldozed to make way for the mundane. I feel like I should sit shiva for it.

"The plant" -as we called it - where Daddy worked for Bob was on Yellowstone Blvd., almost right where it meets OST by the railroad tracks near Almeda. Cohen also designed this wonderful mod building. It too, was slated to be torn down; that was about three years ago, and I haven't been back by since. You might want to drive by; it may still be standing. I'd love to go back inside once more...spent many, many happy hours running around there on Saturdays when I was a kid. I have a photo of it taken the last time I went by, and will post it when I find it.

This just makes me ill. My father worked for Bob Cohen at Storecrafters (aka Triumph Industries and Architectural Woodworking), and we often drove over and watched the construction of this incredible home. It was a marvel, and like most marvels in my home city, it had to be bulldozed to make way for the mundane. I feel like I should sit shiva for it.

"The plant" -as we called it - where Daddy worked for Bob was on Yellowstone Blvd., almost right where it meets OST by the railroad tracks near Almeda. Cohen also designed this wonderful mod building. It too, was slated to be torn down; that was about three years ago, and I haven't been back by since. You might want to drive by; it may still be standing. I'd love to go back inside once more...spent many, many happy hours running around there on Saturdays when I was a kid. I have a photo of it taken the last time I went by, and will post it when I find it.

Will definitely go by and take a look...thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum!

• 1 month later...

Not to put salt on the wounds but I noticed a while back that Marvin Granit put his beloved lot up for sale. Anyone know why he backed out on building his personal custom home after so expediantly tearing down the Cohen house?

ML #: 2474064

Not to put salt on the wounds but I noticed a while back that Marvin Granit put his beloved lot up for sale. Anyone know why he backed out on building his personal custom home after so expediantly tearing down the Cohen house?

ML #: 2474064

Maybe y'all scared him.

My guess is that he and his fictitious girlfriend are on the outs.

By the way, I went to the Bellaire New Home Showcase and his house was my least favorite, and not only because I went into the house with a bad attitude. The floor plan just made no sense to me.

The high price may have to do with the cost of clearing the land (aka the Cohen Curse)!

This is just another bad chapter in this bad book.

Jason

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?MLNUM=2474064

Granit is still willing to build you one of his fabulous homes on this lot as stated in the listing:

Large cleared corner lot in the heart of Meyerland. Available for sale or as a custom build with Granit Builders. Call for more information on build possibilities - plans available for a fabulous home.

Here are some excerpts from his website about his fabulous homes:

• Like 1

My guess is that he and his fictitious girlfriend are on the outs.

By the way, I went to the Bellaire New Home Showcase and his house was my least favorite, and not only because I went into the house with a bad attitude. The floor plan just made no sense to me.

The high price may have to do with the cost of clearing the land (aka the Cohen Curse)!

This is just another bad chapter in this bad book.

Jason

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?MLNUM=2474064

Ahh c'mon, you're showing your bias. You mean to tell me you liked the house with the unusable room better?

flipper

Get a load of the size of that dog. I would hate to be the poor soul who takes him on walks and has to poopie scoop behind him.

You'll have to trust me, it's not that hard. The advantage is you never accidentally step in it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Personal story ... since I first saw this thread a couple weeks back, the Carousel House has been eating away at my brain. I don't recall ever seeing it in person, just pictures, but I can't quit thinking about it.

So last Friday afternoon, after I got off work, I headed that way. I found the lot no problem - HUGE lot - and the pool is still intact. Walking around on the lot, though, gave me a weird feeling - very strange vibe.

I got back in the car and went around the corner (literally) to the Formica House, and checked it out through the windows. It looks cool, from what I could see, but it also had a strange vibe. I wanted to look around more, but couldn't make myself.

I am not in any way sensitive to such things, which is why I found the whole phenomenon unsettling.

I feel like I am in a huge torture chamber after reading topics like this one, time & time again. So many significant architectural structures falling. And why on earth would they keep a retro boomerang shaped 50's-60's shaped pool? Will look out-of-place with new construction. Will it have a waterfall? I'm cringing. One of these things just doesn't belong here. Those pictures of the carousel house were great, thnx for posting. At least we have those. The entrance was beautiful.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

First Granit destroyed one of Houston's most fantastic landmarks and now he's attempting to do something that could inflict destruction of the entire neighborhood.

If the City of Houston approves the replatting/subdivision of this lot, it will start a trend that could destroy one of Houston's finest neighborhoods. We were all dreading one Granit mcmansion. He could be opening the way for dozens, possibly hundreds if everyone decides to cash-in. Hopefully the Meyerland property owners association will put a quick stop to this.

Don't let Granit continue to defile Meyerland.

• The title was changed to Contemporary Masterpiece Destroyed At 9602 Moonlight Dr.
  • The title was changed to Home At 9602 Moonlight Dr.