Home At 9602 Moonlight Dr.

Willowisp

I have to wonder about someone in the building profession who doesn't see any difference between tearing down a cookie-cutter tract house in old Bellaire and tearing down this. Of course the problem is that a highly individualized custom dream house will probably have less appeal to anyone other than the original owner. I think the house should be preserved for cultural reasons as much as architectural, but do I want a round living room or a 15' velour sofa (even if extant?)

I have to wonder about someone in the building profession who doesn't see any difference between tearing down a cookie-cutter tract house in old Bellaire and tearing down this.

I would assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that many, if not most, residential home builders don't have an architectural background and would have little appreciation for something like this. How many times have you seen on this forum or others a comment like "who cares -- it's just another old building"? Most people in general don't appreciate modern architecture. A co-worker of mine was talking about the home after she read the article and said "Who would want a home with Formica?" I mean, to reduce the significance of this house to "yucky Formica" is ridiculous, but prevalent. (Next time I'll tell her that I just installed new Formica in my kitchen!)

I think the house should be preserved for cultural reasons as much as architectural, but do I want a round living room or a 15' velour sofa (even if extant?)

I do! Think of the swank parties you could throw!

I would assume (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that many, if not most, residential home builders don't have an architectural background and would have little appreciation for something like this. How many times have you seen on this forum or others a comment like "who cares -- it's just another old building"? Most people in general don't appreciate modern architecture. A co-worker of mine was talking about the home after she read the article and said "Who would want a home with Formica?" I mean, to reduce the significance of this house to "yucky Formica" is ridiculous, but prevalent. (Next time I'll tell her that I just installed new Formica in my kitchen!)

I do! Think of the swank parties you could throw!

Word to ya motha! 100% agree.

Swank parties is just the beginning, my dogs/cats would LOVE a 15' couch in a round living room

and so would I!

Sorry everyone...

Project No:

Date:

11/15/2007

USE:

DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

GOUNEY HAZEL M MC

Job Address:

9602 MOONLIGHT DR

Tax ID:

Subdivision:

MEYERLAND SEC 8 R/P I

Buyer:

FREDRICK D RELFORD

Address:

6011 TUSKEGEE 77091

Phone:

https://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/permits...p;PermitType=12

not sure who Hazel M Gouney is...

Thanks, guys -- especially those of you who talked to me.

I love this forum.

-- Lisa, from the Chron

just read the article yesterday. each time i purchase a chronicle, it is stories like yours that i'm looking for. thanks for doing your part and doing it so well. :wub:

demo permit - dated the 16th - Troy Malone Demolishing

Project No:

Date: 11/16/2007

USE:

DEMO RES/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

GOUNEY HAZEL M MC

Job Address:

9602 MOONLIGHT DR

Tax ID:

Subdivision:

MEYERLAND SEC 8 R/P I

Buyer:

TROY MALONE DEMOLISHING

Address:

4814 OATES RD 77013

Phone:

https://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/permits...p;PermitType=SD

9602 Moonlight Drive

Houston, Texas

http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...c+I3J-L0300.jpg

View from foyer toward living area

http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...+4MNxPd0300.jpg

View from living area toward foyer, bar and kitchen entrance to the right

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pic...yNNLICQ0300.jpg

Kitchen

GLbQDRuinGSodZS0ozFwpsiidndUs7nE0300.jpg

Master bathroom

wqzh2YOw1wv1IJ1x1OagORNWANpgpHMi0300.jpg

Butted glass shower seen from the private master bathroom garden

It's gone.

He obviously expedited the demolition after the chron article was published...probably fearing a ground-swell of support.

He took a page from the Ashland tea room house...or from the old adage...its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...or something like that. y'all know what i mean.

He obviously expedited the demolition after the chron article was published...probably fearing a ground-swell of support.

He took a page from the Ashland tea room house...or from the old adage...its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission...or something like that. y'all know what i mean.

I agree. The house changed hands sometime around the middle of September. But once the article came out he didn't waste any time getting the house demo'ed.

I drove by today to see with my own eyes and now I wish I hadn't. It's very disturbing to see something so great reduced to pieces for the landfill.

Shame. Shame on Zev Isgur, for his taking advantage of the helping hand extended and also the damage he did to the classic car world. Shame on John O'Quinn for his antipathy or neglect. No doubt, for him, the property was a symbol of his financial losses, Isgur's betrayal, and his misplaced trust. Shame on Marvin Granit for his lack of vision and respect for a neighborhood icon. This is so sad.

A bit of advice to everyone in Houston who feels passionately about preservation:

I have a good friend who is very involved in community affairs, and who also happens to work for a department in the City of Houston. She is very in tune with current redevelopment trends, as well as up and coming challenges.

Her words: "If your subdivision doesn't have good, strong deed restrictions (with respect to redevelopment), you're done".

How this translates: if your subdivision doesn't have good Deed Restrictions AND a review process/committee (aka the Architectural Review Board) who will ENFORCE rules about approval for add-ons, rebuilding, etc., your subdivision has a problem. Love it or hate it, the ARB idea is the only thing that is going to give your subdivision a tool that may prevent another Moonlight from happening. The City isn't going to do it for you - they want the Tax revenue, nevermind their public posturing about 'concern'.

What you can do: there is strength in numbers, but it's a challenging road. Attend your Civic meetings, ask questions, GET INVOLVED. The Civic clubs are there for YOU as a concerned homeowner. You have a right to request minutes of meetings, etc. to find out what decisions are being made, what changes are being discussed, or what rules are/are not being enforced. If your Deed Restrictions need updating, be a catalyst for change - push for the addition of an Architectural Review Board or equivalent when changes are made.

There is a fine line between growth and stagnation of property values; most people side for growth. But most people today are uneducated about the value of some preservation.

If you care about preserving some semblance of the past and about managed growth, it's your job to teach them about it.

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday it appeared that some of the outer stone was being salvaged. I also kindly asked to take a look inside, but the guy refused.

112107_moonlight2.jpg

They probably didn't even bother to salvage the wonderful light fixtures or hardware. Idiots!

Edited by 1959catty

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's terrific there are still postings regarding this home. The "swamplot" site and the associated links are informative and well done -- be sure to visit them. It's my understanding from sources close to the project that the current owner desired to retain the driveway configuration -- which was denied by the homeowners association as was another site specific feature which I cannot recall. Such may be the norm in that area but I do not feel the least bit of empathy for the owner and/or builder.

Neighborhood evolution is inevitable... and often necessary. But if such is at the expense of historic significance, well... that's another matter altogether.

Hope there's a fall-out shelter below that slab.