The Heights Dry Zone

SaintCyr

3 minutes ago, Angostura said:

The lease memo was available to the public since it was filed with the county clerk back in May. The lease is in the name of "HEB Grocery Company LP," not some cryptically named shell company (e.g. "BKR Memorial II, LLC," which is the grantor in the lease memo), so it comes up when searching for "HEB" on the county clerk's website. 

I stumbled across it when looking for the Shepherd & 23rd lease and posted it to the Going Up thread yesterday (coincidentally, just a few minutes before the first Chronicle article on the lease was posted yesterday afternoon).

Oh come on.  How many people know how to search the grantor/grantee index in the real property records?  And lots of people, including the media, have been pestering HEB about their plans for Houston stores.  HEB was purposefully silent in order to give people in the Heights the impression that if they did not get the property on W 23rd, people would be SOL.  The strategy is a good one, until you get found out.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ADCS said:

It's all about you, isn't it?

I swear, sometimes I wonder if people break out in hives around here if they accidentally think with a community spirit.

Ever been to the Heights?  There are plenty in the community who have "vote no" signs in their yards right now.  They have done this because they believe that the dry zone is best for their community.  Who are you to say that they have no "community spirit"?

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

Oh come on.  How many people know how to search the grantor/grantee index in the real property records? 

Several dozen people on HAIF and the real estate reporters at the Houston Chronicle, for starters.

I have no doubt that HEB believes their chances of getting the ballot measure passed is lower if people think the Washington store is a done deal, which is why they didn't go out of their way to publicize it. But if they really wanted to hide it, they could have done a better job. 

There's also the matter of the people who are getting evicted from their homes so they can be demolished to make way for this development, something with which HEB may not want to be quite as directly associated.

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Angostura said:

With respect to design, I think HEB has earned some credibility, especially in comparison with its competition.

I bet the HEB pawns (the purported neighborhood support) who organized to make the Heights wet may now reconsider how their time was spent.  The pictures are worth a thousand words - it is not at all like the Montrose store, and it is little better than the used car lots those residents fear.  The plans are already scheduled for Planning Commission as Item 78 on Nov 10:  See:  ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov//2016/2016-23_DraftAgenda.pdf

Looks like HEB is going forward wet or dry.

I also doubt the Washington/Heights Blvd site will look like this hunk of concrete because those consumers will expect a better design.

I just keep laughing - wasn't the slogan Heights Expects Better!??  Well, this step child did not get much at all.

9 hours ago, HeightsPeep said:

I bet the HEB pawns (the purported neighborhood support) who organized to make the Heights wet may now reconsider how their time was spent.  The pictures are worth a thousand words - it is not at all like the Montrose store, and it is little better than the used car lots those residents fear.  The plans are already scheduled for Planning Commission as Item 78 on Nov 10:  See:  ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov//2016/2016-23_DraftAgenda.pdf

Looks like HEB is going forward wet or dry.

I also doubt the Washington/Heights Blvd site will look like this hunk of concrete because those consumers will expect a better design.

I just keep laughing - wasn't the slogan Heights Expects Better!??  Well, this step child did not get much at all.

I told you that H-E-B would phone it on the store design. Called it. (Though the FTP requires a password).

Heights is going wet despite the horror-show general election.

At least there was one bright spot in last night's electoral fiasco.  I live in the non-dry Greater Heights Area (which isn't as much of a hellhole as I've heard it described), so I couldn't vote on this item.  But the Heights residents spoke.  

I'll be glad for a nearby H.E.B.--which I much prefer to Kroger.  Warning: I ride Metro, so I'm one of those "bus riders."   I'll try really hard not to pass out in a pool of vomit as I tote my baked goods, produce & 6-pack of 5 O'Clock Pils home through your neighborhood.temperence.jpg.  

78% turnout among voters in the (now semi-) dry Heights, compared to 61% in the county as a whole.

About 3/4 of voters on this issue voted early, and early voters voted 65-35 FOR.  Election day votes were 60-40 FOR.

It looks like the announcement of the store on Washington and/or the leaked renderings of the Shepherd store changed a few minds, but not many. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to read The Last American City by Douglas Milburn (and no, I'm not in the wrong thread), and the part where he talks about convenience store comes this little tidbit:

Bizarre Convenience Store Fact: convenience stores on Heights Blvd. do not sell beer, apparently because of some local option election.

Mildly impressive that Milburn considered this strange and out of date in 1979, and it took another 35 years to actually change.

• The title was changed to Dry Areas And Texas Liquor Laws
  • The title was changed to The Heights Dry Zone

Archived