METRO Solutions Inner City Corridor Construction

roadrunner

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a flyer in the mail from Metro yesterday annoucing two new public meetings in which they plan to release the completed DEIS. Supposedly they'll have copies for handout too.

The meeting dates are Mon Aug 13th for the West part of the line and

Tues 14th for the East part. I don't have the flyer with me, so i don't rememeber the locations.

Side note: Part of Metro Solution site appears to be down this morning, the University Line page.. so perhaps they will have updates with meeting details later today.

They appear to be on schedule.

University Line - Per Metro Solutions Site.

Dec. 2006 METRO board approves short list of alignments

Mar. 2007 METRO conducts public meetings to seek input for Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)

Jul. / Aug. 2007 Circulation of DEIS

Sep. 2007 METRO Board adopts Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA)

Sep. 2007 - Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS)

Dec. 2008 -Refine preferred alternative

-Describe mitigating measures

Feb. 2008 Record Of Decision (ROD)

(Federal Transit Administration approval)

Summer 2008 Begin construction

Winter 2012 Operations begin

Side note: Part of Metro Solution site appears to be down this morning, the University Line page.. so perhaps they will have updates with meeting details later today.

METRO's website says that the DEIS is now available, but when I click on any of the chapters I get a "encyption error" in Acrobat. Is anybody else able to read the DEIS, or is METRO just having problems with their website?

I wish we could forget this light rail system and focus on having the best bus system in America. I think we should focus on cleaner busses, more frequencies, new routes, safe bus stops, dedicated HOV lanes, toll-way access, and non-stop airport service. And while we

I wish we could forget this light rail system and focus on having the best bus system in America. I think we should focus on cleaner busses, more frequencies, new routes, safe bus stops, dedicated HOV lanes, toll-way access, and non-stop airport service. And while we

according ot the METRO solutions plan they are expanding the bus system. ;) i think the riders have a different opinion.

Yes... over the duration of the Metro Solutions timeframe... which means they hve until 2012 to reach their goal of... i believe its 50% increase...

so hush your yapper for a few years

I found this video of the metro light rail when I was searching youtube for Houston light rail videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbmbs3FOcxA

Can you tell that its in Houston?

yup. thats pretty...obvious. har har. and their other video is on the battleship texas. lame music by the way, trying a little to hard at electrocore/synthpop and falling short. :rolleyes:

You like that music City Kid?

No, I just found it while searching metro light rail Houston on youtube. I just like seeing the rail. I don't listen to that type of music, I listen to 97.9, 102.1, 104.9, etc. Even 95.7 the wave sometimes.

• 1 month later...
I was browsing through the FAQs at the metrosolutions.org website about each of the five corridors. According to the website, these are the construction dates for the LRT/BRT lines:

- Intermodal Terminal - begins Summer 2007, completed 2010

- North Corridor - begins mid 2007, completed 2010

- Uptown Corridor - begins late Summer 2007, completed 2011

- University Corridor - begins 2008, completed 2012

- East End Corridor - actually couldn't find a date

- Southeast Corridor - begins Summer 2007, completed 2011

Ok, so here's my question. Are they about to break ground all over town, or is this just really outdated information that was optimistically published on the website?

I'm guessing no one has seen any construction starting on any of these lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is a bit of news I picked up from someone.

"Noticeable" work will have started by April on all the lines except the U-Line. Up until then, utility and survey work will be done.

Believe it or not, the U-line still hasn't been decided yet, but they ARE going through with it and there is no doubt that the head of metro has the fortitude to be able to throw whatever opposition has in mind.

We talked briefly about future plans, but nothing specific that I could discuss about this all this isn't public knowledge. Someone set a timer for me to reveal something in a couple of months involving a major purchase from metro. :D

Sorry for just the teaser, guys.

We talked briefly about future plans, but nothing specific that I could discuss about this all this isn't public knowledge. Someone set a timer for me to reveal something in a couple of months involving a major purchase from metro. :D

Sorry for just the teaser, guys.

So they put the order of the Light rail trains that they will now be able to use for the Uptown line instead of BRT. :D

I have noticed survey crews, several different times along the new lines... Is this major purchase going to be a good suprise and/or be impressive... I guess I'm trying to ask, is it going to make pro-rail persons happy?

• 4 months later...

i find it hard to belive that it would take such a long time to construct these lines..................the Empire State Building was constructed in a span of 1 year. 1 year it took to build that skyscraper back in 1930/1931, when technology wasn't there, nor all the tools that we have today.

i find it hard to belive that it would take such a long time to construct these lines..................the Empire State Building was constructed in a span of 1 year. 1 year it took to build that skyscraper back in 1930/1931, when technology wasn't there, nor all the tools that we have today.

They didn't have to concern themselves with pesky things like safety regulations or keeping major thoroughfares open to four lanes of traffic.

They didn't have to concern themselves with pesky things like safety regulations or keeping major thoroughfares open to four lanes of traffic.

however, things must have been pretty safe, as there were only 5 reported deaths during the contstruction. That is astounding!!

however, things must have been pretty safe, as there were only 5 reported deaths during the contstruction. That is astounding!!

It just goes to show you how things have changed. Five deaths on the job nowadays will shut things down and have OSHA all over the site with a microscope if you get to start up again. It would be a black mark, not something to brag about.

Besides, it's not just about deaths. Injuries?

Archived