METRO Solutions Inner City Corridor Construction

roadrunner

i find it hard to belive that it would take such a long time to construct these lines..................the Empire State Building was constructed in a span of 1 year. 1 year it took to build that skyscraper back in 1930/1931, when technology wasn't there, nor all the tools that we have today.

Two points:

1) It took 3400 construction workers to achieve this. To get a construction contract like that these days would be very costly (especially for the skilled labour required). So I suspect that while it could be done in theory, this would not be the best use of funds. Also, to be exact, construction of the Empire State Bldg started Jan 22 1930 and the building opened May 1 1931 - so its a bit over 1 year.

2) Construction only starts after you completed design and engineering. These items frequently take more time than construction itself. I am familiar with this in the context of oil/chemical industry - what's called front end development usually takes several (2-4) years. How long did it take for the Empire State? I somehow recall that the building was planned in 1927 but I am not certain ...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

looks like Councilmember Ron Green has asked the current METRO management to step down. He stated that frank wilson doesn't know how to work with the community and is attempting to force rail in certain communities that don't want it. with council voting soon, it should be interesting.

believe it or not trae, it is more than afton oaks. the news story specifically mentioned wheeler (looked like it was east of 288)

I don't think they oppose the rail. Not at all. They just want a better design for it (not running down the middle of Wheeler). Afton Oaks people hated the rail completly.

I don't think they oppose the rail. Not at all. They just want a better design for it (not running down the middle of Wheeler). Afton Oaks people hated the rail completly.

The residents of Afton Oaks don't need rail.

FYI -

The East End Rail Line groundbreaking is scheduled for Friday, June 27, 2008, according to METRO President & CEO Frank Wilson. This is in lieu of Houston City Council voting to approve the Consent Agreement that would allow METRO to begin work on city streets and related ROW.

Given this, it may now be a good idea if we could have a sticky thread for each rail line (E-W, East End, SE, Post Oak and North) here in the transportation section for convenience so as to potentially cut down on the number of related threads, since this is going to be a 3.5 to 4 year process that will garner a lot of comments.

We have threads for each line I believe. We need a new start for the University Line thread though. That thing is a mess.

Do you think so? I think its important to keep the thread intact to give some relevancy to how we have been debating and arguing about it for the past couple of years.

Just mentioned on ch. 13 that they plan on breaking ground on the 27th on the east line, but are going to push for (at least that particular line) to be completed by 2011. I wasn't sure if they meant that they want ALL the lines open by 2011 or not.

Just mentioned on ch. 13 that they plan on breaking ground on the 27th on the east line, but are going to push for (at least that particular line) to be completed by 2011. I wasn't sure if they meant that they want ALL the lines open by 2011 or not.

Nice.

And I think they mean just for the East End Line to open up by 2011. I've read that somewhere. I think part of it being that it is the easiest line to construct out of the five new ones.

Nice.

And I think they mean just for the East End Line to open up by 2011. I've read that somewhere. I think part of it being that it is the easiest line to construct out of the five new ones.

Well, I saw the article on KTRK and I'm rewatching it right now (Thanks TIVO!) and it is saying that the east side will be the first to break ground (Harrisburg line), and it will be pushed to 2011. they initially said that the FIRST of the lines will be operational by 2012, so that makes me believe that the other lines will go online a year or so after that.

We have threads for each line I believe. We need a new start for the University Line thread though. That thing is a mess.

Westheimer. Don't think it'll work? Make it work. That's the way we roll.

The road is narrow and useless as a thoroughfare. Close off that curve to traffic, that constant traffic accident waiting to happen, and you can send that train through there. Make it a pedestrian mall or something like Main Street Square with the current line.

The 82 bus is freaking packed these days...

They don't have to use it. Don't put a station there.

And in 10-15 years (if not sooner) they'll be kicking themselves, wishing they hadn't protested the rail line in their neighborhood. They're Houston's version of DC's Georgetown.

• The title was changed to METRO Solutions Inner City Corridor Construction

Archived