World's Tallest Skyscraper Proposed for Houston?

Triton

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I looked on the Chicago Sun-Times website and couldn't find anything on it. I looked in the archives and regular google searches.

Personally, I wouldn't be dissappointed at all to see this be built in Chicago. I think it would look plum ridiculous here. Not to mention that the Chicago Skyline already has several supertalls to kind of balance it a bit. Also not to mention that their skyline is about to be ruined as it is by the hideous Chicago Spire. We have hurricanes. I don't think that you could engineer something that tall to sustain winds of 200+mph (not at the surface, winds increase with height).

it's here:

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/57...oeder26.article

WHAT'S UP? It's a fitting question for Zaya Younan, bona fide property mogul and chairman of Younan Properties Inc. He announced in the Sun-Times two months ago that he wants to build the world's tallest building, and then some. Now, he said he has narrowed his search for a site to Chicago or Houston. He's ruled out Los Angeles.

A 3,000 foot tower would look no more out of scale in Houston than it would in Chicago. When the existing towers are 1,350, 1,127 and several 1,000 foot towers, 3,000 feet would dwarf all of them. As for the suggestions that it is not wanted here, and would be ugly, etc....I laughed. If it actually was built...and built here...the "we're the best", and "We're the tallest" posts would become nearly unbearable. It would take some getting used to, but it immediately and unequivocally would become Houston's iconic tower, and we would warm up to it in no time. I attribute the naysaying and negativity to the slim chance that it will be built at all.

If it gets built in Houston, perhaps a tornado or hurricane would wind up destroying it. If that happens, then maybe Houston would finally get a major movie set here and not a crappy tv-movie like the one about Clara Harris or the terrible Enron adaptation. ooh......

If it gets built in Houston, perhaps a tornado or hurricane would wind up destroying it. If that happens, then maybe Houston would finally get a major movie set here and not a crappy tv-movie like the one about Clara Harris or the terrible Enron adaptation. ooh......

Yea... let's hope it gets built and then destroyed so we can have a movie made about Houston. :rolleyes:

Yea... let's hope it gets built and then destroyed so we can have a movie made about Houston. :rolleyes:
I liked the Enron documentary. I am not sure I ever saw the other one, although...
Just imagining such a building in Houston is very exciting. It doesn't hurt to wish.
Yeah, but what would be the use of it ... I mean, could they fill it with tenants?

A note about the NW mall mentioned earlier. Much of the parking lot will be eliminated because of the US 290 and Hempstead toll road construction.

Look at the schematics at www.my290.com.

The mall is also the top site for the proposed 290 commuter rail station to transfer to the LRT to Uptown.

Im getting tired of hearing unrealistic damage scenarios by people that have no structures background whatsoever.

California has codes so their skyscrapers withstand earthquakes.

Petronas Tower and Taipei 101 not to mention countless other skyscrapers in SE Asia withstand earthquakes, typhoons, wind all the time.

Downtown Houston has survived hurricanes and direct tornado hits with no more than broken glass to show for it.

Anyone who thinks a modern skyscraper, even the worlds tallest, wouldnt be engineered to withstand any natural disaster isnt using their brain.

How do you suppose he'll get it off the ground with 0 tenants?

Maybe the same way the developer of the Chicago Spire is. Construction of that 150-story builidng is already underway, but because of a paperwork snafu the developer isn't allowed to sell any units until January.

Once again, it's a developer from another country that has the vision to build a new megatower and reap the rewards down the road, while American developers look to the bankers holding their leashes and say, "pretty please?"

Im getting tired of hearing unrealistic damage scenarios by people that have no structures background whatsoever.

California has codes so their skyscrapers withstand earthquakes.

Petronas Tower and Taipei 101 not to mention countless other skyscrapers in SE Asia withstand earthquakes, typhoons, wind all the time.

Downtown Houston has survived hurricanes and direct tornado hits with no more than broken glass to show for it.

Anyone who thinks a modern skyscraper, even the worlds tallest, wouldnt be engineered to withstand any natural disaster isnt using their brain.

Very true. Chicago has four 1,000'+ towers and three more on the way, and it's far more likely to get hit by a tornado than Houston.

Now a hurricane is a whole other matter.

Chicago is going through a massive boom right now, so I have a feeling it may go to them.

But for those that say it will be out-of-place in Houston, I personally think they are wrong. First, we haven't even seen a render. Second, just look at the massive CN Tower in Toronto. Although it's tremendously out of scale to the rest of the city, it's the city's icon and it makes Toronto seem like more of a global city. And lastly, it's Houston. B)

I totally agree with you on that one. The CN tower is massively out of scale with the rest of the city (all of the other buildings are under 1000 feet) and CN is 1815 feet. And nobody complains. They even light it up at night to make it stand out even more than it already does, and everybody in Toronto loves it. Who knows, maybe there was the same sort of opposition when it was built though.

I just read another interesting fact - The CN Tower has a wind tolerance level of 420 km/h (117 m/s, 260 mph). I know its a tower not a true building, but this proves that its possible to make a tall structure hurricane proof.

Chicago is going through a massive boom right now, so I have a feeling it may go to them.

But for those that say it will be out-of-place in Houston, I personally think they are wrong. First, we haven't even seen a render. Second, just look at the massive CN Tower in Toronto. Although it's tremendously out of scale to the rest of the city, it's the city's icon and it makes Toronto seem like more of a global city. And lastly, it's Houston. B)

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

I'd rather see it in Houston, too. It would be an icon not just for the city, but for the whole state and the Gulf Coast.

I would not like to see this building in Houston for a couple of reasons:

1) A 3000 ft building would dwarf everything else - making the current skyline much less impressive

2) Any "tallest building" title will soon be eclipsed by some other building in Asia or the Middle East, where having the tallest building is still important for national pride.

Houston needs to focus on enhancing its current impressive skyline - not eclipsing it.

You honestly didn't think I was being serious, did you? :blink:
Im getting tired of hearing unrealistic damage scenarios by people that have no structures background whatsoever.California has codes so their skyscrapers withstand earthquakes.Petronas Tower and Taipei 101 not to mention countless other skyscrapers in SE Asia withstand earthquakes, typhoons, wind all the time.Downtown Houston has survived hurricanes and direct tornado hits with no more than broken glass to show for it.Anyone who thinks a modern skyscraper, even the worlds tallest, wouldnt be engineered to withstand any natural disaster isnt using their brain.
(sigh)....Wasn't being serious..... ;)

I liked the Enron documentary. I am not sure I ever saw the other one, although...Yeah, but what would be the use of it ... I mean, could they fill it with tenants?

I wasn't referring to "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room". I was referring to "The Crooked E", which featured Brian Dennehy (sp?) and was a tv movie on CBS (I believe). It was just terrible. The previews featured a stereotypical Texas blonde working as a secretary and bleating, "Welcome to Enron, y'all!" [shudder, head shake, vomit]

I'd rather see it in Houston, too. It would be an icon not just for the city, but for the whole state and the Gulf Coast.

I'll have to agree with that statement. I am a Dallasite but am more interested in seeing Dallas fill in Downtown with 20-30 story buildings for a true urban environment, but would love for Houston to bring the title to Texas. If not the world's tallest, but the US at least.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the residential space would sell for in this building? I think it would be really neat if it was accessible to the average person that is living on a realistic pay check to pay check income! If so and the living space was of a decent size I would move my family in.

Maybe the same way the developer of the Chicago Spire is. Construction of that 150-story builidng is already underway, but because of a paperwork snafu the developer isn't allowed to sell any units until January.Once again, it's a developer from another country that has the vision to build a new megatower and reap the rewards down the road, while American developers look to the bankers holding their leashes and say, "pretty please?"
Please explain the differences in financing for development for a foreign developer rather than an American developer. By referring to American developers being beholden to banks, are you saying foreign developers use more equity-heavy capital structuring rather than debt-heavy structuring ?
Maybe the same way the developer of the Chicago Spire is. Construction of that 150-story builidng is already underway, but because of a paperwork snafu the developer isn't allowed to sell any units until January.Once again, it's a developer from another country that has the vision to build a new megatower and reap the rewards down the road, while American developers look to the bankers holding their leashes and say, "pretty please?"
Also, can you elaborate on the 'paperwork snafu' with the Chicago Spire. I would really love to learn the details how the developer (who?) got financing without preselling one unit. Sounds like an Emirates development project :)

Archived