How bad is Home Depot?

I've never shopped at either Home Depot or Lowes enough to value one brand over another. But today while reading the New York Times business section online, I was surprised to see people posting over 100 negative comments at the bottom of an article about Home Depot. They all seem to have the same problem -- poor customer service. A few mention choosing Lowes over Home Depot for this reason.

Is Home Depot really that bad? Is Lowes really that much better?

Here's the link to the article. Scroll down a little to see all the comments.

I've been in either Lowes or Home Depot at least once a week for the last 2 years. I find Lowes to be cleaner, with a better selection of fixtures, such as faucets and lights, etc. However, Home Depot often has a better selection of building materials. Neither has very knowledgable employees, but Lowes' seem to try harder to help. However, the weirdest sales help I ever received came in the electrical section at Home Depot. I asked this old man about some light dimmers. He motioned in the general direction, then started telling me about his oversized fence at his house. Then he told me about the deadbolt on his daughters' bedroom door. I wondered whether it was to keep men out, or to keep her in. I tried to politely walk away, but he followed me, telling me how his neighborhood used to be great, but all the Mexicans moved in and ruined things. I almost asked him if he posted on HAIF under the name Vertigo58, but figured the best thing to do was keep my mouth shut and leave.

After I left, I realized that I had forgotten to buy my dimmers. Rather than go back and get another lesson in how to keep your daughter chaste in a bad neighborhood, I drove over to Lowes. They showed me the dimmers without the color commentary. These days, I usually look up what I need on their website first, so when I go in I will not need to ask for help.

Guest danax

Those comments sound just like thoughts I've had. Lowe's isn't necessarily any better, but they don't appear to support the hiring of non-legals by allowing them to wait for pick up work like HD does, so I go to Lowe's.

I consider it pretty much a self-service place. When I do ask for help, I find I know more than the sales person, and have received bad info that might've screwed up my project or wasted my time if I didn't know better. There are a few who know what they're doing, but a place like that must have a hard time with turnover.

The guys at the local hardware store, even if they're young, know more. The big box stores seem like just more examples of the superficial over quality, an American plague.

I almost asked him if he posted on HAIF under the name Vertigo58, but figured the best thing to do was keep my mouth shut and leave.

LOL find me a casket.

lowe's is just a little better looking than HD. that alone probably attracts more people. service can be poor at both.

It really depends on which Home Depot you visit. I am there every day. The best one in town is 610 at N. Shepherd- that's where all the contractors go. They can answer questions and the place is huge. They used to be open 24 hours, but I don't know if that is still true.

It really depends on which Home Depot you visit. I am there every day. The best one in town is 610 at N. Shepherd- that's where all the contractors go. They can answer questions and the place is huge. They used to be open 24 hours, but I don't know if that is still true.

That's funny. This is the one I was talking about. I'm not really complaining, though. It is just like danax said. In today's big box America, you just cannot EXPECT good service. They all advertise service, but what they really mean to say is that "our service doesn't suck as bad as the other guy." But, they ALL suck to a large extent. The executives know it, but do not admit it. As a company grows in size, its ability to control quality diminishes. It is a simple fact.

GE claimed to have cracked the code about 10 years ago with its 6 Omega program, but it was exposed later as a fraud. Since America is all about the chains these days, we all have lowered our expectations. We had to. But, like I said earlier, I educate myself on the internet before I go, so I do not have to rely on people who know less than I do. Therefore, the lack of service does not offend me too much.

Is Home Depot really that bad? Is Lowes really that much better?

HD is no worse than Lowes and Lowes is no better than HD. If you go to either expecting expert advice, you'll have no one to blame but yourself for the disapointment you will experience. When I have to go I already know more about what I'm looking for than the store manager ever will. The only questions I've had to ask in the recent past at our HD on 610N is where a department is-because they expanded and moved things around. Even that was a worthless endevour on my part because the slug I asked didn't have a clue where anything was in the store he worked in. So for the most part I go to C&D and Sherwin Williams for the quality help. Everyday crap (lightbulbs, trash bags, etc...) I'll just go to Lowes.

I've found that Lowes offers slightly better service and presents their goods better. They also maintain their garden section better than Home Depot. In the few cases where it matters, though, Home Depot generally carries better-known brands and offers slightly better prices, in my opinion.

UGH. If that's the best one in town I'd hate to see the rest.

Back to the original topic: I don't value one any more than the other. They both suck! I replaced my water heater a while back, and bought most of what I needed at Home Despot because their water heaters are Rheem units branded as GE. bLowes only carries Whirlpool, and those units have been an epic disaster in terms of reliability.

The plumbing fittings at both stores were pretty much a disaster area (missing parts, disorganized, etc), and while Home Despot had a great selection of B-vent their selection of connector hoses was atrocious. bLowes on the other hand had like 2 pieces of B-vent and a great selection of connector hoses.

Here is my rant on Home Depot:

I was ecstatic when Home Depot got self check-out, since the majority of my time there seemed to be devoted to standing in line at the only register that was open. However, the people in charge of the sef check-out seem only to be rivaled in their stupidity by the people who manage to use the self check-out incorrectly. I still don't know how someone can screw up self check-out, I mean, it's instructions on a screen, right?! Anyway, whenever I go to HD now, it seems like 3 out of the 4 self check-outs are out of order b/c some moron screwed them up so badly that they need to be reset by the cashier who is too stupid or lazy to do it. I'm starting to avoid the place, since it is getting to be too much of a hassle to buy stuff there. I'd rather drive a little farther to Lowe's, or pay a little more at Bering's.

They also maintain their garden section better than Home Depot.

Thanks for bringing that up. Nothing says plant disease like HD/Lowes/Houston Garden Center. I encourge you all to follow follow dal's lead and purchase all your diseased plants from Lowes since they apparently maintain a better diseased plant garden section. :P

I'll stick to Buchanan's for the healthy ones.

B)

The best Home Depot's I have shopping experience's are the stores on Fairmont Parkway/Beltway 8, 45 & Fuqua and store at Baybrook Mall on 45. Even the one in Galveston, when I happen to be in town.

People are quite knowledgable and go out of their way to assist you. They even offer by saying "Lowes across the street should have it if we don't".

Cashiers are always quite gracious and polite. Check you out fast. They always have stock quite full. Seldom have they been out of a product we need. :lol: Next time I will take pictures of the smiling staff and post here.

Hi Red! I still say your a nice guy! Come on cheers!

I had always liked Home Depot until they lied to me. I bought a gas grill at the Pearland store and paid to have them assemble it. They said it would be 3 days. I wanted to make sure they didnt pull a fast one on me so I stuck a piece of gum under the bottom panel by the right front wheel of the display. No way to see the gum unless you turned the unit over or felt for it. Well guess what??? Yep, they called me to pick up my grill and I felt under the panel and there was my bright green gum. Oh I was a bit ticked to say the least. I got the manager and he said he put it together himself so I called him a liar in front of staff and customers and boy did he turn red when I told him what I had done to prevent the fast one he was trying to pull. I thought he was going to pop when I pulled my gum out from under the "newly assembled" grill. I told them I would never shop there again.. and I do spend big money at home depot. I went to Lowes and bought a grill with the same features and they put it together on the spot and loaded it into my truck. I will still shop at home depot but I only go to the one by Nasa Rd. 1 and I really dont like the crowds there. Theres just something about being lied to ... especially by the manager that makes me a little angry. I later got a letter from Home Depot headquarters appologizing and I got a 50 dollar giftcard.

I had always liked Home Depot until they lied to me. I bought a gas grill at the Pearland store and paid to have them assemble it. They said it would be 3 days. I wanted to make sure they didnt pull a fast one on me so I stuck a piece of gum under the bottom panel by the right front wheel. No way to see the gum unless you turned the unit over or felt for it. Well guess what??? Yep, they called me to pick up my grill and I felt under the panel and there was my bright green gum. Oh I was a bit ticked to say the least. I got the manager and he said he put it together himself so I called him a liar in front of staff and customers and boy did he turn red when I told him what I had done to prevent the fast one he was trying to pull. I thought he was going to pop when I pulled my gum out from under the "newly assembled" grill. I told them I would never shop there again.. and I do spend big money at home depot. I went to Lowes and bought a grill with the same features and they put it together on the spot and loaded it into my truck. I will still shop at home depot but I only go to the one by Nasa Rd. 1 and I really dont like the crowds there. Theres just something about being lied to ... especially by the manager that makes me a little angry. I later got a letter from Home Depot headquarters appologizing and I got a 50 dollar giftcard.

Susan,

Sorry I don't quite understand what occurred and what you did here? You bought a gas grill at home depot, asked them to put it together, and proceeded to place some gum under the bottom panel. You receive a call saying the grill is ready and the bright green gum is there? I must be missing something on how they were going to pull a fast one on you? Were you exchanging a grill so you put gum on the old and they proceeded to give you the old grill back?

Help!!!!

Scharpe St Guy

WRD!! that's where i met my electrical contractor and some guy who said he can install a sprinkler system for me on the side B) i always go to that home depot :) everytime i have a question the guys are quick to give me an answer and point me in the right direction.

btw, unfortunately that home depot is no longer 24hrs. it was cool when it was cuz i would take advantage of that on some projects that took longer than expected. actually, now that i remember in college for structures class we had to build a bridge, and i remember all of us went to that home depot at 1 am!!!

with that said, home depot ftw!!!

Susan,

Sorry I don't quite understand what occurred and what you did here? You bought a gas grill at home depot, asked them to put it together, and proceeded to place some gum under the bottom panel. You receive a call saying the grill is ready and the bright green gum is there? I must be missing something on how they were going to pull a fast one on you? Were you exchanging a grill so you put gum on the old and they proceeded to give you the old grill back?

Help!!!!

Scharpe St Guy

they gave her the display model but they told her it would take 3 days to assemble is her gripe...i think.

Here is my rant on Home Depot:

I was ecstatic when Home Depot got self check-out, since the majority of my time there seemed to be devoted to standing in line at the only register that was open. However, the people in charge of the sef check-out seem only to be rivaled in their stupidity by the people who manage to use the self check-out incorrectly. I still don't know how someone can screw up self check-out, I mean, it's instructions on a screen, right?! Anyway, whenever I go to HD now, it seems like 3 out of the 4 self check-outs are out of order b/c some moron screwed them up so badly that they need to be reset by the cashier who is too stupid or lazy to do it. I'm starting to avoid the place, since it is getting to be too much of a hassle to buy stuff there. I'd rather drive a little farther to Lowe's, or pay a little more at Bering's.

You just described the Gulfgate/Woodridge to a tee. I along with other neighbors avoid Gulfgate for many reasons. The only time I ever go is out of complete and utter desperation. Unless your a glutan for punishment go there. I have known several ex-employees that described what it was like working there. The turn over rate is unreal. Managers seem to change monthly. I had got a reply back from corporate offices stating that the only reason that specific store remains open is the $ revenue that is spent. They seemed to elude to the fact that the atmosphere and demeanor of the employees is not what matters as long as you buy and get out. One lady I knew whom worked there for about 3 years said the staff were mostly GED graduates if at all. Some were recent parolees. True. The shoplifting amongst employees was unreal too, not to mention the customers taking just about any and everything from measuring tapes to chainsaws. Low moral is what fuels the "I don't care attitude' and customers pick up on that quick. They are overworked and managment cuts hours so they retaliate with the donkey attitude. What also drives customers away in case you havent seen in the news is the laborers outside. Seems like every other week there is a commotion outside where the Minutemen crowd is out there with signs and shouting and then the media & cops show up adding to the madness. People see that as they drive by and keep going. The Whataburger next door can tell you of some real doozies that go on. The buses that park there waiting to pick up gamblers heading for Lousiana think these guys will rob the passengers since they have $ in pockets. Any way Gulfgate store is mmm....mmm....mmmm ah... well you decide. Just go visit!

Disclaimer: Comments above are not necessarily those of this Haifer but of the neighboring community. Any similiarity of any living persons is purely coincidental.

You just described the Gulfgate/Woodridge to a tee. I along with other neighbors avoid Gulfgate for many reasons. The only time I ever go is out of complete and utter desperation. Unless your a glutan for punishment go there. I have known several ex-employees that described what it was like working there. The turn over rate is unreal. Managers seem to change monthly. I had got a reply back from corporate offices stating that the only reason that specific store remains open is the $ revenue that is spent. They seemed to elude to the fact that the atmosphere and demeanor of the employees is not what matters as long as you buy and get out. One lady I knew whom worked there for about 3 years said the staff were mostly GED graduates if at all. Some were recent parolees. True. The shoplifting amongst employees was unreal too, not to mention the customers taking just about any and everything from measuring tapes to chainsaws. Low moral is what fuels the "I don't care attitude' and customers pick up on that quick. They are overworked and managment cuts hours so they retaliate with the donkey attitude. What also drives customers away in case you havent seen in the news is the laborers outside.

i agree that the manager is bad but i'll add he's been there for quite a while. a change would be good. most of the home depots i've been to the people that work there aren't knowledgable. it's like most stores quite frankly, people don't care. you just have to expect that, find your items, and hope that a cashier is there so you can leave ASAP.

Susan,

Help!!!!

Scharpe St Guy

Whoops, silly me forgot to say that I put the gum under the panel of the DISPLAY model so I could tell if they tried to give me that one instead of putting together a NEW one for me. A thousand appologies. :blush:

I got no service at all. All they did was try to pawn the dented, scratched, dirty floor model off on me and lie that it had been newly assembled.

you got service, just bad service. the switcheroo they tried was bad but i'd bet it's done more than we know esp if they are pressed for time. not that the $50 helped, but i'd count that as a "little" buyoff from corporate.

you got service, just bad service. the switcheroo they tried was bad but i'd bet it's done more than we know esp if they are pressed for time. not that the $50 helped, but i'd count that as a "little" buyoff from corporate.

You know what the funny part was? They went as far as to actually take the new grill in the box down off the top shelf and put my name on it for assembly. They said I was lucky as they only had one left. When I went to pick up my "new" grill and got ticked at what happened I went back to the aisle with the grills and noticed they still had ONE grill left in a box on the top shelf. They just took my name off of it and put the box back on the shelf. Sneaky people.

going to home depot is always better when you don't have to ask any questions -

and inspect plants carefully before buying at home depot -or- lowes

this reminds me of my recent car purchase. even though it was more than a month ago, i STILL am irritated about their selling/financing "techniques."

ugh - i'll take the BS at home depot any day over buying a car :P

i went to a dealership last weekend and their numbers were -all- screwy

Archived