How bad is Home Depot?

going to home depot is always better when you don't have to ask any questions -

this is very true. always try and do ur own research.

ugh - i'll take the BS at home depot any day over buying a car :P

i went to a dealership last weekend and their numbers were -all- screwy

anytime u guys ever want to go buy a car take me along.....i love negotiating with those guys, it's like a fun who's gonna win game, and it's even more fun when the buyer comes out winning :D

Thanks for bringing that up. Nothing says plant disease like HD/Lowes/Houston Garden Center. I encourge you all to follow follow dal's lead and purchase all your diseased plants from Lowes since they apparently maintain a better diseased plant garden section. :P

I'll stick to Buchanan's for the healthy ones.

B)

I'll second Buchanan's. I'd add Joshua's also. Great selection and service. At Loews and HD they just give you that "here's a quarter, call somebody who cares" look if you ask them if they have a particular plant.

I cant send my wife by herself to home cheapo cause of the laborers.(at gulfgate) .they are inside also, you just dont notice till you get something heavy and they are johnny on the spot with that big stupid grin waiting for a tip..ha. Its really kinda gross...I told the manager about someone stealing and pointed them out...nothing happened. Its just a 3 ring WT/contractor free for all in there.

Both Home Depot & Lowes have horrible, horrible customer service. They have it because they can. I stopped going to Home Depot for awhile because Lowes was aesthetically pleasing. Merchandise was in order, well light, and fairly empty (now I see why). But they pissed me of royally and missed out on a large $$$ purchase from me. I and other customers were paging employees to come to the dept and guess what? no one ever showed. Manager would say they were getting someone - guess what? they don't show. & when some did show, guess what? It wasn

So I go to HD yesterday to by some crackle paint for an old exterior pot. I find the color that's closest to what I need, but the can doesn't state whether it's oil or water based. I walk up to the help counter, ask the guy if this product is oil based, he says yes, and I go home to start my little project. Well after creating my little masterpiece, potting my new prized Norfolk pine, and watering, I find the paint running down the side of the pot.

No real moral to the story other than I was pissed, and as Red said above, I'll do my research online before going back in.

So I go to HD yesterday to by some crackle paint for an old exterior pot. I find the color that's closest to what I need, but the can doesn't state whether it's oil or water based. I walk up to the help counter, ask the guy if this product is oil based, he says yes, and I go home to start my little project. Well after creating my little masterpiece, potting my new prized Norfolk pine, and watering, I find the paint running down the side of the pot.

No real moral to the story other than I was pissed, and as Red said above, I'll do my research online before going back in.

The trick on that is to look at the brush clean-up instructions. If it says clean with warm soapy water ....or mineral spirits ?? That should tell you what kind of base it is.

The trick on that is to look at the brush clean-up instructions. If it says clean with warm soapy water ....or mineral spirits ?? That should tell you what kind of base it is.

Funny that you mention that because I looked at the cleanup label (oil base/mineral spirits, water base/soap and water), and even asked the guy about it. Really, looking back I knew better.

• 3 weeks later...

Lowes is newer than Home Depot so it is a bit cleaner. You can't expect good prices & excellent service at a discount store. Service costs money. More employees & smarter employees would cost you money. Spend your time and do your research on the web before you go to the store. If you need service, go to ACE.

Archived