New Skyscrapers Planned?

bruce_oneal

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just speaking my mind, and telling the truth. And I didn't say no new skyscraper will be built. I said, Downtown will not see any new skyscrapers for some time, at least in the next 5-10 years from now.

Well I was refering to downtown, and just wondering what are we considering a skyscraper, a high rise or like a sixty story building.

Id assume he meant Houston, because in places like Seattle, Portland, San Fran, Chicago they are all the rage - to put in like terms.

I for one think Supertalls - atleast in the states (aside from Chicago, NYC) are dead. Anything over 900 ft. gets to be pretty damn intrusive, and plain. It has to be since at those heights its not architecture. In fact its hard to say many tall buildings are architecture....

I for one think Supertalls - atleast in the states (aside from Chicago, NYC) are dead.  Anything over 900 ft. gets to be pretty damn intrusive, and plain.  It has to be since at those heights its not architecture.  In fact its hard to say many tall buildings are architecture....

Chrysler...

Also it depends what you define as architecture. One person may consider a black box the most beautiful building in the world.

@semipro you still haven't defined what you consider a skyscraper, but since you compared it to midrises I assume then you consider them high rises. If do then I would have to disagree with you. We have built many recently, and all you need is the right developer to build it.

Id assume he meant Houston, because in places like Seattle, Portland, San Fran, Chicago they are all the rage - to put in like terms.

I for one think Supertalls - atleast in the states (aside from Chicago, NYC) are dead.

Chrysler...

Also it depends what you define as architecture.  One person may consider a black box the most beautiful building in the world. 

@semipro you still haven't defined what you consider a skyscraper, but since you compared it to midrises I assume then you consider them high rises.  If do then I would have to disagree with you.  We have built many recently, and all you need is the right developer to build it.

Ummm, what are you talking about? I never compared Mid-rises and High-rises. I don't get what you talking about.

I've said, Houston won't see no new skyscraper for some time, down in the future.

Midtown, said "skyscrapers are dead. Mid-rises are the trend."

Depends on what the meaning of is is. JP Morgan Chase Tower is a sky scraper.

Anyone have a list of new sky scrapers in the US?

Unless some company has short-man syndrom, I doubt we'll see any more that tall in Houston.

What would be the point?

What are you talking about? Downtown is "fallen?"

Um, have you paid any attention to what has happened downtown? We went nearly 20 years without any major downtown construction after the 80s bust, but in the last six years, downtown has boomed.

NEW-

600 feet/40 floor 1500 Louisiana

518 feet/36 floor 1000 Main

453 feet/34 floor Calpine Center

378 feet/18 floor Civil Justice Center *uc

376 feet/27 floor Five Houston Center

325 feet/21 floor Criminal Justice Center

324 feet/24 floor Hilton Americas Hotel

130 feet/12 floor McKinney Place

14 floor Brown METRO Admin Bldg

13 floor Lofts at Post Midtown Square (just on other side of Pierce)

13 floor 1401 Smith Street Garage

Minute Maid Field

Toyota Center and Garage

George R Brown Convention Expansion and Garage

Sabine Street Lofts

Lofts at the Ballpark

Ambulatory Care Center at St Joseph's Hospital

Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral *uc

UH Downtown Classroom

Hobby Center for the Performing Arts

Landry's Aquarium

CONVERTED

Magnolia Hotel

Sam Houston Hotel

Hotel Icon

Humble Tower Apartments

Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn

Commerce Towers Condos

Club Quarters Hotel

Inn at the Ballpark

Capitol Lofts

Franklin Lofts

Bayou Lofts

Keystone Lofts

Stowers Building Office Condos *uc

and I am sure I am missing some projects!

Yes I doubt anything near 900 ft. will be built in Houston for awhile. After all Enron was one of the few companies in town that could "afford" it, but the building they built was only 600 ft.

Some examples of good highrise design from Germany - they have found ways to enliven the 'boring box' by simply adding opperable windows, and interesting curtain walls to their highrises. Note D

@KinkaidAlum

Actually the Downtown Aquarium is a conversion as well, and I'd go out on a limb to consider a parking garage as a noteworthy project in downtown, but your point is taken.

I wasnt saying that our downtown was dead (pretty sure you wernt directing that at me) I was only saying its doubtful that we will see any 900 ft. residential towers under construction here anytime in the near future.

That list on Skyscraperpage is missing several for houston when you look at their dates.

The Dominion tower in Uptown was completed with the dates for the diagram of new construction. Not show. Orion and one of the Medical towers under construction in the TMC are listed.

That list on Skyscraperpage is missing several for houston when you look at their dates.

The Dominion tower in Uptown was completed with the dates for the diagram of new construction.  Not show.  Orion and one of the Medical towers under construction in the TMC are listed.

I am kind of confused by your post. I can fix whatever is wrong.

If you wanna talk about booming let's talk about Miami, Chicago and New York. Now that's booming.

Almost every large city goes through a boom sometime or another, just because we aren't right now doesn't mean we won't again. We would all like to be in a continuous boom, but we have to be reasonable, Houston is no New York or Chicago, and we just had a boom about 20 years ago.

Our time will come again.

Oh yeah, and we may not be in a boom, but we have been steadily constructing, that is a lot better than most cities.

Archived