Brewster McCloud Film Locations

Willsatx

Cool post...must check out this movie.

Don't forget about "Reality Bites" B)

Per my girlfriend, the house scenes were filmed on one of the streets north of Gray near the old Blythe Spirits.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been on the hunt for this film - nothing but expensive vhs so far

Cool post...must check out this movie.

Don't forget about "Reality Bites" B)

just saw Reality Bites again. not the greatest film, imo, but some good Houston scenery

• 1 year later...

I have laserdisc of 'Brewster McCloud' and a 96' high definition screen and would like to offer a free screening of this movie to HAIFers at my home as an opportunity for us HAers to get together and hang out for an evening. I would like to do so only if there is enough interest. This movie was filmed in Houston back in 1970 and is just chocked full of Houston scenery for us historian buffs. We can order pizza and have chips/dip and just hang out for an evening. Info on the movie can be found at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065492/. Please respond to this thread if you guys think this would be a good social opportunity for us here and I'll set it up. I think it'd be fun...

My dad worked on that film. I got to visit the set a couple of times.

I would be interested in knowing who your dad was. I knew some of the local people who worked on that crew.

I'm reaching back into the HAIF archives for a posting I did on this subject when it came up on HAIF a couple of years ago. It was my response to someone who wondered if the movie was any good or not. It includes my memories of attending the world premier of Brewster McCloud in the Astrodome.

"It was a stinker. I had several friends who were hired to work on the production crew and they were there for all the filming. They told me that as the movie went along, they watched the dailies every night at midnight in the old Delman Theater on Main at Wheeler. They had to wait till after the last movie of the night, and the owners let Altman use it for free. Altman's film was a fable of a young social outcast who lashes out, and it looked really good while it was being made. They were all expecting it to be as good as MASH, maybe even better.

Unfortunately, when the filming was done, and all the film was in the cans, Altman had to pack up and leave for Canada to start filming McCabe and Mrs Miller. All the unedited film was shipped to Hollywood, where studio boss Robert Evans took charge of the editing and cut it to pieces.

For openers Evans didn't like Altman, and worse, he hated the whole Brewster McCloud project. Evans didn't understand what Altman wanted the movie to say, and didn't care, so he edited everything good out of the movie and released it. It was a huge flop, and Altman never spoke to Evans again.

It wasn't a flop in Houston though. They held the world premier in the Astrodome. Try to visualize the Dome, with a huge movie screen about 100 feet high and several hundred feet wide, hanging over the outfield bleacher seats stretching from left field to right field, pretty much covering up the old scoreboard. The projector was on a platform somewhere out around 2nd base. VIP's and invited guests sat in folding chairs arranged in rows across the outfield and infield. We groundlings had to sit in the stands. (an interesting reversal there)

It drew a pretty big crowd. I'd guess somewhere around 20 thousand people, and the whole event was the tackiest thing you ever saw. I can't remember if Robert Altman was there or not, but a handful of his cast members showed up. None of the stars though. We only got some of the no-name supporting actors.

But not to worry, because every 2nd and 3rd rate politician, showbiz wannabe and hanger-on within 500 miles of Houston showed up in limos, tuxes and minks, for the obligatory "this is a great day for Houston" and "oh I'm so proud to be here" interviews with the gushing local TV reporters and gossip writers. There was Houston, in all its "local-yokel" glory, and it - was - awful.

My wife and I had seats up in the upper level somewhere above first base, and, you know how you can't take your eyes off something that's just spectacularly and unrelentingly embarrassing to watch? That's how it was. Not the movie mind you. It was bad enough, but the whole god-awful premier scene was a local nightmare I will never forget."

My folks went to the Astrodome premier. My dad said the same stuff about how good the dailies looked, and how awful the film turned out, but he didn't blame it on Bob Evans. I've never heard that version of the story before. A bio I read about Altman put the blame on Altman, saying he decided to emphasize the racial aspects of the film to the detriment of the story. I still love the film. I got to see the wings as they were building them at the dome.

My folks went to the Astrodome premier. My dad said the same stuff about how good the dailies looked, and how awful the film turned out, but he didn't blame it on Bob Evans. I've never heard that version of the story before. A bio I read about Altman put the blame on Altman, saying he decided to emphasize the racial aspects of the film to the detriment of the story. I still love the film. I got to see the wings as they were building them at the dome.

One of my friends was a sound engineer and he helped do the sound for this movie. He just raved about the dailies, saying they really believed they were making a very good movie.

He's my source for what I said about Bob Evans ruining the final cut. I don't recall there being any "racial" aspects in Brewster McCloud. Refresh my memory.

Will it be like an MST3000 screening ???

It certainly can be. I didn't like the movie much either and have it for historical purposes. I didn't want this to start a discussion about whether or not the movie was good, we've determined that it's not. Lets get a show of hands for folks willing to come? Sounds like 4-5 may already be a go, but lets try to get a clearer head count. Say IM IN, if you are interested and I'll set up a time a month or so from now on either a Friday or Saturday night so we all have enough head notice.

It certainly can be. I didn't like the movie much either and have it for historical purposes. I didn't want this to start a discussion about whether or not the movie was good, we've determined that it's not. Lets get a show of hands for folks willing to come? Sounds like 4-5 may already be a go, but lets try to get a clearer head count. Say IM IN, if you are interested and I'll set up a time a month or so from now on either a Friday or Saturday night so we all have enough head notice.

It doesn't matter if it's a good movie or not. In fact it helps if it's a stinker.

It's one of those movies that's so bad it's fun to watch, if there's plenty of liquid refreshment. Those kinds of parties are always a lot of fun.

One of my friends was a sound engineer and he helped do the sound for this movie. He just raved about the dailies, saying they really believed they were making a very good movie.

He's my source for what I said about Bob Evans ruining the final cut. I don't recall there being any "racial" aspects in Brewster McCloud. Refresh my memory.

Well, it starts with the "Black National Anthem". Margaret Hamilton and Stacy Keach's characters are overt racists, and are murdered. There's other stuff I can't recall just now. Send me your friend's name, I might know him.

Well, it starts with the "Black National Anthem". Margaret Hamilton and Stacy Keach's characters are overt racists, and are murdered. There's other stuff I can't recall just now. Send me your friend's name, I might know him.

I had completely forgotten about all that stuff. I tend to forget a lot about movies I don't like.

My friend's name was Doyle Hodges. I got to know him back in the 60s when he managed video and audio in the Public Affairs Office at the Johnson Space Center. Sometime in the 70s he branched out and did a lot of freelance work for TV, movies and anybody else who needed a professional to set up and run sound for big events.

I once ran into him at Miller Theater in Hermann Park, where he was running sound for a show with some group I now can't remember. He worked on any number of movies shot in Texas and other nearby states. Brewster McCloud was just one.

He passed away a few years ago. He was a great guy and I still miss him.

I have laserdisc of 'Brewster McCloud' and a 96' high definition screen and would like to offer a free screening of this movie to HAIFers at my home as an opportunity for us HAers to get together and hang out for an evening.

In what part of town do you live?

Transportation can be an issue for some of us. :)

In what part of town do you live?

Transportation can be an issue for some of us. :)

Near Westheimer & Highway 6, in far west Houston. We are 1 block from the WestPark exit on the WestPark Tollway going west past Highway 6.

I am game; have by metro pass and a map! Ready to go!

Metro 132 goes 1 block from my house, if that helps.

I live on the west side so that's convenient for me. I've already said "yes".

A while back, someone wanted to organize a private screening of that documentary about Riverside, "This is my home it is not for sale" If that's not too much in one evening, maybe they could bring that.

I live on the west side so that's convenient for me. I've already said "yes".

A while back, someone wanted to organize a private screening of that documentary about Riverside, "This is my home it is not for sale" If that's not too much in one evening, maybe they could bring that.

I wouldn't see why not, as long as the others want to watch as well. How long is it?

I would be interested in joining, though tentative since my schedule can be a little erratic.

And "This Is Our Home, It Is Not for Sale" is over three hours long...!

Wow. Then it would not be able to be on the schedule, unless it became a super late night AFTER the movie...

I'm currently thinking that Friday, February 6th would be a great day to do the HAIF/Brewster meet-up movie night.. We'd be available from like 7pm onward and chit chat for a while and begin the movie around 7:45 or 8pm, for those that take a bit longer to get around Houston and find our place. My movie room would have room for about 15 adults, and it would be great to get firm RSVP's as the date would get closer.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the HAIF "Brewster McCloud" screening will need to be moved back to the following day, Saturday, February 7th (this Saturday) instead of Friday. There have been a good scattering of folks who are interesting in coming over and want to know what the yeah/nay's are for Saturday. I live in far west Houston, near the Westpark Tollway and Highway 6. I'd like to aim for a 7pm start time, but folks can arrive early if they wish. Please let me know by responding to this message if you're in...

It looks like the HAIF "Brewster McCloud" screening will need to be moved back to the following day, Saturday, February 7th (this Saturday) instead of Friday. There have been a good scattering of folks who are interesting in coming over and want to know what the yeah/nay's are for Saturday. I live in far west Houston, near the Westpark Tollway and Highway 6. I'd like to aim for a 7pm start time, but folks can arrive early if they wish. Please let me know by responding to this message if you're in...

Nay. Friday worked, but Saturday's no good.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Bumping this long-dormant thread as it occurred to me that folks who were interested in acquiring a copy of BREWSTER MCCLOUD on video may not be aware that Warner finally released it on DVD some years ago, and followed that up with a Blu-ray release last November:

https://www.amazon.com/Brewster-McCloud-Remastered-Bud-Cort/dp/B003XTOBU0/

Also, for those who have never seen LAST NIGHT AT THE ALAMO (be forewarned, there's plenty of coarse language right from the get-go):

Archived