I cut through Aliana today, sort of on the way to somewhere else. I hadn't seen it in about two months. Wow! It's looking really nice. I like the street name signs with the "A" on them. A bunch of landscaping was going in. You know, at first I was skeptical about some people saying it would be like another Telfair... but now I can totally see how that will probably happen. I must admit, I was a tad envious driving through there today!

I saw the massive rec center too... I didn't realize it was going up on the east side of FM 1464. I had seen something big going up on the west side in the recent past that I thought was the rec center, but maybe it was just one of the model homes. Wow, I feel like a dork now...

We were seriously considering moving to Aliana and am just a little concerned with so much traffic going through there. FM1464 seems like it might have some growing pains like Hwy 6 with bottlenecks and such until it gets completely built out all the way from Hwy 90 to Westpark Tollway- and maybe there are plans to do that.

If I could be guaranteed that my kids wouldn't go to Bush High or Hodges Middle, we'd consider moving there.

Hey now! I went to Hodges Bend...oh yeah, good call. ;)

I lived in Mission Bend and went to HBMS & Austin HS some years ago so its weird seeing the new 1464 alignment. I hadn't driven through this area in probably about a year until today. I agree with AK123, looks nice.

Its the unforeseeable nature of school zoning that makes me so weary of moving further into this area. Aliana looks good so far though. It should shape up nicely.

When we lived in First Colony, they zoned our little subdivision and the one next to us to schools on the "other side of the tracks" so to say. They tried to rezone another neighboring subdivision to those schools as well, and the parents had an uproar. First Colony, of all places! Just goes to show, you're not safe from this anywhere in FBISD. You just have to make an informed decision and take the chance.

I thought Aliana was zoned to Austin High? I would be highly surprised if they rezoned Aliana or anywhere else out of Austin High. Especially if Telfair gets its own high school (though being zoned to Kempner doesn't seem to be hurting sales) and all the New Territory kids get moved out of the Austin High zone and into the new Telfair school.

• Like 1

A neighborhood less than a mile from where Aliana is building, called Eaglewood on Bissonnet, was featured on KPRC news tonight. They've had a rash of break-ins and car burglaries.

All I can say for West Oaks Village is that we got a Constable Contract for that very reason. Oh, that and the fact that now the one, yes - count him, one Fort Bend Sheriff Deputy that would patrol our neighborhood will probably be spending more time in Eaglewood & Mission Bend in general.

Edited by Jeebus

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested:

(1) According to TxDoT the new upgraded 1464 will be complete to the Westpark Tollway sometime in September. At that time all of the lanes will be opened.

(2) The developer has built a walkway under 1464 so kids (or parents) wanting to go to the rec center will not have to cross over 1464, but can safely cross via a walkway under the road - along the waterway.

• Like 1

(2) The developer has built a walkway under 1464 so kids (or parents) wanting to go to the rec center will not have to cross over 1464, but can safely cross via a walkway under the road - along the waterway.

I haven't seen this. I'll be on the look out for it today.

Hey now! I went to Hodges Bend...oh yeah, good call. ;)

I lived in Mission Bend and went to HBMS & Austin HS some years ago so its weird seeing the new 1464 alignment. I hadn't driven through this area in probably about a year until today. I agree with AK123, looks nice.

I'm dealing with a tremendous amount of stress right now trying to buy a house. I finally found a house I really like in Eaglewood, but I'm not familiar with the area. I keep hearing these horror stories and I'm getting very nervous about making this purchase. I have an 8 year old son that would end up at Hodges Bend Middle School and I'm scared to send him there from all I've been hearing. Right now, we are living in Stafford and I love it! My son loves the school and I feel comfortable with him there. The reason why I'm wanting to move is to get into a bigger house. There aren't very many houses to choose from in Stafford right now, so I decided to widen my options and here I am getting ready to get this house and keep hearing bad about the neighborhood and schools. Do you have any advice for me please?????? I'm scared to death and I don't want to compromise my sons education. He means the world to me! However, I don't want to not get the house just because of rumors that may not even be true. Any information you might have would be very helpful!

I'm dealing with a tremendous amount of stress right now trying to buy a house. I finally found a house I really like in Eaglewood, but I'm not familiar with the area. I keep hearing these horror stories and I'm getting very nervous about making this purchase. I have an 8 year old son that would end up at Hodges Bend Middle School and I'm scared to send him there from all I've been hearing. Right now, we are living in Stafford and I love it! My son loves the school and I feel comfortable with him there. The reason why I'm wanting to move is to get into a bigger house. There aren't very many houses to choose from in Stafford right now, so I decided to widen my options and here I am getting ready to get this house and keep hearing bad about the neighborhood and schools. Do you have any advice for me please?????? I'm scared to death and I don't want to compromise my sons education. He means the world to me! However, I don't want to not get the house just because of rumors that may not even be true. Any information you might have would be very helpful!

The fact that you're so concerned indicates to me that you could probably move into a slummy urban area and your son would turn out just fine. I did.

Academic data (current and historical) for every school in Texas can be compared using this TEA website. If you're concerned about safety, try tracking down some of the Fort Bend ISD cops and ask them what's going on.

I replied in your Eaglewood Thread.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any updates on Aliana? Been looking here for a while and my main concern was if their whole plan will pan out. Seems to be going really slow and not a lot of homes are being built. I recently heard that Conventry and Perry homes were pulling out as well.

Anyone have any updates on Aliana? Been looking here for a while and my main concern was if their whole plan will pan out. Seems to be going really slow and not a lot of homes are being built. I recently heard that Conventry and Perry homes were pulling out as well.

I haven't heard anything new on Aliana. I drive through there quite a bit, and it looks like they're making good progress on the community center. I was also pleasantly surprised recently to find that West Bellfort goes straight through to Harlem Road (you no longer have to navigate the 90-degree turns on Madden Road). In this economy, I'm pretty sure Aliana is not the only development experiencing a slowdown.

• Like 1

Aliana is one of several communities we have been looking at as well. I love the design plan. The rec center is amazing! The main thing holding us back is that there is not yet a school built in the community (not sure when this will happen, it's up to FBISD) and so it's zoned all over the place depending on your street.

About two months ago, I asked a real estate agent friend what's going on up there. I was told it is NOT TRUE that any builders were pulling out. That it was just a rumor. Now this was a few months ago. If you think something has changed, I suggest you find hard evidence because these days there are rumors everywhere with the economy. Also, all of the new developments EVERYWHERE are moving slower than planned, again, because of the economy. None are immune.

If you're really worried, you'll either have to wait or you'll have to go somewhere more established. I like New Territory a few miles south, but we went in several of the homes and the a/c was just constantly blowing and I could tell they are not energy efficient homes at all compared to new construction by the good builders. You mention Perry, who builds good homes... you could always look a few miles south on FM1464 in Old Orchard, which I think is much more finished but still has some lots left. I really like the communities all along FM1464, but I'm in a wait-and-see because I hate to just plunge in when we're not rushed.

If anyone gets any concrete info as far as updates on Aliana, please post.

• 2 months later...

Any one know what is going on with Aliana lately? It appears that work on the 1/2 finished Recreation Center has stopped. The scaffolding for the brick work has been up for months but I never see anyone there working and unless they are laying 1 brick per day it should be done by now.

I would understand slow down due to economy but this is one of the centerpieces to the development. Just curious....

Drove past there today. I saw workers in and around the building. Looks like they're done with the roof, but they're still working on the outside masonry. The doors to the building were also open, so there's probably work going on inside as well.

Below is what a Fort Bend real estate expert and personal friend told me a few days ago about Aliana:

A few builders did pull out of Aliana not because a lack of desirability of the neighborhood, but because of the financial crisis and economic conditions. Banks are requiring builders to show a profit before they will lend for construction nowadays (which is why there is now a shortage of inventory homes on the market), but because the land is so expensive in Aliana (and the developer won't cut land prices to the builders) these few builders have made a business decision to pull out. Those lots will just go to higher-priced, higher margin builders that will charge more for the home.

And word is FBISD is to start construction for the Aliana elementary school in 2010, which will open for the 2011-2012 school year; this is what a resident of Aliana told me the school district had recently said.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found site plans and renderings on the web. Seemed like it was too big to upload, so here's the link:

http://www.gayledani...%2012.15.06.pdf

Thank you so much for this rendering of the site plan. I can't find it on the Aliana website! They really should include it.

With all the choices of places to live in Houston, why would anyone plunk down a large sum of money to live near a prison? I think its funny, The Upscale Living-Prison Included package. wacko.gif When signs in the area say, "Don't pick up Hitchikers," that ought to tell you something.

With all the choices to live in Houston, why would someone pay inflated prices for a 70's house with low ceilings, non-open floor plan, needing new windows and a huge amount of other work to live in a suburb that thinks it's not a suburb .... western-memorial? And no amenitities or sidewalks to boot. And no zoning so the main arteries all look like a mess. And people with attitudes who always have some comment about the other suburbs.

So, different strokes for different folks is your answer.

LOL. I can't believe people are worried about living next to the prison. Your probably still safer then you would be ANYWHERE in Houston.

It's always the same few western-memorial people complaining about the prison. Actually I think they're related. Nice family, huh.

Aliana isn't even "next" to the prison. I don't know if you'd even be able to see it from there. And the "no hitchhikers" signs are outside of New Territory. Doesn't seem to have hurt demand in there in the least, and that's an understatement.

Any one know what is going on with Aliana lately? It appears that work on the 1/2 finished Recreation Center has stopped. The scaffolding for the brick work has been up for months but I never see anyone there working and unless they are laying 1 brick per day it should be done by now.

I would understand slow down due to economy but this is one of the centerpieces to the development. Just curious....

The Aliana website said the Recreation center is opening in November. It's going to be sweeeet!

• Like 1

With all the choices to live in Houston, why would someone pay inflated prices for a 70's house with low ceilings, non-open floor plan, needing new windows and a huge amount of other work to live in a suburb that thinks it's not a suburb .... western-memorial? And no amenitities or sidewalks to boot. And no zoning so the main arteries all look like a mess. And people with attitudes who always have some comment about the other suburbs.

TOUCHE!

And the "no hitchhikers" signs are outside of New Territory. Doesn't seem to have hurt demand in there in the least, and that's an understatement.

We just bought a house in New Territory. The prison bothers me not one iota. It is far from the worst thing that could be on "the other side of the tracks."

• Like 1

I don't know about new territory... I hear there are a lot of car jackings and home invasions in that area.

A lot of carjackings? I don't think so.

There was recently a story about thieves targeting Asian households in New Territory believing they had lots of jewelry and cash. I think they were caught though.

• Like 1

Because of location. You have proximity to Westchase, Energy Corridor, Galleria, and various office parks along BW8 NW. Personally I think the Memorial is beautiful with its heavily forested pine trees and ranch style homes, though some of the large McMansions take away some of that charm but still leave the trees.

As to Aliana, it seems like another nice MPC but it sure is far from everything. I'm sure if this thing gets built out, retail and basic amenities will follow but it's location is terrible in regards to current amenities and employment. However, it seems (by what I've seen from the builder's presentation) to be well landscaped and planned (for a MPC), much like Telfair.

• Like 2

As to Aliana, it seems like another nice MPC but it sure is far from everything. I'm sure if this thing gets built out, retail and basic amenities will follow but it's location is terrible in regards to current amenities and employment. However, it seems (by what I've seen from the builder's presentation) to be well landscaped and planned (for a MPC), much like Telfair.

I don't think it's located any worse than any of the other new MPCs that are even further out west off the Westpark. And Aliana is closer to Sugar Land and all its amenities than any of those. In fact, word is that Sugar Land wants Aliana. But it would take an ETJ swap with Houston in order for this to happen. With the economy and building slow down, I'm not sure if Sugar Land is still as interested... but once all the retail, especially big box and HEB is built in Aliana, that tax revenue will make Aliana much more attractive.

I don't think it's located any worse than any of the other new MPCs that are even further out west off the Westpark. And Aliana is closer to Sugar Land and all its amenities than any of those. In fact, word is that Sugar Land wants Aliana. But it would take an ETJ swap with Houston in order for this to happen. With the economy and building slow down, I'm not sure if Sugar Land is still as interested... but once all the retail, especially big box and HEB is built in Aliana, that tax revenue will make Aliana much more attractive.

Can Sugar Land take it even though the addresses are Richmond,Tx

• Like 1

Can Sugar Land take it even though the addresses are Richmond,Tx

In the case of unincorporated areas, postal addresses really don't mean anything.

Sugar Land could take it in the future, but first there would have to be an ETJ land swap with Houston.

If this were to ever happen, it would probably be once Aliana has retail built (like the HEB and other planned retail.) This tax revenue would be attractive to any city. This is why the HEB shopping center at Riverpark was annexed. The subdivision surrounding it is next.

Sugar Land could take it in the future, but first there would have to be an ETJ land swap with Houston.

If this were to ever happen, it would probably be once Aliana has retail built (like the HEB and other planned retail.) This tax revenue would be attractive to any city. This is why the HEB shopping center at Riverpark was annexed. The subdivision surrounding it is next.

I know with New Territory, the annexation by Sugar Land will not take place until the MUD debt is retired (2017). I imagine that Aliana and other potential annexation areas would have the same scenario.

Edited by CDeb
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The estimated completion of construction on the 17,000 s.f. amenity center is the first part of November 2009. The center will be completed in about one year from the start of construction. This is amazing for this size building with the quality of finishes that will be included in the construction which includes the fully furnished Tuscan style clubhouse, the 300,000 gallon resort-style pool, and all site improvements.

The $6 million clubhouse will be luxuriously furnished and features a ballroom, two large party rooms, a fully furnished workout gym with state-of-the-art equipment, locker rooms for changing, interactive computer room with Wii stations, a dual furnished commercial-grade kitchen and large covered patios for outdoor parties. The $1.5 million resort-style pool will have separate lap pool lanes, slides, water-park like toys and a multilevel waterfall style design.

These exceptional amenities are available to all Aliana residents for no additional HOA dues.

Below is what a Fort Bend real estate expert and personal friend told me a few days ago about Aliana:

A few builders did pull out of Aliana not because a lack of desirability of the neighborhood, but because of the financial crisis and economic conditions. Banks are requiring builders to show a profit before they will lend for construction nowadays (which is why there is now a shortage of inventory homes on the market), but because the land is so expensive in Aliana (and the developer won't cut land prices to the builders) these few builders have made a business decision to pull out. Those lots will just go to higher-priced, higher margin builders that will charge more for the home.

And word is FBISD is to start construction for the Aliana elementary school in 2010, which will open for the 2011-2012 school year; this is what a resident of Aliana told me the school district had recently said.

Aliana Development has begun to design the extension of utilities through Westmoor for the school and FBISD has indicated they will have the elementary school ready for the 2011-2012 school year. The actual start of construction falls on the FBISD but it is expected that they will start construction in the early part of 2010.

I cut through Aliana today, sort of on the way to somewhere else. I hadn't seen it in about two months. Wow! It's looking really nice. I like the street name signs with the "A" on them. A bunch of landscaping was going in. You know, at first I was skeptical about some people saying it would be like another Telfair... but now I can totally see how that will probably happen. I must admit, I was a tad envious driving through there today!

I saw the massive rec center too... I didn't realize it was going up on the east side of FM 1464. I had seen something big going up on the west side in the recent past that I thought was the rec center, but maybe it was just one of the model homes. Wow, I feel like a dork now...

The changes since February are amazing. The exclusive designer glass monuments will be done in the next couple of weeks. The road to the Polo Club, lake and pumping systems are complete and the sprigging of the field has started. Also, Aliana phase one landscaping is complete.

• Like 2