Alberto Gonzales

dbigtex56

Some of you may be following news reports regarding Attorney General Alberto Gonzales's testimony regarding the firing of federal prosecutors. From all appearances this was done for purely political reasons.

However, when questioned about events leading up to the firings, it seems Mr. Gonzales's memory fails him. When ever asked a direct question he doesn't know, doesn't remember, has no recollection...

Some of you may recall that Mr. Gonzales also stoutly defended tactics used to refresh prisoners' memories at Guantanamo Bay ("Gitmo") - tactics which constitute torture under the Geneva Convention.

So here's my plan to make everyone happy: whenever Mr. Gonzales "can't recall" or "isn't permitted to talk about" something, just haul out the ol' water board, and see how long it takes his memory to return. Heck, even he's in favor of it; and it sure would make those C-SPAN hearings a hell of a lot more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm astonished at the lack of interest in this topic.

Here's our Attorney General, openly lying to Congress, (as are his underlings) and people would rather discuss a ladies' TV morning henfest.

Here's our Attorney General, openly lying to Congress, (as are his underlings) and people would rather discuss a ladies' TV morning henfest.

You gotta have your priorities Brotha ! Rosie exiting stage left is alot more fun to watch than a bunch of would be ambulance chasers getting the ol' heave-ho, as has been the norm with EVERY regime change since the office of the President has been enacted. How do you KNOW that Alberto is lying, were you there with him when all the firings were occurring ? Perhaps if it had been filmed like the Rosie situation, then there would be more interest? Don't get your feelings hurt because nobody wanted to come over here and play with you. We are all just over there, and you are more than wlecome to come join us anytime, you know that ! I'll give you a hug if it will make you feel better, but don't try to grab my buttocks this time, OK?

You can lead a horse to water, but..

FWIW, I think everyone's loss of interest in politics will continue until we get Bush & Gang out of office.

You can lead a horse to water, but..

FWIW, I think everyone's loss of interest in politics will continue until we get Bush & Gang out of office.

Yeah, Tex. Like everyone else, I am worn out. Besides, how many times can you call someone an idiot, before you give up? It almost seems as though Bush has given up, as well. He doesn't even care that people like Gonzo and Harriet Meiers make him look like the worst president in history. He's stuck with his 28% approval rating, and he knows it won't go back up. I think only Nixon rated lower. Even his speech writers have given up. He's still linking Iraq to 9/11, oblivious to the fact that everyone is against THAT, too.

The only bright spot in this is that NOW even half-wits know why defense attorneys are important.

H2B, the reason these firings have drawn such scrutiny, is that there was evidence that the US Attorneys were fired for not prosecuting Democrats, or for prosecuting Republicans. While presidents may fire US Attorneys for no reason, they are expected to be left alone to do their jobs. Itis common for an incoming president to demand resignations when he takes office, but rare to fire one in the middle of a term. Since 1980, it has only occurred twice, both by Reagan, for just cause. To fire US Attorneys for not attacking the opposing party's supporters hard enough, is unheard of.

As is the case in most scandals, the problem gets bigger with the coverup. Gonzales has testified that he doesn't even know what is going on in his own department. He is a national embarrassment. And, trying to get Ashcroft to sign off on his illegal wiretaps while in a near comatose state...well. I'll just let the uber-partisans try to defend that.

Funny, I never thought I would stick up for Ashcroft in my lifetime. :huh::unsure:

This situation is nothing short of amazing.

That said, if lying to a nation to go into WAR wont get people's attention, then why would this?

Ole Cindy's resignation today was dead-on. We are a nation that cares more about the next American Idol than we do anything of substance. Rome is burning and not just on Fox Sports...

I thought Rome burned on ESPN? Not that I care. He, like, Gonzo, is a buffoon.

Something else we can agree on Red. Jim Rome is a total jackass. That little sawed-off jerk talks way to much. His Alligator mouth overloads his tadpole @$$ everyday, but confront him about it, and he will cower in a heartbeat because he still remembers the Jim Everett beatdown.

This situation is nothing short of amazing.

That said, if lying to a nation to go into WAR wont get people's attention, then why would this?

Ole Cindy's resignation today was dead-on. We are a nation that cares more about the next American Idol than we do anything of substance. Rome is burning and not just on Fox Sports...

I completely agree. We have become a people more interested in low-cost, low-quality, high-availability entertainment than in the arts, public works, human rights, or democracy. Speaking of Rome, we've been offered bread and circuses and and accepted them rather than seeking solutions to long term social problems.

... Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,

the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time

handed out military command, high civil office, legions - everything, now

restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:

bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77-81)

Something else we can agree on Red. Jim Rome is a total jackass. That little sawed-off jerk talks way to much. His Alligator mouth overloads his tadpole @$$ everyday, but confront him about it, and he will cower in a heartbeat because he still remembers the Jim Everett beatdown.

You gotta have your priorities Brotha ! Rosie exiting stage left is alot more fun to watch than a bunch of would be ambulance chasers getting the ol' heave-ho, as has been the norm with EVERY regime change since the office of the President has been enacted. How do you KNOW that Alberto is lying, were you there with him when all the firings were occurring ? Perhaps if it had been filmed like the Rosie situation, then there would be more interest? Don't get your feelings hurt because nobody wanted to come over here and play with you. We are all just over there, and you are more than wlecome to come join us anytime, you know that ! I'll give you a hug if it will make you feel better, but don't try to grab my buttocks this time, OK?

Just do us a favor and scrape that American flag off your bumper, sport. It makes a mockery of genuine patriots.

Just do us a favor and scrape that American flag off your bumper, sport. It makes a mockery of genuine patriots.

Like yourself, right Chief ? Go cry to Obama and Hilary Clinton, they'll lend an ear to your whine, and probably serve you some Government Cheese with it. Of course Hillary won't make mention of the 93 attorneys she tossed out on their keisters to cover up Whitewater when she took over.

Try reading this, maybe you'll learn something.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/fe...ml?id=110009784

I certainly don't lack intrest. I just have very little intrest in talking about it on HAIF. You always get the same thing whenever you state facts: some vacant housewife or internet chest-thumper (thanks tex and Red) comes along and screws up the works for everyone. The level of discourse here has gone downhill the past few months therefore my lack of intrest in replying to the crap many here post.

Now if someone truly wanted to discuss the failure Gonzales has been as AG-then I would welcome it. But I really don't think that's going to happen.

Like yourself, right Chief ? Go cry to Obama and Hilary Clinton, they'll lend an ear to your whine, and probably serve you some Government Cheese with it. Of course Hillary won't make mention of the 93 attorneys she tossed out on their keisters to cover up Whitewater when she took over. (quote removed)

Try reading this, maybe you'll learn something.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/fe...ml?id=110009784

Again, the issue isn't with the FIRINGS but with how and why they were fired. Since when did the U.S. Attorneys Office become a part of the RNC? Since when did upholding the law have anything to do with party politics?

These attorneys were fired because they were either investigating Republicans or not going after Dems hard enough. That is a MAJOR problem no matter how the Wall Street Journal tries to spin it.

And, to have the Attorney General of the United States of America show so much contempt for the laws he is supposed to protect is stunning. Actually, check that. It isn't stunning at all. This entire regime has done more harm than any other in the history of our nation (Nixon included). Of course, since most Americans can't seem to pull their head out long enough to understand the issues, we end up with people who still think Iraq had something to do with 9-11 and that anyone who questions this regime is Un-American.

Again, the issue isn't with the FIRINGS but with how and why they were fired. Since when did the U.S. Attorneys Office become a part of the RNC? Since when did upholding the law have anything to do with party politics?

These attorneys were fired because they were either investigating Republicans or not going after Dems hard enough. That is a MAJOR problem no matter how the Wall Street Journal tries to spin it.

And, to have the Attorney General of the United States of America show so much contempt for the laws he is supposed to protect is stunning. Actually, check that. It isn't stunning at all. This entire regime has done more harm than any other in the history of our nation (Nixon included). Of course, since most Americans can't seem to pull their head out long enough to understand the issues, we end up with people who still think Iraq had something to do with 9-11 and that anyone who questions this regime is Un-American.

Oh just stop it KinkaidAlum. We all know that the outrageous actions of Alberto Gonzales or anyone in this administration are totally irrelevant. The most important thing is they are against abortion, against gay marriage, and claim to pray every night.....right?

The bottomline is that either BOTH adminstration firings are illegal, or BOTH are business as usual. If Alberto is guilty then so is Janet Reno. You said yourself that Alberto "fired them because they were investigating Republicans", in that logic wouldn't the same hold true for Reno and the firing of 93.......93Attorneys because they were investigating Democrats and closing in on Whitewater? This is simply another botched attempt at a "witchhunt" on George Bush.

What "harm" have they done to you Kink ? You saying that Attorney investigations are a major issue in this country now ? Velvet, I will be the first to tell you that I am FOR a woman's right to choose, I am FOR gay civil unions, I am FOR praying, but to do it at your leisure, I don't need bricks and mortar to make me feel any closer to GOD. I won't hide behind a bible and scream at you to "LEAVE GEORGE BUSH ALONE ! HE IS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN!" I will be the first to point out what I see wrong in my own party. The problem with Dems. is that now you have gotten to the point that you just hate Bush, to hate Bush, it wouldn't matter if he pulled all troops and brought them home today, and opened the flood gates to healthcare and gave every deadbeat free foodstamps for life, you wouldn't give him credit. You finger pointers would simply shrug it off and say, "Well, now he let all the illegals in and I can't get in to see a doctor because the line is too long, and I can't get my vaccine because Bush made it free and all the welfare people got the medicine and they ran out."

Give me a Top Ten List of what the Dems want changed, and how they are gonna accomplish it once George is out of the picture and you have your OWN people in place now ?

The bottomline is that either BOTH adminstration firings are illegal, or BOTH are business as usual.

They were both legal just not buisness as usual. Reagan, GHW Bush and Clinton by way of their AGs (Bill's-not Hillary's as you falsely claimed above) all fired the previous administration's US attorneys when they took office and then left them alone to do their jobs. Bush has not acted the same but quite legally since slipping in the little clause in the Patriot Act Reauthorization Bill of 2005. It's more complex and not as simple as Limbaugh would tell you to repeat.

So I await every tiered old diversion the right has to throw.

As Albert Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• 2 weeks later...
They were both legal just not buisness as usual. Reagan, GHW Bush and Clinton by way of their AGs (Bill's-not Hillary's as you falsely claimed above) all fired the previous administration's US attorneys when they took office and then left them alone to do their jobs. Bush has not acted the same but quite legally since slipping in the little clause in the Patriot Act Reauthorization Bill of 2005. It's more complex and not as simple as Limbaugh would tell you to repeat.

So I await every tiered old diversion the right has to throw.

As Albert Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

In today's news they're taking about the Senate giving Alberto Gonzales a "vote of no confidence."

I wish they would go ahead and cast their votes and be done, so they can clear the slate for good ol' "Honorable" William Jefferson of Louisiana. We can finally get some real meat for those rabid Senators to get ahold of. >:)

Archived