Library On The Super Block

WesternGulf

I know Houston has libraries, but after living here for 7 years, I couldnt tell you where one was...

I think this would be a great idea.

You need to get that _____ out of your ear so you can hear me better.

There isnt a library close to me, so therefore I dont use one. Does that still confuse you?

I'm certainly confused. Which is it? You don't know where any are, or you got caught in a two-post lie, and now you just don't live close to any libraries?

BTW: Beautiful language for a public forum discussing architecture & development.

Is HCC large and "academically deep" enough to sustain a library of that size? It's at least as large as the central UH library.

Altogether, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out, with the Camden component and politicowrangling Niche alludes too.

Well perhaps it being on the Rail Line, UHD, Rice U, and alot of the Medical Center College's? It would be nice to have such dense structure in that area.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but they also show what are presumably old renderings for the planned conversion of the Texaco building into a hotel. I suspect this is an older rendering as well.

I've got a friend that works at Kirksey. This is a NEW project. The Texaco conversion to a Renaissance Hotel is indeed old but not this one. It has been added to their site in the last month or two...

I've got a friend that works at Kirksey. This is a NEW project. The Texaco conversion to a Renaissance Hotel is indeed old but not this one. It has been added to their site in the last month or two...

Well, I stand corrected, and happily so. This strikes me as a much, much better idea than three blocks worth of Camden boxes.

Well perhaps it being on the Rail Line, UHD, Rice U, and alot of the Medical Center College's? It would be nice to have such dense structure in that area.

TMC already has a library; http://www.library.tmc.edu/. It's a private library (not open to the public) owned by TMC institutions.

It's across the street from the Baylor fountain. There's also the Rice Fondren library within easy walking distance.

TMC already has a library; http://www.library.tmc.edu/. It's a private library (not open to the public) owned by TMC institutions.

It's across the street from the Baylor fountain. There's also the Rice Fondren library within easy walking distance.

I was taking a wild guess about that... :blush: Forgive me, I'm young & ignorant. I think the library would help out with all the new residences in Midtown.

Does your friend actually know that it is a new project or just that it was just recently added to the website? The reason I ask is... I remain skeptical because of the labeling of the rendering as "central library." There was big talk some years ago about building a new central library. Then they decided to do the major rehab of the current central library, so I presumed this was a proposal for a new structure that will not happen now that they are doing the rehab. Hope I'm wrong. I like the structure and location. But it seems unlikely, given that no funding is proposed in Houston's budget AND I believe the owner of the superblock recently said they still plan to develop the site IIRC.

There isnt a library close to me, so therefore I dont use one. Does that still confuse you?

I'm curious as to where you live. I've lived in Houston for 16 years, in 6 different homes, and have always had a library within a relatively short distance.

i sent off an email to kirksey architects concerning the library...here's the response (i'll x-out the name for their privacy)

The "library in midtown" was a master plan design commissioned by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority.

Mrs. Barbara Gubbins, former Director of Houston Public Library System, wanted to see a new central library built instead of

renovating the existing central library. The project did not make the CIP and renovation work on the current central library is underway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx, AIA

Vice President

Kirksey

so there will be no new central library.

i sent off an email to kirksey architects concerning the library...here's the response (i'll x-out the name for their privacy)

The "library in midtown" was a master plan design commissioned by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority.

Mrs. Barbara Gubbins, former Director of Houston Public Library System, wanted to see a new central library built instead of

renovating the existing central library. The project did not make the CIP and renovation work on the current central library is underway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx, AIA

Vice President

Kirksey

so there will be no new central library.

Thanks Mr. Super Sleuth

=====

By the way, do they intend to change the architecture of the facade at all, or are they just giving it a paint job and changin up the inside?

About the TMC library: medical students tell me it closes at midnight, that's why some of them use the library at Rice, which is open round the clock (although outside access is restricted after midnight, as long as you enter the library before midnight you can stay as long as you want), you'd think an institution such as TMC would understand the needs of its students better.

But I still lament Diedrich's closing its Westheimer location... Do you know of any other cafes nearby that lend themselves to studying?

Thanks Mr. Super Sleuth

=====

By the way, do they intend to change the architecture of the facade at all, or are they just giving it a paint job and changin up the inside?

from what i've seen i don't believe they are changing the facade. it is stone/rock material now. i like the modern facility juxtaposed to the ideson building.

• The title was changed to Library On The Super Block?
  • The title was changed to Library On The Super Block

Archived