Soul food places

Where are the best soul food places in Houston? I've tried Mickeys on W. Bellfort and 59 already. The meat loaf and ox tails were pretty good. Just wanted to know other places. I remember going to a place near Richmond and Dunvale(?) a while back, but don't recall.

Thelma's is better than This Is It, IMO. I don't know if the original Family Cafe is still open in Third Ward but that's another option, if you're in the neighborhood--although, I'd place it beneath both Thelma's and This Is It.

And I've also heard that Soul On The Bayeaux is pretty good, although I've never been myself.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I've eaten at Martinique Creole Kitchen several times recently, and I've enjoyed the food. It's not exactly soul food, but some of the daily specials fit the bill.

It's a little pricy in my opinion, but they don't skimp on portions. Maybe I'd call it "upscale" down-home cooking.

They're fairly new (open about 2 months now?), on Holly Hall between Fannin and Almeda. If you go, don't miss the bread pudding...it's tremendous! Best bourbon sauce ever...

http://www.martiniquecreolekitchen.com/

I wouldn't consider Thelma's to be a Soul Food eatery, she's primarily BBQ. The last few times I went there, she got an attitude and unpleasant demeanor with many of the patrons for no visible reason. I no longer patronize her business. If you'd like some good BBQ without the attitude, take a trek out to the hood in the Acres Homes area and try out Burn's BBQ on DePriest. Thing is, it's carryout only, but I think there may be a picnic table outside. Maybe even buy a burned CD from this guy who always sells them outside. :P

I also eat at This Is It on W. Gray sometimes, but their vegetables are starting to taste more and more like they come out a can instead of fresh. They're also going up on their ox-tail prices, apparently there's a shortage of ox-tails.

There's also Just Ox-Tails on Reed Rd. near Scott, it's directly across the street from Worthing HS. Last few times I tried to go, a line was stretching out the door. They had some good gumbo.

There's a new soul food restaurant out on Hwy 6 in the Sugar Land/Richmond/West Houston area called Pass The Peas. It was formerly a Chili's. I would like to try them out.

I've eaten at Martinique Creole Kitchen several times recently, and I've enjoyed the food. It's not exactly soul food, but some of the daily specials fit the bill.

It's a little pricy in my opinion, but they don't skimp on portions. Maybe I'd call it "upscale" down-home cooking.

They're fairly new (open about 2 months now?), on Holly Hall between Fannin and Almeda. If you go, don't miss the bread pudding...it's tremendous! Best bourbon sauce ever...

http://www.martiniquecreolekitchen.com/

You know OTC, You've made me realize something. Creole and Soul Food cuisine fusions are not uncommon here in Southeast Texas. Boudin and Etouffee, and "dirty rice" are likely to be served as sides at the same places as smothered Ox tails. Is this phenomenon comparable to Tex/Mex?

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

I wouldn't consider Thelma's to be a Soul Food eatery, she's primarily BBQ. The last few times I went there, she got an attitude and unpleasant demeanor with many of the patrons for no visible reason. I no longer patronize her business. If you'd like some good BBQ without the attitude, take a trek out to the hood in the Acres Homes area and try out Burn's BBQ on DePriest. Thing is, it's carryout only, but I think there may be a picnic table outside. Maybe even buy a burned CD from this guy who always sells them outside. :P

I keep meaning to try Burns, but haven't made it over there yet. I've always been pretty partial to Williams Smokehouse on Wheatley - great BBQ and friendly folks. I got a rib dinner for lunch there on Friday, and realized that it had been way too long since I'd last been there when I drove right past it - the road had changed enough to where I didn't recognize it for a moment. That section of Wheatley used to be a 2-lane. It's since been expanded to a 4-lane with a median, and some of the trees in the area have been cleared.

You know OTC, You've made me realize something. Creole and Soul Food cuisine fusions are not uncommon here in Southeast Texas. Boudin and Etouffee, and "dirty rice" are likely to be served as sides at the same places as smothered Ox tails. Is this phenomenon comparable to Tex/Mex?

On a recent trip with co-workers to D&Ds on 1960 I had a question about 'soul food' from one of my co-workers who had never eaten soul food. Another colleague asked the same question. But basically they knew the dishes, just not the 'genre' of cooking.

So it got me to wondering if the 'term' soul food is typical among blacks, but kinda unknown outside of that social network? Is it just known as something else?

On a recent trip with co-workers to D&Ds on 1960 I had a question about 'soul food' from one of my co-workers who had never eaten soul food. Another colleague asked the same question. But basically they knew the dishes, just not the 'genre' of cooking.

So it got me to wondering if the 'term' soul food is typical among blacks, but kinda unknown outside of that social network? Is it just known as something else?

Okay ... this is my last review on B4-u-Eat for D&D's if anyone is interested and happens to be out by 1960 and having a taste for 'soul food'.

Enjoy.

1. The term "Soul Food" is typical among Blacks

2. Though some dishes are unique to soul food, others are simply southern "country" cooking.

I've noticed however, that in southeast Texas just about every soul food restaurant I have eaten at has Creole/Cajun dishes on the menu. Now that I live in the Metroplex, I've realized that this is kind of unique to our area. I think thats pretty cool B)

Okay ... this is my last review on B4-u-Eat for D&D's if anyone is interested and happens to be out by 1960 and having a taste for 'soul food'.

Enjoy.

You have recommended this place before. I am going to try it soon, promise :)

If it is bad im going to be mad at you ;)

I just have to talk myself into driving east down that traffic hell called FM 1960 :D

You have recommended this place before. I am going to try it soon, promise :)

If it is bad im going to be mad at you ;)

I just have to talk myself into driving east down that traffic hell called FM 1960 :D

It really is worth the trip.

Hey, I was going around town today looking at houses and came across two very interesting things.

1. There is a Frenchey's (yes, with an E) at i10E @ Waco (right on the corner)

2. I discovered another 'soul food' restaurant called Fruits Cafe on Fulton. Anyone ever heard of that place?

If i remember correctly in another thread, he said it was on FM 1960, closer to I45.

D&Ds is at FM 1960 and ... what is that street ...? Lemme see ... okay, here it is ... FM 1960 @ Beaver Spring Drive. It's not as far away as it sounds if you take i45 north to 1960, go left under the freeway (headed west), and go down about 5, maybe 6 lights. It will be on the right hand side in a strip center located next to a Cingular store.

As I mentioned in one of my reviews ... be prepared to WAIT 'cause the service ain't exactly speedy, but the food is good.

• 2 weeks later...