The Ugly Streets of Houston

Subdude

There was another topic about ugly freeway intersections, but I got to wondering, what are Houston's ugliest streets?

Old Hempstead Highway all the way from where it splits off Washington Avenue out to where it dead-ends at the Beltway. That's at least ten or twelve solid miles of blight.

Not to worry though. It's all going to get plowed under when they widen Old Hempstead and turn it into a toll road, in the 290 expansion project TXDOT is planning.

http://www.my290.com/index.htm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hempstead Highway all the way from where it splits off Washington Avenue out to where it dead-ends at the Beltway. That's at least ten or twelve solid miles of blight.

Not to worry though. It's all going to get plowed under when they widen Old Hempstead and turn it into a toll road, in the 290 expansion project TXDOT is planning.

http://www.my290.com/index.htm

That area has always been so depressing period. Land that time forgot.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned both sides of Braeswood. N and S Braeswood that is. The pavement still looks original like from 1950's. Now that's pathetic. Seems that such a upper middle class area would have had new pavement after all these years. It is old broken bad patch up jobs and quite uneven like a mini roller coaster in some parts. Sure to knock out your car alignment if you don't maneuver in time.

That area has always been so depressing period. Land that time forgot.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned both sides of Braeswood. N and S Braeswood that is. The pavement still looks original like from 1950's. Now that's pathetic. Seems that such a upper middle class area would have had new pavement after all these years. It is old broken bad patch up jobs and quite uneven like a mini roller coaster in some parts. Sure to knock out your car alignment if you don't maneuver in time.

Yes,you are so right.I never thought of in that way though. I guess there were so many parts of Houston that were ugly that I just got used to it. It is pathetic that a major throughfare like Braeswood is the condition it is.My son moved over there on Braeswood into a very nice apt.complex.He wanted to relocate from DT,he was living at the Rice. He jumped out of the skillet into the fire. Paying an exorbitant amount of rent. I told him when he started complaining about the area,that he should just really research alot and buy a house.{he can afford it-trust fund baby] Well,he did buy a house down here in McAllen. To end on a positive note,while there is alot of urban blight in Houston,it is also one of the most beautiful cities in the US. There are alot of places in Houston where you can forget that you live in a huge city

South Braeswood between Stella Link and Kirby is awful!

The bayou is pretty ugly over there too, like a concrete ditch! I'm surprised people run by it. One of the things I like about Buffalo Bayou is that at least it looks natural compared to the concrete bayous.

I agree though, while Houston has some of the ugliest streets I've ever seen, it also has some of the nicest (North Blvd East of Dunlavy for example).

One ugly street that I drive on frequently is Almeda, from Holcombe to the 610 (probably past the 610 too but I've never gone out there). They really need to do something with the median. Plant some trees or something. Half of it has scrappy little trees that don't do much to improve the aesthetic of the area, and part of it is just empty grass / ditch. A lot of the businesses / shopping centers on this part of Almeda are pretty damn ugly as well.

One ugly street that I drive on frequently is Almeda, from Holcombe to the 610 (probably past the 610 too but I've never gone out there). They really need to do something with the median. Plant some trees or something. Half of it has scrappy little trees that don't do much to improve the aesthetic of the area, and part of it is just empty grass / ditch. A lot of the businesses / shopping centers on this part of Almeda are pretty damn ugly as well.

almeda needs some major work over there - the water runoff/retention is terrible, too. yesterday i was near 610 and almeda, and parts of the road way along 610 were impassible - further up almeda near macgregor, about half the road was underwater.

if you go further south, though, it becomes eerie farmland-ish areas (ex-oil)

I noticed that past 610 it looked pretty desolate. Interesting that there used to be oil over there. Good thing I took the alliterate route home through the Medical Center or I would have most likely been stuck. I drove home during the big rain storm and I drive a small car which makes it harder to get through when the streets are flooded.

I notice that when I drive from McGregor to Holly Hall, the right lane is full of pot holes which retain water for days after it rains (some of them are huge!) and the left lane seems to be fine. A car in the left lane soaked my car with muddy water today right up to the windshield when I was driving to work. :(

The other part of Almeda from McGregor to downtown has some ghetto areas, but there's a sort of charm to it as well with the one block of sidewalk retail and a few other interesting spots (the Reggae Bodega and G'z and Z's).

i used to live off almeda near southmore and i really miss it. the road is wonderful, too, compared to farther south.

of course there were a few crackheads in the neighborhood, but they weren't any worse than the crackheads i have lived near in places like montrose or bellaire :P

almeda needs some major work over there - the water runoff/retention is terrible, too. yesterday i was near 610 and almeda, and parts of the road way along 610 were impassible - further up almeda near macgregor, about half the road was underwater.

if you go further south, though, it becomes eerie farmland-ish areas (ex-oil)

Hey guys get real.Maybe you haven't lived in Houston for that long.Flooding has always been a major problem in Houston. The dept.of eng.just can't figure it out I suppose. THANK GOD for the bayous that help with the runoff. I think it is so funny that somebody posted they could'nt believe that people jogged along the bayou. What do they think a germ or something is going to pop out of the bayou and attach to them or what? From what I have seen on this site the majority of people seem to very intelligent.I have also seen alot of whiners,pull yourselves up by the boot straps.ALOT of this is so trivial compared to other peoples living conditions.WHAT do you want a master planned generic community that has a perfect place for every tree and plant? Oh wait the streets are perfect there also.

I just meant that the streets in that area are much more attractive than the concrete bayou. I'm surprised people don't jog in the street more and by the bayou less. This discussion was never about safety (germs), it was about aesthetics. I don't mine Braseswood the street because of the nice trees and stuff, although the road conditions might not be great, but the bayou is just ugly and artificial looking. I just think they should have kept it more natural looking like Buffalo Bayou. I think there are even more efficient flood control methods (such as natural wetlands) than lining a waterway with concrete. Is there anything wrong with thinking that a natural waterway looks nicer than a concrete ditch??

I think there are actually nicer ways to line a waterway with concrete than Brays Bayou, but the natural look is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Take it easy.

Here are some photos of the concrete bayou, which I personally don't find as aesthetically pleasing as a natural waterway.

harris1R1E007.jpg

Bayou1.jpg

I just meant that the streets in that area are much more attractive than the concrete bayou. I'm surprised people don't jog in the street more and by the bayou less. This discussion was never about safety (germs), it was about aesthetics. I don't mine Braseswood the street because of the nice trees and stuff, although the road conditions might not be great, but the bayou is just ugly and artificial looking. I just think they should have kept it more natural looking like Buffalo Bayou. I think there are even more efficient flood control methods (such as natural wetlands) than lining a waterway with concrete. Is there anything wrong with thinking that a natural waterway looks nicer than a concrete ditch??

I think there are actually nicer ways to line a waterway with concrete than Brays Bayou, but the natural look is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Take it easy.POINT conceded you are right about the concrete.To be honest with you

Take it easy.

Here are some photos of the concrete bayou, which I personally don't find as aesthetically pleasing as a natural waterway.

harris1R1E007.jpg

Bayou1.jpg

Brays Bayou is now undergoing a project to widen and beautify it, more trees, less concrete, still there, but less. You also gotta cut them some slack, that's late 50's/early 60's flood control infrastructure technology there, the best they had at the time.

Braeswood has the potential to be one of the most beautiful stretches in this city, but that concrete ditch just kills it. I pass over Braeswood@Kirby frequently.

They could at least take the Astroturf from the Dome and put it over the concrete....it'd be better than nothing.

Brays Bayou is now undergoing a project to widen and beautify it, more trees, less concrete, still there, but less. You also gotta cut them some slack, that's late 50's/early 60's flood control infrastructure technology there, the best they had at the time.

Cool.That is really good news.And I'm always ready to cut anybody some slack.You're right alot of the drainage systems are from the 50/60s.Houston,we have a problem.Come on the money should have been spent many years ago to try to rectify this problem

Cool.That is really good news.And I'm always ready to cut anybody some slack.You're right alot of the drainage systems are from the 50/60s.Houston,we have a problem.Come on the money should have been spent many years ago to try to rectify this problem

The Harris County Flood Control District is currently in the middle of a 5 year, $1 Billion drainage improvement program. I would say that is a moderate attempt to rectify the problem.

http://www.hcfcd.org/cip.html

Come on the money should have been spent many years ago to try to rectify this problem

projects like these are HUGE undertakings. Many years ago they started Sims Bayou widening and lots has been done but that project is still going on. More recently they've started the brays one. as for aesthetics, not sure if the wider bayou will be to your liking.

projects like these are HUGE undertakings. Many years ago they started Sims Bayou widening and lots has been done but that project is still going on. More recently they've started the brays one. as for aesthetics, not sure if the wider bayou will be to your liking.

I think this plan has been in the works for quite some time now, and that they finally have the money. The Scott St. bridge over Brays Bayou was built around 1980, unlike other bridges it is not going to be torn down and replaced, it was already built long enough to accomodate the new Brays. It seems as if most bridges over Brays Bayou built since the 1980s (excluding the 288 main lane bridges) were built with this project in mind.

I think this plan has been in the works for quite some time now, and that they finally have the money. The Scott St. bridge over Brays Bayou was built around 1980, unlike other bridges it is not going to be torn down and replaced, it was already built long enough to accomodate the new Brays. It seems as if most bridges over Brays Bayou built since the 1980s (excluding the 288 main lane bridges) were built with this project in mind.

Well,this surely is good news.THE plan for I-45 has been going on since I was a kid.LOL Seriously it has. We are going to think positive though.You kids are are our future. I want to thank you guys that have put up with my rambling,and overbearing personality at times. That is just my nature. Neither of my sons share my interest in architecture. And alot of my friends just aren't interested by it either.That's why I really appreciate this site.

I grew up in the 1960 area (Huntwick). When we moved there in 1969, they had just changed the name from Jackrabbit Road to 1960. It was still a one lane road, and in many parts the trees from each side would still touch - providing a nice canopy effect. When I was in Jr. High I remember sneaking out with a friend one night. We thought it was cool to lay in the middle of 1960 and look at the stars. ....yikes - it's changed a lot since then. Amazingly, my parents still live in that same house. Going home is like steppoing back in time ...until I see how 1960 has grown. I guess you could say it has OVER grown to he point of being very ugly - I would agree with that. But 1960 will always hold a special place in my heart. Too bad they can't figure out a way to clean up that road - it's dangerous as hell now.

There is something just so cool about "Jackrabbit Road" being the alternate name for a majot throughfare. It's like a flip of the bird to how modern Houston has become and I love it. I always refer to FM 1960 as Jackrabbit.

Holman St in 3rd Ward. Horrible bumpy road that should have been repaired years ago. Its a major avenue to get to UofH.Ugly because its dangerous.........Intersection of FM 1960 and HWY 249. Constanly covered with wrecks.

Holman St. (along with Quitman) is one of the most depressing streets in the city. Add to the fact that the 42 - Holman usually runs about 15mph the whole length of the street adds to the depression. I always imagine a slow, civil rights era twang as I ride along.

• 1 month later...
Is there anything wrong with thinking that a natural waterway looks nicer than a concrete ditch??

No, but for some of us, concrete ditches are perfectly natural. I grew up in Sagemont in the 1970s, and concrete ditches were wonderful places to play, explore and catch crawdads. Now I live near Braes "Bayou" and I never think twice about it being a concrete ditch. Now, the raw sewage smell from Chimney Rock to the loop, that I've thought twice about.

• 7 months later...

I can't stand looking at 59 from the airport all the way downtown. From the airport to Houston that area should be landscaped and the trash picked up. Each time I am on 59 I cant help but to think to tear down some of those buildings that look like there going to fall down any way.

Archived