so, are we to expect that the team, collectively, is a dynamo? Or is there just one player that happens to be the dynamo? Sounds DORKY! How perfect.

Well, dang it, I'm offended. The good news is, if we can get about 4 more people riled up, and someone like Shelley Sekula-Gibbs behind us, we could really reduce this name to shreds and get something even MORE gay, if possible.

When I saw the news yesterday this guy who (I guess) is in charge of Mexican-American studies said Houston intently called the name of the soccer team 1876 when whoever named it knew the history of the falling of Mexico and founding of Houston and knowing Houston was a diverse city.

I could tell ya what gets me but don't want to start anything. But I can tell ya sometimes it gets sickening sometimes. Personally I am not a fan of the name Dynamo's and I'd rather have 1976. Dynamo's name is just too quick of a name to come up and reminds me of "Dynamite" (and I don't mean the "Good Times" quote). To me personally it doesn't ring anything in this city.

I would have loved to see the space of Texas theme go on and be named something unique only to Texas. Even San Jose Earthquakes was more attractive to that region then.. "the HOUSTON DYNAMOS!" of course then again I am not a fan of soccer, or is it football? (would that offend the Mexican Americans too... --calling it soccer?--)

Only cheer I can know that rymes.

"Go Go dynamos!"

...you've reached your high,

you reached your low,

when is the next name change, who knows?

It is Dynamo. There is no s at the end. I am a WASP. I probably will never go to a Dynamo game. However, if the name 1836 offends people, especially the folks who like soccer (argh) .... Dynamo isn't horrible. It is a funky stage name if you will. Aeros, Oilers, Texans, Rockets, and in New York Nets and Jets .... couldn't be worse. Peace :wub:

It is Dynamo. There is no s at the end. I am a WASP. I probably will never go to a Dynamo game. However, if the name 1836 offends people, especially the folks who like soccer (argh) .... Dynamo isn't horrible. It is a funky stage name if you will. Aeros, Oilers, Texans, Rockets, and in New York Nets and Jets .... couldn't be worse. Peace :wub:

I had to think about it for a while, but now I remember where I heard the Houston team name before...

If anyone that loves dance music remembers back in 2001, there was a song called "Cookie Dough Dynamo" by Richard F. It was a HUGE club hit, but 104KRBE got in lots of trouble because they played the uncensored version during the Saturday night "The Beat" broadcast. I only remembered because I was just listening to one of my DJ Irene c.ds :)

Feel free to download it. I guess Houston Dynamo now has an official theme song B)

(p.s., PLEASE don't download it if you don't like strong language in music. I don't wanna get beat up for recalling the track :unsure: )

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

so, are we to expect that the team, collectively, is a dynamo? Or is there just one player that happens to be the dynamo? Sounds DORKY! How perfect.

Well, dang it, I'm offended. The good news is, if we can get about 4 more people riled up, and someone like Shelley Sekula-Gibbs behind us, we could really reduce this name to shreds and get something even MORE gay, if possible.

It is a soccer team. I haven't heard Republican council member Gibbs-or anyone else in this thread-do what you have implied. It's very curious-your obsession regarding gays.

eww! Why do you insist on chasing me around? *rolleyes*

Are you really this dense? You can't possibly be. I know you're a raging liberal and all, but come on.

It was a joke....one that you missed. Whatta shocker. Has absolutely nothing to do with gay people, but I am lost--how am I obsessed with gays? ROTFL! Yeah, um........yer a bit delusional.

eww! Why do you insist on chasing me around? *rolleyes*

Are you really this dense? You can't possibly be. I know you're a raging liberal and all, but come on.

It was a joke....one that you missed. Whatta shocker. Has absolutely nothing to do with gay people, but I am lost--how am I obsessed with gays? ROTFL! Yeah, um........yer a bit delusional.

No one chases you around. I only respond to your prejudicial and genocidal proclamations. Little-if anything-you say comes off as a joke. No one but you injected gays into the discussion. Hardly anyone but you-if anyone-has resorted to name calling regarding opinions on the name of the team; i.e. "dense".

Edited by nmainguy

Well, you gotta admit - Dyna Mo would be a great name for a drag queen, or a team mascot.

Why not both? :lol:

And the team fight song could be Frank Zappa's Dinah-Moe Humm....imagine a whole stadium singing along!

Hmmm....great idea. The head cheerleader could be a drag queen called Dyna Mo and the squad could be the Dyna Mo Humms. Aaaaaah, I miss 'ol Frank. Off topic a bit here (OK, a lot) but the classic Nightline show was the one on censorship of music. On one side of the debate (against) were Frank Zappa and Donnie Osmond. On the other side was Tipper Gore. Poor girl didn't know what hit her. When Frank posed the question to Tipper "if your daughter doesn't know what a weenie is how will she recognize a weenie wagger?". Poor Tipper was a bit stunned. It was hard to prepare for a debate with Frank Zappa I guess.:D

No one chases you around. I only respond to your prejudicial and genocidal proclamations. Little-if anything-you say comes off as a joke. No one but you injected gays into the discussion. Hardly anyone but you-if anyone-has resorted to name calling regarding opinions on the name of the team; i.e. "dense".

Oh, wow, you're throwing all that around again... *yawn* I'm neither prejudiced nor genocidal, but I think it is kind of amusing that you feel it is your mission to paint me as this evil Republican bigot, like it's your personal agenda. That's so cute! Ah, but seriously, if you only knew me! Bottom line is--you don't--and I'd rather you not.

Little-if anything--that you say comes across as intelligent or even interesting...so let's not try, okay? Don't want to strain any cerebral stem cells you may have left in that head of yours.

Please--just ignore my rantings and I'll ignore your...er...spin.

Thanks a bunch!

B)

The Houston Dynamos was also the name of a local soccer team back in the 1980s, so the new name has some local history. I think they did a good job finding a new name. Also, another MLS team just changed its name this week. The NY/NJ MetroStars were purchased by Red Bull drinks, and are now Red Bull NY.

The Houston Dynamos was also the name of a local soccer team back in the 1980s, so the new name has some local history. I think they did a good job finding a new name. Also, another MLS team just changed its name this week. The NY/NJ MetroStars were purchased by Red Bull drinks, and are now Red Bull NY.

:lol::lol::lol: ARE YOU SERIOUS????!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/rbn/

...damn :unsure: , Subdude's serious :unsure:

Yo, how much did Red Bull buy the team for? Anyone know?

We should be grateful that Minute Maid bought naming rights to the park...not the team.

The Minute Maid Astros????!!! :lol:

Let's try this for a little bit...

Reliant Texans

Toyota Rockets

Home Depot Chivas

Gillette Patriots

Green Bay Packers (guess they're safe)

Turner Braves

American Airlines Mavericks

Staples Lakers

Wrigley Cubs

Red Bull New York (oh wait, that's actually REAL)

Kinda makes me appreciate the name Houston Dynamo than before. Imagine all the other jacked up sports names there could have been out there if every team followed that naming concept.

:lol::lol::lol: ARE YOU SERIOUS????!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/rbn/

...damn :unsure: , Subdude's serious :unsure:

Yo, how much did Red Bull buy the team for? Anyone know?

Price not announced.

I'd bet you'll eventually see more teams sell naming rights. After all, at one point it was considered shocking to sell naming rights to stadiums, and now everyone expects it as a matter of course.

Anyone want to venture a guess on who will get naming rights on the new taxpayer funded soccer stadium?

Galleryfurniture.com Arena or The Hilton Furniture Soccer Venue?

Any other suggestions? ;)

B)

Are you saying that you think it's a bad idea to selling stadium naming rights to a company? Personally, I think it's a great idea, so long as the stadium name still sounds respectable, and so far the three stadiums we have sound professional to me :)

...But I think naming a TEAM after a company's a bit overboard. I hope The Metrostars got MAD money (like, at LEAST $200 million) for naming their team after Red Bull. MLS or not, anything less than that is a ripoff.

Just to recall, how much did it cost for Reliant, Toyota, Enron, and Minute Maid when they got their naming rights for our local stadiums? That money's PERFECT for teams to make a profit, and spend/invest that money for better talents, incresing their chances of winning championships. Wouldn't you do the same thing if you were $150 million in the hole because of your share of the stadium, but had a chance to make $300 million back?

The problem I have with naming rights of public spaces is that those funds aren't given back to the public.

McNair/Alexander/Papa Drayton are modern day robber barons in my book. They pocket millions off of the taxpayer's dime.

Shouldn't the $ from the naming rights have been given to say public education, the public library, Houston Community College, or even a public hospital like Ben Taub?

The problem I have with naming rights of public spaces is that those funds aren't given back to the public.

McNair/Alexander/Papa Drayton are modern day robber barons in my book. They pocket millions off of the taxpayer's dime.

Shouldn't the $ from the naming rights have been given to say public education, the public library, Houston Community College, or even a public hospital like Ben Taub?

If that were to happen, why would they want to keep the team in Houston, when another city could offer them a better deal (like having all the naming rights money being kept for the team)?

Well, in all fairness, McNair/Alexander/Drayton aren't any more robber baron than any other pro team owner. The companies that pay for naming rights contract with the team, not the public, so you can't expect the money would be donated to the public. However, it would make more sense if cities stopped funding private stadia for private teams and instead directed more moeny at education and the other uses you mention.

If that were to happen, why would they want to keep the team in Houston, when another city could offer them a better deal (like having all the naming rights money being kept for the team)?

Why is this even an argument? I like LA's approach more and more every day. Can one person show one bit of evidence that LA is somehow less of a city (or even less thought of) because they told NFL owners to build their own stadium?

BTW, wasn't Gillette Stadium privately financed?

Yes. We have an NFL team. L.A. doesn't. We hosted a Super Bowl recently. L.A. didn't. Any more evidence needed?

Lots. Has LA's public perception as a great city dropped? Has its standard of living dropped? Has its clout in the nation or the world dropped? Are businesses and residents leaving town BECAUSE of the lack of an NFL team? Frankly, is anything happening to the city other than not wasting $500 million on a structure that would be used 10 times a year for the purpose of sucking entertainment dollars from 70,000 of LA's wealthier citizens?

As a case in point, around the first of the year, I met several LA residents at a local watering hole, who were in town on business. I asked if LA was buzzing over the Rose Bowl, considering it was No.1 vs. No. 2, and USC was in it. They got a good laugh out of it. LA doesn't get excited as a city over anything! It is 16 million people doing their own thing. They don't care. Only smaller cities really care, because their identity is so wrapped up in it.

Edited by RedScare

Lots. Has LA's public perception as a great city dropped? Has its standard of living dropped? Has its clout in the nation or the world dropped? Are businesses and residents leaving town BECAUSE of the lack of an NFL team? Frankly, is anything happening to the city other than not wasting $500 million on a structure that would be used 10 times a year for the purpose of sucking entertainment dollars from 70,000 of LA's wealthier citizens?

As a case in point, around the first of the year, I met several LA residents at a local watering hole, who were in town on business. I asked if LA was buzzing over the Rose Bowl, considering it was No.1 vs. No. 2, and USC was in it. They got a good laugh out of it. LA doesn't get excited as a city over anything! It is 16 million people doing their own thing. They don't care. Only smaller cities really care, because their identity is so wrapped up in it.

...and that would explain why L.A. was the first American city to announce that they're bidding for the 2016 Olympics.

Remember, nobody HAS to have any sports team. It's only a want. And many cities, including L.A., have publicly stated that they would like to have another team representing them (L.A's of course wanting football). Don't forget the city that Bob McNair and our city officials had to beat out in order to get the Texans, and don't forget the $700 million that he spent out of his own pocket to get it.

Also have to remember that the goal for city officials everywhere is to convince the public that the $300 million or more that they put in on a stadium will be put to good use. Whether if it actually DOES go to good use depends on the city. But nobody NEEDS any team. Some people love sports enough to have the city BUY the team itself. Look at Green Bay. But did they HAVE to in order to survive?

I hope Houston Dynamo's stadium is used to it's full potential.