Lakewood Church At 3700 Southwest Fwy.

houstonsemipro

• 3 weeks later...
I think they're just trying to meet the needs of their congregants; i.e. be a one-stop place to meet the community's needs. When they start selling Lakewood Church clothing lines and shoes, maybe Wal-mart might start to worry.

i beg to differ. they are trying to pay these ENORMOUS mortgages. do you know much the monthly note on an $10M building purchase and an $80M renovation runs? can't be cheap.

The compaq center logo was removed this past weekend.  Some major progress is being made on the project.

one of the local tv stations did a story on it a few weeks back. they are gonna have a really nice interior. and hopefully more space for their congregation. i am not a minister and generally do not subscribe to mega church concepts (td jakes, osteen, the bakers before their downfall, etc.) but i listened to one of his sermons one morning on television (usa channel i believe), and i was blown away. it seemed like he (his message, the message of the God?) was talking right to me. i would like to visit the church once it is completed just to see what the power of a people can do.

• 1 month later...
Hehe.. Its amazing how you can drive by something everyday, but be so pre-occupied with traffic, kids, the radio, breakfast, paperwork, or non-driving idiots swerving, etc etc that you might not even notice something like that. It happens. :)

Heres the link to the other discussion:  New Lakewood Church Central Thread (Under: Going Up!)

Enjoy.. ;)

they are suppose to open for services in July although I am a little skeptical. Originally they were slated for Easter. I am OK with this since I think Lakewood is a pretty normal church. They really do cross many demographics and political idealogy. What scares the hell out of me is Dr. Ed Young and his band of Christian Right getting a hold of the Dome and half a billion dollars.

sorry for those who might be offended. I went to Second Baptist School for elementary and middle school. I have my reasons for being afraid of those people.

Did anyone else notice how they're converting the Compaq Center into a church?  I couldn't believe it when I saw that sign!  Here's some general info I found through Google.  Sorry if this was already discussed somewhere else.

http://www.injoystewardship.com/solutions/...05_lakewood.htm

Are you kidding or new to Houston? The deal to lease the building to Lakewood Church was one of the biggest news stories in town a couple years ago. It involved lawsuits regarding the other tenants of Greenway Plaza, it threatened to keep the Rockets from playing in Toyota Center on schedule, it was a BIG deal.

It's been under construction for nearly a year.

"The Summit of Love" scares me a bit. I don't know what I'd rather have in its place, but the city has made a huge gamble in leasing the facility to the church. JoelOsteen.com has done something incredible in being able to market his baptized Tony Robbins formula for the past 6 years, but I'm nervous to see if he can hold on for the next 30.

I wouldn't compare Joel.com to Baker, Swaggart, Tilton, etc. in terms of his personal life. Though the churches are cut from the same theological cloth, Joel.com doesn't plead for money, etc. like those guys. The danger is that in any organization built around a charismatic leader, one slip and the whole thing tumbles to the ground.

I am surpised in reading the discussions on this forum about megachurches how no one has commented on the car-cultureness of the modern "mega-church". Wouldn't it have more of an impact on the community if people went to church close to where they live? It's nothing new with Lakewood. It's been happening for generations in Houston with the big Baptist churches. What if instead of leasing and renovating the Compaq Center, Lakewood built smaller 1500-person buildings around the city and even "beamed" Joel.com into each community? (The cynic in me wants to say that it's because leasing the Summit is higher profile and seen as "moving on up" when compared to their current neighborhood. Funny, because one of the reasons that I respected Joel.com's father is that he stuck around in the slums of NE Houston instead of moving to a "better" neighborhood.)

Genghis Kahn

• 2 weeks later...
"The Summit of Love" scares me a bit.  I don't know what I'd rather have in its place, but the city has made a huge gamble in leasing the facility to the church.  JoelOsteen.com has done something incredible in being able to market his baptized Tony Robbins formula for the past 6 years, but I'm nervous to see if he can hold on for the next 30. 

I wouldn't compare Joel.com to Baker, Swaggart, Tilton, etc. in terms of his personal life.  Though the churches are cut from the same theological cloth, Joel.com doesn't plead for money, etc. like those guys.  The danger is that in any organization built around a charismatic leader, one slip and the whole thing tumbles to the ground.

I am surpised in reading the discussions on this forum about megachurches how no one has commented on the car-cultureness of the modern "mega-church".  Wouldn't it have more of an impact on the community if people went to church close to where they live?  It's nothing new with Lakewood.  It's been happening for generations in Houston with the big Baptist churches.  What if instead of leasing and renovating the Compaq Center, Lakewood built smaller 1500-person buildings around the city and even "beamed" Joel.com into each community?  (The cynic in me wants to say that it's because leasing the Summit is higher profile and seen as "moving on up" when compared to their current neighborhood.  Funny, because one of the reasons that I respected Joel.com's father is that he stuck around in the slums of NE Houston instead of moving to a "better" neighborhood.)

Genghis Kahn

Well I go to Lakewood and the only thing that has bothered IS the location of the current church. Not because of it being in the ghetto (I was raised in a neighborhood just like Settegast), but because of how all the traffic ties up that area on Sundays. I don't think that moving to Compaq is "moving up" so much as it making economic sense.

As far a Joel and hanging on for thirty years--he will as long as he doesn't get full of himself. What happened to people like Swaggart and Baker (who are both preaching again, btw) was purely out of the Bible "pride comes before a fall". These people presented an infallible image, while Joel doesn't. I've known people who's main goal in life was to pastor a church and they go to school for it. Joel has done neither--in fact, I think he even dropped out of college.

He's also so presentable on TV b/c that's what he did at church before he was pastor. He talks about wearing certain colored suit b/c of how the camera captures it and how the design of the stage was to fit well with TV. When he's talking and has to cough, you see he has the presence of mind to cover his microphone. I see nothing wrong with a practical skill being used to promote a church.

A big reason behind Lakewood taking on the Summit is economics and access. The is very centralized and is located in a office zone that has ample parking. The area is used to large events and can handle the extra traffic.

I am fine with Lakewood as they now. But if a power struggle occurs or a more conservative faction takes over and pushes their agenda on the congregation then I will have problems. As I stated in above. I am seriously afraid of the message preached at Second Baptist and some other ultra Christian Right money grubbing churches. I do not see Lakewood as that sort of threat. Lets hope they stay that way (and I think that is what drives much of their success).

I am not trying to offend anyone who worships at Second Baptist, I just do not agree with their intrusive way of raising money.

A big reason behind Lakewood taking on the Summit is economics and access.  The is very centralized and is located in a office zone that has ample parking.  The area is used to large events and can handle the extra traffic.   

I am fine with Lakewood as they now.  But if a power struggle occurs or a more conservative faction takes over and pushes their agenda on the congregation then I will have problems.    As I stated in above.  I am seriously afraid of the message preached at Second Baptist and some other ultra Christian Right money grubbing churches.    I do not see Lakewood as that sort of threat.  Lets hope they stay that way (and I think that is what drives much of their success).

I am not trying to offend anyone who worships at Second Baptist,  I just do not agree with their intrusive way of raising money.

You may not be trying to offend anyone but in my case you have done so. My brother is a music minister with 2nd and I know first hand what a fine man Dr Young is. Give an example of why this man (Dr Young) scares you.

As far as Joel Osteen not being a right winger, you could not be farther from the truth. Pay attention to his messages and his fathers messages and you will find that he is very right wing. The difference is that Osteen is more of a motivational speaker than anything else thus he comes across as more accepting.

I don't understand how a discussion involving the summit has to turn into a religious debate. Stop It!

Guest KOKON Steel

that church is gonna be awesome! Its so huge and joel osteen is like the next Pope.

Pope-on-a-rope.

Inside compact their gonna have joel osteen likeness nailed to a cross because he thinks hes the second coming of jesus.

Copact center is a great place to worship a diety. I mean I do not know wheter to chant "ROCKETS ROCKETS" or "JESUS JESUS" or "AEROS AEROS" or "OSTEEN OSTEEN" or even "ANGUS ANGUS" cuz i saw a acdc concert there once and it was AWESOME they were all "ANGUS ANGUS"

Perfect building. i cant wait to convert to whateveritis that those people worship.

THE KOK STEALER

As growing up catholic, when ever a priest would talk about money he would get hit hard the next week when attendance would drop. No ever wants to hear a religious figure talk about how they need money.

I have watched one or two of lakewoods televised sermons. They aren't that bad, but I personally taken what I have learn from 13 years of religious education to live my life now. I really don't believe in organized religion, but i have great respect for religious leaders.

People such as Pope John Paull II and Mother Theresa are the best examples.

As a gay man with catholic upbringing, my alliegences seem split, but i truly believe i can be of a conservative mind and moral values and be able to live my life with my partner. Christianity isn't right wing or antigay, the organizations are. Some Christian organizations are full blown left wing liberals too. Look at gay christian churches. Look at Hillary Clinton who's mentor was a hardline Methodist preacher who shape most of her views as of today.

As for Lakewood taking over the Summit (and/or Compaq), I say go for it. The place would have remained unused if some didn't take over it. And if it is true that they are leasing it and not have bought it, then in the future they may move or not exist and the updated facility will be available again.

I heard that the church will lease the facility for when they are not using to businesses and other uses.